https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/59668-where_could_my_daughter_anna_stay_in_new_york.html

Off topic: Where could my daughter Anna stay in New York?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:00
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 13, 2006

Dear New York Prozians,

We've been trying to find somewhere for Anna (18) to stay in a private home Nov 29-6 Dec and have not been able to find anything yet.

Hotels below 200 USD seem to be risky projects with stealing staff, dirt, mice, cockroaches and other niceties.
Some hotel chains also won't let a eighteenyearold check in at their hotel.

Could someone offer a tip about a family that would be interested in some Swedish-American crosscultural e
... See more
Dear New York Prozians,

We've been trying to find somewhere for Anna (18) to stay in a private home Nov 29-6 Dec and have not been able to find anything yet.

Hotels below 200 USD seem to be risky projects with stealing staff, dirt, mice, cockroaches and other niceties.
Some hotel chains also won't let a eighteenyearold check in at their hotel.

Could someone offer a tip about a family that would be interested in some Swedish-American crosscultural exhange with a real exhange prospect (=to visit us in Sweden). Another option is cash payment.

Best regards

Mats Wiman
Cross-culturally interested
Collapse

Thor Truelson
Thor Truelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
USA eller NY? Nov 13, 2006

Måste hon vara i NY, eller kommer hon bara för ett besök att kunna uppleva amerikansk kultur? Om det är inte viktig att sitta hela veckan i NY, vårt hem i Minneapolis är alltid öppet. Minneapolis är ju inte New York, men om man vill bara besöka USA... Angående New York tyvärr känner jag ingen.

Thor

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Global freeloaders Nov 13, 2006

Hi Mats,

I'm not sure how open-minded you are when it comes to your daughter (I can only imagine how close-minded I would be!), but I will tell you about this anyway in case you really get stuck.
There is a website called globalfreeloaders.com where you can search for people who are willing to welcome you into their home for short stays.
These are usually people who have travelled themselves and know what it's like to be on a budget. They are also interested to meet peop
... See more
Hi Mats,

I'm not sure how open-minded you are when it comes to your daughter (I can only imagine how close-minded I would be!), but I will tell you about this anyway in case you really get stuck.
There is a website called globalfreeloaders.com where you can search for people who are willing to welcome you into their home for short stays.
These are usually people who have travelled themselves and know what it's like to be on a budget. They are also interested to meet people from other countries and cultures.
I just ran a quick search and there were 398 entries for New York City. Registration is free so it costs nothing to just check it out.

Good luck finding her a place! How exciting to hit NYC at 18!

One other option for finding cheaper accommodation in the States is priceline.com - I used it a lot when I was over there (got 150 USD room at the Hilton in Phoenix for 40 USD, just as an example). However I'm not sure if the site accepts overseas credit cards.
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Here's a link for hostels in NYC Nov 13, 2006

As a former resident of New York, I know what a great time she'll have, but at 18 I would suggest that being with young people her own age might be more fun than staying with a family. New Yorkers are notoriously busy and generally don't have time to show visitors around, especially if they're strangers.

Here are two links:

... See more
As a former resident of New York, I know what a great time she'll have, but at 18 I would suggest that being with young people her own age might be more fun than staying with a family. New Yorkers are notoriously busy and generally don't have time to show visitors around, especially if they're strangers.

Here are two links:

http://www.metrointl.org/programs/housingbooklet/listings.html

http://www.ny.com/hotels/budget.html

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone there anymore - it's been many years and the contacts have been lost. But I think she'll enjoy being with a lot of young people from different countries, even if the accommodations are simple. Theft might be a problem, but it doesn't have to be. She just should keep anything of value on her person and not worry about the rest.

On edit: And hey, a little roach or mouse never hurt anyone! Roaches are EVERYWHERE in NY and most buildings have exterminators come in regularly. The poison will probably hurt one more than the critters will.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-11-13 22:53]

On 2nd edit: Since your daughter doesn't know her way around, it would be much better to explore with a group, unless she stays in museums or other buildings. Some areas are quite unsavory (or they were - as I said, it's been a long time) and no place for a young woman on her own, and absolutely NO parks at night - ever. That's Rule Number 1.

[Edited at 2006-11-13 23:10]
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:00
English to Italian
My tip Nov 13, 2006

Hi Mats,

In NY there are some hotels for women only. One is called THE BRANDON (http://www.thebrandon.org/), another one is called Webster apartments: (http://www.websterapartments.org/). They shouldn't be that expensive, I haven't checked out their prices for the dates of your choice, but you can inq
... See more
Hi Mats,

In NY there are some hotels for women only. One is called THE BRANDON (http://www.thebrandon.org/), another one is called Webster apartments: (http://www.websterapartments.org/). They shouldn't be that expensive, I haven't checked out their prices for the dates of your choice, but you can inquire directly to them.

Do a google research online about residences for women.

I would also suggest the Youth Hostel Association, but youth hostels are what they are......

Hope this helps. Hurry up though, the 29th of Nov is around the corner and NY after Thanksgiving is very popular for the Christmas shopping!

[Edited at 2006-11-13 23:01]
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
another suggestion... Nov 13, 2006

Mats,

There is a great community of travelers on Fodors.com where you can ask the same question and get more help than you might receive here.
Please take a look at ...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

If you look on the top left corner of that page you can post a message and you'll get tips and advices from a lot of NY locals a
... See more
Mats,

There is a great community of travelers on Fodors.com where you can ask the same question and get more help than you might receive here.
Please take a look at ...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

If you look on the top left corner of that page you can post a message and you'll get tips and advices from a lot of NY locals and experienced travelers. You can also use the SEARCH THIS FORUM option, to see if other people have posted a similar inquiry as yours. You can just put "new york accommodation" or "inexpensive hotels new york" etc...

Hope this might help too...
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Mats, is NY the only choice? Nov 13, 2006

New York certainly is a blast but it's is a huge, tough and rough megapolice, I dare to say not representative at all of the "normal" U.S. middle-class culture and "classic" American lifestyle. It stands and shines on its own. Unless NY is the whole point of her trip I'd suggest to hurry up expand the search and include other locations, and don't forget San Francisco. Frankly, that would be my first choice, and the weather will be so much nicer at this time of the year. I can't read a word in Sw... See more
New York certainly is a blast but it's is a huge, tough and rough megapolice, I dare to say not representative at all of the "normal" U.S. middle-class culture and "classic" American lifestyle. It stands and shines on its own. Unless NY is the whole point of her trip I'd suggest to hurry up expand the search and include other locations, and don't forget San Francisco. Frankly, that would be my first choice, and the weather will be so much nicer at this time of the year. I can't read a word in Swedish but somehow I believe Thor's post has something in common with mine:-)

We, the Houston hillbillies, can not compete. Anna would be more than welcome to stay with me and my 2 cats for free but for her I 'm nothing but a busy old bore:-) and a car is a must to get around, the guest here can't be sent out on h/h own on foot. We drive to get a loaf of bread:-) and barely remember how to use our lower extremities. Still, would you like me to ask around? I have some wonderful friends, both Russians and Americans, with kids who are close to her age and have their own cars. How does a possibility of a Russian-American family sound? Since it's not my family no promises yet but would you like me to start asking? I'm sure they will not require any money for room and board, but a Russian-American family will likely hold you:-) to a visit option for their kids - we all miss Europe and love to travel there. I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, my friends are also from SPb or Moscow. Staying with me and going out for the day with new friends is certainly an option too.

I've met so many wonderful friends via Proz who welcomed me in different European countries that I'd be happy to try and return the favor.

Irene

[Edited at 2006-11-14 01:51]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks folks. NYC is it! Nov 14, 2006

Thanks everybody!

Dear Thore and Irene,

Thanks for your invitations. I reallly appreciate your generosity but NYC is her plan.

I am exploring Fodors for private accomodation right now and I'll report back on that.

Hotels are out for mentioned reasons.

Mats

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:00
English to French
+ ...
Nuns Nov 14, 2006

Mats,

I'm not sure what kind of a trip your daughter has in mind, but I know there are places in New York held by nuns that are extremely cheap. Of course, they are not the classy variety, but they are clean and honest places.

I can't name a single of them, but I am sure you can find them on the net fairly easily.

All your daughter would need to do is behave

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
I agree with Viktoria Nov 14, 2006

I had thought about religious residences too , but not knowing what your or your daughter's religious beliefs are, I had not dared mentioning that.
Religious residences as far as I know can only host women. The accommodations are pretty basic but you can rest assured about the cleanliness and safety of the place. Curfew is a rule as well.

In downtown NY you can find the St. Mary's Residence (225 E 72ND St, New York City, NY 10021).

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The Webster Nov 14, 2006

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

Hi Mats,

In NY there are some hotels for women only. One is called THE BRANDON (http://www.thebrandon.org/), another one is called Webster apartments: (http://www.websterapartments.org/). They shouldn't be that expensive, I haven't checked out their prices for the dates of your choice, but you can inquire directly to them.

Do a google research online about residences for women.

[Edited at 2006-11-13 23:01]

Hi Mats,

I can second Liliana's suggestion of "The Webster". When I lived and worked in NYC, we sent our (female) German interns to find accomodation at The Webster because it was an affordable and centrally located (somewhere near Macy's) option as opposed to more expensive apartments/rooms around Columbia University in Uptown Manhattan. As far as I remember, the prices were somewhere along the lines of 200-250 $ per week.
They did have a somewhat strict policy as far as visitors (particularly male visitors) were concerned but other than that our interns were ok with living there. Some of them stayed for 3 months and didn't complain.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Barbara

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks everybody! Nov 16, 2006

I have now posted "Places for a young woman
to stay in New York" http://www.proz.com/topic/59835

Especially Lilianas Roman-Hamilton's posting was valuable:
Websters, The Brandon and St. Mary's Residence

We thereby foun
... See more
I have now posted "Places for a young woman
to stay in New York" http://www.proz.com/topic/59835

Especially Lilianas Roman-Hamilton's posting was valuable:
Websters, The Brandon and St. Mary's Residence

We thereby found another excellent source:
http://www.edwardellison.com/housing.htm
That URL had a list of lodging alternatives for young women (a.o. the above mentioned) from which we finally chose
Sacred Hearts, 432 West 20th St ($240/ a week) with some special rules (like curfew at 11 pm etc.), where Anna will now stay.

Mats

[Edited at 2006-11-16 09:41]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where could my daughter Anna stay in New York?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »