Mobile menu

Off topic: Great website for exchanging old books for FREE!
Thread poster: Mihailolja

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2006

http://www.bookmooch.com/

...well you just pay postage....;-)

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I use it too. It's excellent! Nov 16, 2006

My profile is http://www.bookmooch.com/m/bio/graphite
So far I have given away 18 books, and received back about 30.

There is a points system that keeps thinks balanced. Within the same country you get 1 point when you send and are deducted 1 point when you receive a book (regardless of cost and weight).
Across borders, instead, you receive 3 pionts for delivering your books (this is fair due to the higher cost) and are deducted 2 points for requesting (mooching, in BookMooch parlance) a book from anyone.

All exchanges are visible in public and the system is largely based on trust between members, but it works well.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-11-16 15:59]

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:25
Italian to English
What a great site Nov 16, 2006

Thanks so much for the link

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Very interesting! Nov 16, 2006

Thanks for sharing this with us. Maybe ProZ can introduce some similar feature with a focus on dictionaries, connected to some new BookZ points or some other system.

I know there is the Translators Exchange but it hardly contains any books, more travelling advice and lodging offers.

Somebody from ProZ staff reading these lines?

Regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Website www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
Great site! Nov 16, 2006

[procrastination mode]

There's a similar site I'm quite fond of, though it is -ideally- based on serendipity rather than exchange.

http://www.bookcrossing.com

Greetings
Andrea

[/procrastination mode]

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
This looks interesting! Nov 16, 2006

I just signed up, entered a few books that I am willing to give away, and browsed around a little. I noticed that most books are from US and UK, and I wonder if people in these two countries would be happy to pay so much postage for sending me the books to Germany. I imagine the postage fees to be rather high. Any experience, anyone, with long-distance mooching? Do people prefer to send books within their own country or continent?

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Mihailolja!

Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-16 22:57]

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hello everyone Nov 17, 2006

Yes I want to know more about how this works, most of the books I want are from users in Serbia so I hope they are ok posting them to me here in the UK. Since joining yesterday I have already posted two rather heavy books, one to the USA and one in the UK, it is a bit expensive the postage even if its the cheapest rate but I think well...at least I can ask/mooch a book now!

Regards

Mihailo

Francesca Verd  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
I'd rather stick to bookcrossing... Nov 22, 2006

Right now they have:

members: 512,674
books registered: 3,503,937
good karma: priceless

No point system:
Just a lot of very nice people around.

You can check at: http://www.bookcrossing.com

Don't forget to mention my screename as referral member - boirina - if you decide to register. I don't get points or anything for referring new members... but I like to see it on my bookshelf.

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hello Nov 23, 2006

Hi Francesca

I just haven't got the time to follow my books around the world! Although I admire bookcrossing I have to admit I am trying to create my own mini library of Eastern European Literature and book mooch helps me do this.

But again I admire you bookcrossers, if more people read good books in the world it would be a better place I'm sure.

I like your image too, great!

Regards

Mihailo

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My preciousssss.... Jan 15, 2007

Those book trading sites look really cool...
The only problem is, I tend to horde books...
I still have textbooks from college courses I took 20 years ago.
(OMG, I´m getting old!)
My wife complains of the piles and piles of books, even despite the fact that, now that I think of it, I have given away about 6 or 7 large boxes full over the past two years....I still have books in every room of the house...hundreds of them....
And they keep coming in....my wife won´t let me go to Walden or Borders or Barnes & Noble when we´re out together....But, hey, there´s always Amazon, and Queleer.com, and B&N and Borders online, etc., etc...
It´s like an addiction....Books are my crack cocaine....
To me, Books=Wealth!
I fear, someday she´ll step over a pile of books and not look back...and I´ll be that old, dusty, long-bearded fellow the locals speak of with a mixture of fear, contempt, and mystery, in my tower full of books with my pet rat, mumbling to myself and digging through the stacks and piles for my precioussss....
And, upon reading a really good book, giving it up seems like abandoning an old friend...
Am I the only one with this disorder?

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
No, you're not Jan 15, 2007

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

And, upon reading a really good book, giving it up seems like abandoning an old friend...
Am I the only one with this disorder?

I also have a really hard time letting go of a good book, specially since I like to re-read them every once in a while. Giving someone a so-so book, on the other hand, seems... I don't know... wrong somehow, like giving away those clothes you have never, ever worn in order to make space while pretending to do it out of the kidness of your heart.

Am I completely off-base here?

Anyway, even if I am, that is why whenever I love a book and feel as if others should read it, I buy a second copy to give away. If I absolutely adore it, I might just get a third copy to scribble notes on the margins (oh, the heresy!). So far, I have reached the latter point with 5 books.

OCD anyone?

[Edited at 2007-01-15 23:25]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Great website for exchanging old books for FREE!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs