https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/60087-looking_for_someone_in_the_us_to_help_me_buy_something.html

Off topic: Looking for someone in the US to help me buy something
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:06
English to French
+ ...
Nov 20, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have been shopping for Christmas and I have found some great deals on an American website. I have a problem though...

They need either a credit card registered at a US address or a US social security number. Here's what I thought of doing.

If one of my dear American colleagues could put the order under their name for billing, and the shipping address would be provided by me, then what we could do is to place the order and once it has been
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been shopping for Christmas and I have found some great deals on an American website. I have a problem though...

They need either a credit card registered at a US address or a US social security number. Here's what I thought of doing.

If one of my dear American colleagues could put the order under their name for billing, and the shipping address would be provided by me, then what we could do is to place the order and once it has been placed, I would immediately pay the friendly American colleague (who would have to bill me through PayPal, and also send me a copy of the order confirmation to make sure it's all documented on my side). I also offer USD 30 to compensate for the 15 minutes it would take one of you to handle the order. You would place the order yourself and so your credit card information or social security number would not be accessible to me - it would only be accessed by the company where the order will be placed.

Depending on whether you use a credit card to pay the order or whether you choose to be billed later, you would either receive a bill in the mail or the amount of the order would be taken off your credit card. We are talking about an order totalling just over USD 250.

In a nutshell, whoever is willing to help would spend 15 minutes helping me to place the order and would gain USD 30. There is no risk involved as you would be paid even before the transaction goes through.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Sure, why not? Nov 20, 2006

Hi Viktoria,
I'd be happy to help you out. I'm contacting you by e-mail. No need for the extra $30 (although it's very nice of you to even suggest it).
Maria

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:06
French to English
Tax on purchases Nov 20, 2006

Hi Viktoria,

Just in case you haven't done this before, I just thought I'd let you know you will be taxed at the post office when it arrives in Canada. You might want to ring them just to get an idea of how much of a bill to expect... I can't remember how much it is.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being taxed for foreign merchandise Nov 20, 2006

Thank you Natasha for the information on being taxed.

It basically comes down to paying duties for the products. However, I don't mind - I am getting such a rebate on the merchandise that even if they calculated the tax/duties based on the actual value of the products, I am still winning big time. Most of what I'm ordering is 80% off, so I win either way. Also, I don't pay shipping (well, 3$ for the whole order) because I have a friend who is kind enough to pick up the order at the
... See more
Thank you Natasha for the information on being taxed.

It basically comes down to paying duties for the products. However, I don't mind - I am getting such a rebate on the merchandise that even if they calculated the tax/duties based on the actual value of the products, I am still winning big time. Most of what I'm ordering is 80% off, so I win either way. Also, I don't pay shipping (well, 3$ for the whole order) because I have a friend who is kind enough to pick up the order at the border. So, if I compare the duties I may have to pay with what it would have costed me had I paid the regular price and the regular shipping, I still am getting a great deal.

Also, I'd like to thank the people who responded to my post - and those who have contacted me through e-mail. It's nice to know there are colleagues out there willing to help even if they don't know me.

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for someone in the US to help me buy something

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »