Off topic: Off-the-beaten-track spots in London?
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 20:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2002

I will be in London the weekend of the15-17 of November. It has been years since I have been there. Therefore, I am looking for colleagues living in this city who could give hints what to visit during a weekend (preferably outside the beaten track) and who could show me around (if you have time).

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Don't go to the London eye Oct 12, 2002

It\'s expensive, you must buy your tickets a long time in advance, so you can\'t know how the weather will be, and you must queue. It\'s a waste of time for a short stay.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-13 01:59 ]

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 12, 2002

You can have a look at the Time out website to see what\'s on on the weekend you\'re coming. Time out is a magazine with concerts/shows/exhibitions etc. in London, in case you don\'t know it. You can book tickets ahead on the Internet for the London eye so I would recommend it. I think there\'s a deal for £20 for this visit + another visit (can\'t remember which one !). Somewhere along the Thames, you will find the new City hall building, there\'s the millenium bridge as well. There are quite a... See more
You can have a look at the Time out website to see what\'s on on the weekend you\'re coming. Time out is a magazine with concerts/shows/exhibitions etc. in London, in case you don\'t know it. You can book tickets ahead on the Internet for the London eye so I would recommend it. I think there\'s a deal for £20 for this visit + another visit (can\'t remember which one !). Somewhere along the Thames, you will find the new City hall building, there\'s the millenium bridge as well. There are quite a few new shows at the moment, some with famous American actors/actresses for example, so you might want to see one. Can\'t think of anything else at the moment. Good luck!Collapse

Jos D'Aniello
Jos D'Aniello
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't miss Oct 13, 2002

[quote]

Don\'t miss Camden Lock and the market .....

and when you come back let us know ...

Enjoy

[addsig]

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Take a walking tour!!! Oct 13, 2002

Hi,

I went to England last Christmas and as I have been there a number of times (my husband is British) we decided to do something different.

We took a Walking Tour - actually, I took part in 2 tours and my husband in 3... \"Ghosts...\" and \"Jack the Ripper\", and my husband went also in the \"Charles Dickens\" one.

You can find them
... See more
Hi,

I went to England last Christmas and as I have been there a number of times (my husband is British) we decided to do something different.

We took a Walking Tour - actually, I took part in 2 tours and my husband in 3... \"Ghosts...\" and \"Jack the Ripper\", and my husband went also in the \"Charles Dickens\" one.

You can find them in the net:

http://london.walks.com/

Hope you enjoy it!

Best

Adriana

Brazil
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does the beaten track include... Oct 14, 2002

the Meridian Line?

I think it does not, as most tourists who visit London do not go to this incredible place which is about 20´ from Tower Bridge (by underground).

Don´t miss the pleasure of standing up with one foot on the Western Hemisphere and the other one on the Eastern Hemisphere!

http://greenwichmeridian.com/

Aurora

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not off the beaten track but... Oct 14, 2002

I think it would be a shame not to visit the revamped south bank of the Thames, taking in the Tate Modern, with the massive new scuplture by Anish Kapoorin the vast entrance hall, and amazing views across to St Pauls. Just along from taht is the London Eye, which I found well worth the wait, for its fantastic views down on to the Palace of Westminster and the rest of London.

Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
British Museum Oct 14, 2002

I lived in London last year and they reopnened the Reading Room in the British Museum, which I thought was absolutely wonderful! The British Museum\'s Egyptian collection was my favorite...so I would go there.

You can get more info on http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/

Enjoy!

--Ann

Kasia Trzcińska-Draper (X)
Kasia Trzcińska-Draper (X)
Local time: 19:35
Polish to English
+ ...
Some of my favourite places... Oct 15, 2002

...would include the Sir John Soane\'s Museum - a beautiful place, full of character and rare works of art. Check http://www.soane.org/ and see if it is your cup of tea. At the moment, they also have an exhibition of contemporary arts on (Sphere), with a few famous names throwing their works in. Not open on Sundays or Mondays.

...if you are a food lover, check out the Borough Market (near London Bridge, righ
... See more
...would include the Sir John Soane\'s Museum - a beautiful place, full of character and rare works of art. Check http://www.soane.org/ and see if it is your cup of tea. At the moment, they also have an exhibition of contemporary arts on (Sphere), with a few famous names throwing their works in. Not open on Sundays or Mondays.

...if you are a food lover, check out the Borough Market (near London Bridge, right next to the Southwark Cathedral), on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings and afternoons. Great place to get a snack, a drink, to hang out, or stock up for the rest of your stay in London www.boroughmarket.org.uk

From there, you can find your way to the Thames and walk west along the river. Occasionally and in places the South Bank walk does get crowded - but don\'t give up, as soon as you get to Westminster Bridge you\'ll notice that most of the people decide to cross the river to see the Houses of Parliament. If you walk a little bit further along the bank, you\'ll come across another quirky place, the Museum of Garden History. Their garden may look a bit sad in November (actually, I hope they keep it open in winter, I am not 100% sure!) but it contains the graves of William Bligh (Captain of the famous Bounty) and the Tradescants (are you a fan of Jeanette Winterson\'s Sexing the Cherry?)

www.cix.co.uk/~museumgh/index.htm

Hey - I\'ll shut up now! Have a great time in London
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Off-the-beaten-track spots in London?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »