Off topic: Good and affordable hotels in London
Thread poster: smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if someone has some suggestions of good and affordable hotels or B&B in London? If they are well-located, all the better Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:40
German to English
Dalmacia hotel Dec 7, 2006

Hi there,

My husband stayed at the Dalmacia Hotel (Shepherd's Bush/Hammersmith area) at the weekend: http://www.infotel.co.uk/14411.htm

He had a twin ensuite room for £50 and said that it was really nice and clean, with new furniture.

Costantino Sbacchi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
arosfa hotel Dec 7, 2006

Hi everybody,
I would recommend the Arosfa Hotel, Bloomsbury district, near the British Museum. Nice rooms, all en-suite, single room £45 per night (breakfast included). The toilet is really VERY SMALL (they call it "compact toilet) but really very clean. Good direct bus service to Victoria Station.
www.arosfalondon.com
Enjoy your trip to London!
Costantino

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hotels in London Dec 7, 2006

All depends where you want to be in London! There are some excellent deals with www.travelodge.co.uk

Sybille  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Happy homes Dec 7, 2006

Look for "Happy Homes" through google and you will finde afffrodable B&B's. I tried that, too, it was an accommodation at a family and they were really very nice.

Sybille

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Columbus Hotel Dec 7, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Columbus Hotel, near Paddington Station, earlier this year. It is fairly cheap, not luxury, but adequate, and very convenient for the station, including the Underground network.

http://www.hotelcolumbus.co.uk/

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
A friend of mine is renting private rooms near London. Dec 7, 2006

As far as I know he charges 30 pounds for B&B. If you are interested, I can give you his tel. number.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 7, 2006

Thanks to everyone. I'll start checking out your suggestions

Dominika Schoenborn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Beware of travelodge! Dec 7, 2006

aceavila wrote:

All depends where you want to be in London! There are some excellent deals with www.travelodge.co.uk

Under no circumstances book Travelodge. They tend to overbook and people end up with no place to stay the night though the room is booked long in advance.

Regards,
Dominika

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Hospitality club and couchsurfing. Dec 7, 2006

Why go to hotels : Hospitalityclub.org and couchsurfing are free. Price: 0£. You can't find anything cheaper and you meet a lot of hospitable, friendly people.

[Edited at 2006-12-07 14:39]

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 12:40
Turkish to English
+ ...
Belgrave Square Dec 8, 2006

If anybody plans to turn up in London and find a cheap hotel, I would advise them to head for Belgrave Square. There are a vast number of cheap hotels in this square and the adjoining roads and there is bound to be a vacany somewhere. I can't necessarily vouch for the quality!
Belgrave Square is about a mile from Victoria railway station and is served by the frequent number 24 bus route.

juvera  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Find the location first! Dec 13, 2006

London is soooo large, that you have to decide, which areas are your preferences, because transport is not cheap, and you can waste a lot of time travelling.

Costantino's and Jack's suggestions are worth looking into, and the various hotel guides or websites. The area North of Hyde Park is full of all sorts of hotels, so is Bloomsbury, near the British Museum, and these locations are central.

On the other hand,
Tim Drayton wrote:

If anybody plans to turn up in London and find a cheap hotel, I would advise them to head for Belgrave Square. There are a vast number of cheap hotels in this square and the adjoining roads and there is bound to be a vacany somewhere.

Belgrave Square is one of the most expensive location in London, and apart from the Lanesborough Hotel around the corner (special winter rates from around £435, breakfast thrown in!) and a few similarly expensive ones scattered around, I can't recall any on the square. There are a few embassies, thought.

Tim, are you sure, you didn't mean Belgrave Road? Your description would fit better to that location, South West of Victoria station.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 13, 2006

Thank you everyone. I finally got the hotel from your suggestions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good and affordable hotels in London

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs