Mobile menu

Off topic: Apostrophe and "quotation mark" misuse in English.
Thread poster: Rebecca Hendry

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2006

Shake your heads in despair at this little collection:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/77173807@N00/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/quoteabuse/

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:47
German to English
+ ...
Why should I "shake" my head's? Nov 23, 2006

(Only kidding).

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Pull on pants??! Nov 23, 2006

Not some much abuse of punctuation, more a query about the mechanics of the operation, but, well... is there another way to put on pants (be they UK pants or US pants)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foomart/172123248/in/pool-77173807@N00/

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Velcro? Nov 23, 2006

Perhaps they were thinking of velcro-fitted pants a la Full Monty.....

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ladie's Nov 23, 2006

I love this one, ladie's. I do do, Ladie's's sublime. Come to think of it, and then think again of it a dozen more times, I can see the rationale behind it, woe me. I mean, it's pure economy at work. Survival of the unfittest. Why bother with possessives and plurals if you can have a plurissesive? Why bother at all when you know hardly anyone will read it anyway? Then, if some lost soul happens to read it, s/he won't notice anything but the colour of the chalk. Or you run the risk of not getting a single customer if you write it correctly, as most will no doubt think you can't write English. Or that you trying to go smart on them. There may be even cases of plurissesives and the like attracting customers as well. Like, you're going in there to correct their grammar sock-ups, ("excuse meeee Miss, but have you noticed...") and five minutes later you come out of the store brainspeared by Britney and 100 pounds poorer, with a brand new ladie's almost-levie's denim's skirt actually made by Bangra Desk inside a bag that says Ladie's Tuff & Co. There then, apostroclueless but cash in the till, and the world keeps rotating.
Regard's
Oxen Feet

[Edited at 2006-11-23 14:27]

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Like the German satire magazine, Titanic, I collect 'em Nov 23, 2006

My significant other gave me one tonight in Portuguese:

Em cerca de um terco das cidades do Massachusetts's, um referendo popular apelando à retirada dos EUA recebeu igualmente cerca de 60 por cento dos votos ...

(From a report about Massachusetts' cities voting on the war in Iraq - a subject too political for here. I'm from western Mass.)

Our two favorites are

Here in Düsseldorf, an ad for an evening's entertainment: blu'es

And in Faragudo (Algarve), at a restaurant en route to the beach (el rei): lunch,s

As Viola said in a long lost Charlie Brown cartoon, some of those curly things to sprinkle into a text ...

(Don't get me started on curly quotes in sans serif text and vice versa ... grr)

Thanks for posting.
Terry

Marc Glinert
English to French
+ ...
French rapper Dec 14, 2006

There's a French rap artist known as Diam's.

What the ' represents is anyone's guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apostrophe and "quotation mark" misuse in English.

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs