Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:38
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 16, 2006

I recently posted the question "Where could my daughter Anna stay in New York? ":
http://www.proz.com/topic/59668

Especially Lilianas Roman-Hamilton's posting was valuable: Websters, Thebrandon and St. Mary's Residence

We thereby found another excellent source including the above in their list of lodging alternatives for you
... See more
I recently posted the question "Where could my daughter Anna stay in New York? ":
http://www.proz.com/topic/59668

Especially Lilianas Roman-Hamilton's posting was valuable: Websters, Thebrandon and St. Mary's Residence

We thereby found another excellent source including the above in their list of lodging alternatives for young women :
http://www.edwardellison.com/housing.htm
We finally chose Sacred Hearts, 432 West 20th St ($240/ a week) with some special rules (like curfew at 11 pm etc.), where Anna will now stay.

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.proz.com/profile/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
S-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel : +46-612-54112/54181
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
eMail : [email protected]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:38
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Hotels in NYC are expensive and some do not accept those under 21 Nov 16, 2006

In our search for Anna's stay we found that most hotels cost more than $100/night and those below seemed to be infested with cockraoaches, having mice, stealing staff and dirty linen etc.
Some, like Holiday Inn, did not accept guests below 21 years of age.

Where young men could stay at places similar to those for young women mentioned above I haven't yet explored but maybe someone else has info on that.

TIA

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:38
Where I stayed Nov 16, 2006

Hi Mats,

I stayed in the Pickwick Hotel on E51st street (between 2nd and 3rd Avenues) last month. It was $149/night. There is no curfew and you can come and go as you please. The location is great but I'd recommend taking earplugs!

Orla

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:38
Flemish to English
+ ...
Hospitality Club Nov 16, 2006

Where I stay whenever I go to a powwow (still haven't found time to attend a conference).
In Düsseldorf, I stayed at the flat of a softspoken lady, member of www.hospitalityclub.org.
It might be an idea to have a kind of prozcomhospitalityclub? Staying at the homes of other members? After all, proz.com members are situated worldwide.

[Edited at 2006-11-16 11:22]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 16:38
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

The Pickwick Nov 16, 2006

Thanks for that, Orla. What a coincidence! I was just with my friend about Anna's situation. My friend knows NYC quite well, having got engaged there (in a horse-drawn carriage in Central Park one September afternoon)

She recommended The Pickwick as well. Good to know, and thanks for the additional info, it'll be useful to me!

Nancy

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:38
English to Italian
SO glad Nov 16, 2006

Mats,

I'm SO glad you found an accommodation for your daughter.

I hope she can spend a wonderful time in The Big Apple!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
[procrastination mode] Nov 16, 2006

Williamson wrote:

In Düsseldorf, I stayed at the flat of a softspoken lady, member of www.hospitalityclub.org.

It might be an idea to have a kind of prozcomhospitalityclub? Staying at the homes of other members? After all, proz.com members are situated worldwide.

[Edited at 2006-11-16 11:22]

I'm an Hospitality Club member and have had a couple of guests at my place. It has been a great experience, but still, all of them have been close friends of people I've met beforehand (I can be a little bit paranoid).

A ProZ hospitality club could be a very enriching experience indeed!

Cheers
Andrea

[/procrastination mode]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Places for a young woman to stay in New York

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »