Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:43
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 9, 2006

This is very "off topic", I know, but I would appreciate some advice regarding a possible visit to Costa Rica next year.

I have read that the dry season is between November and April, and that the rainy season starts in May. The travel agency runs their tours between May and October. During this time (i.e. May to October), when would be the best time to travel for someone who is allergic to mosquitoe bites?

Any pointers welcome…

With thanks.

... See more
This is very "off topic", I know, but I would appreciate some advice regarding a possible visit to Costa Rica next year.

I have read that the dry season is between November and April, and that the rainy season starts in May. The travel agency runs their tours between May and October. During this time (i.e. May to October), when would be the best time to travel for someone who is allergic to mosquitoe bites?

Any pointers welcome…

With thanks.

Wenke
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:43
French to Spanish
+ ...
¡Mosquitos al ataque! Oct 9, 2006

I don't know the life-cycle of mosquitos, but they shure are there when it rains... and when it doesn't rain!
How allergic to mosquitoe bites are you?
That could be a very serious problem. Any vaccin in your country against it?
By the way, get used to it: mosquitos don't bite -that's for spiders-, they pierce, or whatever it is called, just like scorpions.

Good memories of Costa Rica: specialy Nicoya Peninsula... what sunsets! Had to cut my hair, though, when I c
... See more
I don't know the life-cycle of mosquitos, but they shure are there when it rains... and when it doesn't rain!
How allergic to mosquitoe bites are you?
That could be a very serious problem. Any vaccin in your country against it?
By the way, get used to it: mosquitos don't bite -that's for spiders-, they pierce, or whatever it is called, just like scorpions.

Good memories of Costa Rica: specialy Nicoya Peninsula... what sunsets! Had to cut my hair, though, when I came in from Nicaragua. (Well, other times, I guess).
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
Best time to travel to Central America. . . . Oct 9, 2006

Best time to travel to Costa Rica for someone who is allergic to mosquito bites?

The last ice-age!

Otherwise buy a lot of DEET. But if you do go, I recommend The Alta Hotel in San Jose. A little piece of heaven in Escazu. A nice jumping-off point before heading out to the jungle.

Saludos!

Jason

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 08:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan through May Oct 9, 2006

Hi Wenke,

I just asked someone from Costa Rica. She said there are mosquitos year-round, so you should use some type of repellant, but the best time would be between January and May.

I'm jealous because my husband is from Costa Rica and I still haven't gone. Enjoy for me!

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
English to Italian
my 2 cents.. Oct 10, 2006

For more info on imunizations, try this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Check with your physician if you need inoculations (including the one for malaria and dengue fever) before going to CR, and how far in advance you need to get them.

Also, try to wear pants instead of shorts, and cotton long- sleeved shirts rather than tank tops. At least you won't gi
... See more
For more info on imunizations, try this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Check with your physician if you need inoculations (including the one for malaria and dengue fever) before going to CR, and how far in advance you need to get them.

Also, try to wear pants instead of shorts, and cotton long- sleeved shirts rather than tank tops. At least you won't give mosquitos a lot of surface to bite on! Or wear them if you're going to take a tour of the forest areas.

As other have stated, take some repellant. Deet is good, but I'm not sure about it funky smell. Avon should also have a good repellant.

Rainy season is from May to Oct. It can rain in the morning, in the afternoon, or all day (weather is unpredictable, remember), and it rains more in the forest areas. Take a rain jacket, just in case.

Some people, when traveling abroad, will experience stomach problems, so follow the common rules of drinking bottled water, don't eat raw or unpeeled food, don't drink any drinks with ice cubes. I would take some pills just in case you have gastrointestinal problems...
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
My wonderful country Oct 11, 2006

Our short dry season goes from late December to mid-May, despite you can have some unexpected "aguaceros" (downpours) at any time.

Mosquitoes are common in the Guanacaste region and in Limon (coastal areas). In some areas, you will find a lot of "purrujas" (an insect similar to a mosquito).

Tours are run year round by different agencies. For example, in July-mid August, there are two “micro” dry seasons: the canícula and the veranillo de San Juan (little summer).... See more
Our short dry season goes from late December to mid-May, despite you can have some unexpected "aguaceros" (downpours) at any time.

Mosquitoes are common in the Guanacaste region and in Limon (coastal areas). In some areas, you will find a lot of "purrujas" (an insect similar to a mosquito).

Tours are run year round by different agencies. For example, in July-mid August, there are two “micro” dry seasons: the canícula and the veranillo de San Juan (little summer).

Costa Rica occupies a privileged spot in the heart of Central America. While its territory of 19,652 square miles touches both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, the country is surprisingly accessible - one can travel from coast to coast in just three hours by car (or 45 minutes by plane).

The Caribbean region of Costa Rica stands out for its variety of aquatic ecosystems and its beautiful white and black sand beaches, providing an ideal setting for activities such as sport fishing, snorkeling, and sun bathing. The Pacific coast concentrates big tourist centers and its beaches are very popular for surfing, for example Esterillos, Jaco, Hermosa, Boca Barranca. In the Golfito region, near the Marino Ballena National Park, surfing fans can find the famous "long lefthander wave."
Costa Rica is a land of volcanoes, rain forests, waterfalls, and rivers. Adventure travelers can choose from a variety of activities such as rafting, snorkeling, kayaking, sport fishing, surfing, and lots more. The most challenging activity will be choosing what to do!
One of Costa Rica's main attractions is the Arenal Volcano. This active volcano will delight lucky visitors with a fire show, with rock and lava eruption. At the volcano's foot, visitors can find one of Costa Rica's best windsurf spots, because winds on the lake can reach 45 miles per hour.
In addition, those looking for a little adrenaline rush can go bungee jumping from the bridge over the Colorado River (located just one half hour from San Jose) or riding in a hot-air balloon.

Considered one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world, Costa Rica is divided in 20 natural parks, 8 biological reserves, and a series of protected areas that captivate ecotourism lovers. The variety of activities includes horseback riding, hiking mountainous paths in the cloud forests, and guided bird-watching tours.
Tortuguero National Park is especially famous for sea turtle nesting that takes place every year, and the natural canals that abound with protected species such as crocodiles, manatees, and otters.

In general, you can come at any time and enjoy beautiful sunsets, forests, flora and fauna.

If you need more information, you can access the official website of the Costa Rican Board of Tourism:
http://www.visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/home.asp
Collapse

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:43
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Oct 17, 2006

... will definitely book for next year (and take lots of precautions like insect repellant etc.)

Thanks for all your comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Travel advice: Costa Rica

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »