Off topic: Loony (but realy loony !!) laws about animals
Thread poster: C Greene

C Greene  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:23
Partial member
English to French
+ ...
Oct 22, 2002

While searching the Net for some legal material, we came across this website ...

Well, we knew laws could be strange, but we never imagined they could be THAT strange !!!

Hope you enjoy

Direct link Reply with quote

A. DePaiva
English to German
Really entertaining Oct 22, 2002

Thank you very much!

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
Genius has limitations Oct 22, 2002

...stupidity is boundless.

At first I thought these reports were mere urban legends (some of them may be), but I\'ve just verified the second one on the list you\'ve mentioned:

\"The local council in Lorinc, Hungary issued new regulations in 2001, saying cats can only be taken on to the street on leads. Officials say the measure will protect the public from the \'dangerous menace of free range cats.\'\"

Well, apparently there\'s even more to it. According to Hungarian news services, the regulation

a) prohibits the eating of animal excrements (with a detailed list of what qualifies as animal excrement)

b) forces holders of a hunting licence to shoot all cats they catch sight of outside the town\'s borders

As reported by two Hungarian news services:

(both links in Hungarian, unfortunately)

I\'m less proud of my Hungarian origins now

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-22 18:15 ]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
LOL Oct 22, 2002

\"No dog should be in a public place without its master on a leash\".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Loony (but realy loony !!) laws about animals

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs