Off topic: AIDS and translators
Thread poster: Aisha Maniar

Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2006

On International AIDS day (today), I'd like to send a message of support to all translators and interpreters who have HIV/AIDS or who have a loved one who is affected. We're not immune to what's around us...

Aisha

[Edited at 2006-12-01 08:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
We are not immune Dec 1, 2006

Aisha Maniar wrote:

On International AIDS day (today), I'd like to send a message of support to all translators and interpreters who have HIV/AIDS or who have a loved one who is affected. We're not immune to what's around us...

Aisha

[Edited at 2006-12-01 08:56]

We should not be immune.

Thank you for this thread, Aisha.

Au

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
the projection Dec 1, 2006

Within the next 25 years, AIDS is set to join heart disease and stroke as the top three causes of death worldwide, with estimates that at least 117 million people will die from the disease by 2030, according to a study published online Monday.

When global mortality projections were last calculated a decade ago, researchers had assumed the number of AIDS cases would be declining. Instead, it's on the rise.

Currently ranked fourth behind heart disease, stroke, and respiratory infections, AIDS is set to become No. 3, say researchers in a new report in the Public Library of Science's Medicine journal. It accounts for about 2.8 million deaths every year, but could near 120 million by 2030.

http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/112806HA.shtml

[Thank you for the thread Aisha]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:59
English to French
+ ...
May the cure be found Dec 1, 2006

May those on ProZ affected by AIDS have a pleasant life all the same - you know who you are

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
French to English
+ ...
Clarification Dec 2, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

May those on ProZ affected by AIDS have a pleasant life all the same - you know who you are

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "all the same" and "you know who you are"? I'm not sure what point you're making and don't really see the humour (and in case you're wondering, no, I'm not personally affected by the issue, I just think it's quite a serious one).

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:59
English to Polish
+ ...
... Dec 2, 2006

I fully agree with Peter.
rgds Ewa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AIDS and translators

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs