Off topic: New York, New York
Thread poster: xxxEmmanuelleAn
xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
English to French
+ ...
Nov 11, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am going to New York for Xmas holidays. Can't wait!! Last time I was there, I was about 5 so cannot remember it so well...Can you recommend some nice places to eat/drink out?I think I'd like to try fusion restaurants also. Thank you for all your help!

And if you ever plan to go to Bordeaux (which is a really nice place to live in- the city has changed dramatically (beautifully) over the last 4 years) I'd be very happy to give you some travel tips in return.

[Edited at 2006-11-11 19:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
my two all time favorites Nov 11, 2006

Hi EmmanuelleAnn,

Two of my all time favorites (particularly if you are going out for a romantic evening ) are:

Mitchell's Place (on Mitchell's place) right by the UN for drinks. The view from up there down 1rst avenue and over the East River as the sun goes down (OK, at that time of year, l'apéro will be a bit early, oh well!) and the city lights up is breathtaking.

For a romantic dinner, "One if By Land, Two if By Sea" in the Village (reserve!) - perfect setting, perfect service, great food (not fusion though).

Where will you be staying?

Have a blast!

Patricia

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Just a book recommendation Nov 11, 2006

Hi, Emmanuelle-Ann,
sorry, I do not have any hints, as I have never been to New York, but... if pleasures are greatest in anticipation, I would like to recommend you a book:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - Its about a Oskar (9 nine year old boy) who misses his father, who died in the attack on the WTC in 2001. The most interesting part of the book is imho his New York odyssey, where the boy wants to find the lock that fits to the mysterious key he found in his father’s closet. I am not yet finished but I really enjoy to follow Oskar's journey through all the neighborhoods of New York City.

Have a nice time in N.Y.!
Steffi

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Nov 11, 2006

Patricia Lane wrote:

Hi EmmanuelleAnn,

Two of my all time favorites (particularly if you are going out for a romantic evening ) are:

Mitchell's Place (on Mitchell's place) right by the UN for drinks. The view from up there down 1rst avenue and over the East River as the sun goes down (OK, at that time of year, l'apéro will be a bit early, oh well!) and the city lights up is breathtaking.

For a romantic dinner, "One if By Land, Two if By Sea" in the Village (reserve!) - perfect setting, perfect service, great food (not fusion though).

Where will you be staying?

Have a blast!

Patricia

Thank you for the advice. I just can't wait to be there! I have been crossing days on my calendar! I will be staying in a hotel on Lexington Avenue at 47th street. Apparently it's quite close to Central Park.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New York Trilogy Nov 11, 2006

Tuliparola wrote:

Hi, Emmanuelle-Ann,
sorry, I do not have any hints, as I have never been to New York, but... if pleasures are greatest in anticipation, I would like to recommend you a book:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - Its about a Oskar (9 nine year old boy) who misses his father, who died in the attack on the WTC in 2001. The most interesting part of the book is imho his New York odyssey, where the boy wants to find the lock that fits to the mysterious key he found in his father’s closet. I am not yet finished but I really enjoy to follow Oskar's journey through all the neighborhoods of New York City.

Have a nice time in N.Y.!
Steffi

That sounds interesting. I'm gonna try and find that book over the Internet. Have you read the New York Trilogy by Paul Auster?

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
C'est relatif! Nov 12, 2006

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

I will be staying in a hotel on Lexington Avenue at 47th street. Apparently it's quite close to Central Park.

That is a relative question. Central Park starts at 5th avenue (3 avenue blocks from you) and 59th street (12 street blocks from your hotel) and goes miles and miles north!

I've been itching to go back to NY, but have no "home" there anymore since my mother passed away two years ago. My friends live in NYC appartements that, for the most part, could only accomodate a house guest sleeping vertically in the closet and I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of staying in a hotel in "my city" -- in addition to the fact that when I look at hotel costs now in NY, I totally freak out.

If you got a good deal, please let us know!

And if you need other ideas about what to see/do, tell us what you enjoy, what you are looking for, I am sure lots of us can come up with good suggestions.

Cheers,

Patricia

Ann Bishop  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Asian food Nov 12, 2006

If you like Asian food, Rain is the place to go. I absolutely loved it. You have to make a reservation.

http://rainrestaurant.com/contact.htm

100 West 82nd Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Aves.

I'm sure you will have a great time.

If the weather is dry, you should just do a lot of walking, it's the best way to explore the city.

PS: if you like books: The Strand Bookstore (18 miles of books) I think its 828 Broadway.

Greetings,
--Ann

Sara Pisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
The Roof Garden Nov 13, 2006

Have you ever been to a roof garden bar?

I left NY last Saturday and my greatest regret is not having visited one of these bars, which I've been told being superbe:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/travel/21weekend.html

If you go....let me know how they are!!

Have a nice trip,

Sara

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:56
just back from NYC *boast boast* Nov 13, 2006

Thank you for the advice. I just can't wait to be there! I have been crossing days on my calendar! I will be staying in a hotel on Lexington Avenue at 47th street. Apparently it's quite close to Central Park. [/quote]

I came back from New York two weeks ago - I stayed in a hotel on East 51st St, off Lexington - I urge you to take earplugs!

I didn't get a full night's sleep in NYC at all. Then again, if you want peace and quiet, don't stay in Midtown Manhattan

On the other hand, you're only a 10 minute walk away from 5th Avenue and Central park, so it is most convenient for sight-seeing.

(you can imagine what lovely dark circles I had under my eyes by the time I got home... thank goodness for "Touche Éclat"! )

There is a FANTASTIC Levis store on Lexington! You should check that out for sure.

I had lunch in Trump Tower on 5th Avenue - it was very good and surprisingly affordable. Pity I didn't look as glamourous as my surroundings, but I enjoyed it anyway

Orla

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York, New York

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs