Thread poster: Djidji74
Djidji74
Djidji74
Local time: 18:55
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2006

Hi everyone,
I have got a jewish friend who is going t odeliver on Wednesday here in London and I don't know what to give her as gift.
Should any of you know about the jewish customs and tradtions , please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jewish Mother Dec 19, 2006

Dear Djidji,

This certainly is a happy time.

I was thinking perhaps a (small) Menorah so that this could be the baby's first one. Or a receiving blanket. I once saw one with a Star of David on it. It appeared that it was woven into the material. They had traditional pink and blue but also a mint one. Then she can take the baby home in it.

That should be appropriate, don't you think? Perhaps others can comment on this and/or add to it.

And
... See more
Dear Djidji,

This certainly is a happy time.

I was thinking perhaps a (small) Menorah so that this could be the baby's first one. Or a receiving blanket. I once saw one with a Star of David on it. It appeared that it was woven into the material. They had traditional pink and blue but also a mint one. Then she can take the baby home in it.

That should be appropriate, don't you think? Perhaps others can comment on this and/or add to it.

And whatever I give I always give some disposable diapers too - usually the new parents have newborn baby diapers and you get some from the hospital, but you always run out. Or buy th next size up so that they start with a bit of a stock.
You never have enough of those and they always seem appreciated.

I hope that this helps.

Have fun shopping!
Lucinda
Collapse

Djidji74
Djidji74
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
jewish mother and a new born Dec 19, 2006

Thanks so much Lucinda for sparing your time in answering my question.
Indeed I find the idea very interesting and I will follow your advice. Meanwhile, if anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Thanks again.
Djidji

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Something for the mom and something for the baby Dec 20, 2006

I don't think there are "traditional" gifts for Jewish parents, but I always found that a small gift for the mom (flowers, candy, cologne) and something for the baby (stuffed animal, clothes etc) was always appreciated. Usually the baby gets lots of stuff, and the mom gets lost in the rush.

Best wishes Linda

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Other ideas Dec 20, 2006

Sorry I can't help with Jewish traditions, but here are my suggestions:

1) A book about things to do in London with children:

see this one + others that are listed in the same page
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-London-Kids/dp/1840184337

2) A book with recipes for children's meals

3) A nice photo frame

Best wis
... See more
Sorry I can't help with Jewish traditions, but here are my suggestions:

1) A book about things to do in London with children:

see this one + others that are listed in the same page
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-London-Kids/dp/1840184337

2) A book with recipes for children's meals

3) A nice photo frame

Best wishes,

Lucia
Collapse

Lilia Shtakser
Lilia Shtakser
Germany
Local time: 19:55
English to German
+ ...
Mezuza, Chanukkiah Dec 20, 2006

Hi Djidji,

I would suggest a children mezuza or a children channukiah (the one with 9 arms, since we have Chanukkah now).

The mother should get some sleep as a present, but since it will not happen, you can give her some candy instead

Kind Regards

Lilia

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
For the newborn: newspapers etc. published on his/her birthday Dec 20, 2006

Another idea for the newborn:
various newspapers, magazines etc. that are/were published on his/her birthday - the broader the scope the better. And perhaps the same for his/her birthdays later. And why not in several languages. When he/she grows up, he/she may find it completely useless - but it is very easily possible that he/she will be really pleased to have them.
For the mom it depends a lot on her taste. A fine coffee-table book may be well appreciated; for example, on babie
... See more
Another idea for the newborn:
various newspapers, magazines etc. that are/were published on his/her birthday - the broader the scope the better. And perhaps the same for his/her birthdays later. And why not in several languages. When he/she grows up, he/she may find it completely useless - but it is very easily possible that he/she will be really pleased to have them.
For the mom it depends a lot on her taste. A fine coffee-table book may be well appreciated; for example, on babies around the world.
Attila
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
:o) Dec 20, 2006

Attila Piróth wrote:

various newspapers, magazines etc. that are/were published on his/her birthday - the broader the scope the better.

That sounds like a great idea! I just wish someone had thought about it when I was born...

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Attila's suggestion Dec 20, 2006

Attila's suggestion is just about the best I have ever heard. I feel like doing this for every baby to be born from today on!
Thank you, Attila!
Mónica

Marc Glinert
Marc Glinert
English to French
+ ...
general gift Dec 20, 2006

..interesting question.

I should go for a nice general purpose gift on the basis that all the stuff with religious connotations is likely to be given by your friends' family and Jewish friends.

Speaking as a parent - although it was quite a while ago that our youngest was born - a sweet and often-overlooked present is a baby-towel (you know, the type with a little hood).

YOu always get piles of baby clothes (inevitably the wrong size) but with the towel, yo
... See more
..interesting question.

I should go for a nice general purpose gift on the basis that all the stuff with religious connotations is likely to be given by your friends' family and Jewish friends.

Speaking as a parent - although it was quite a while ago that our youngest was born - a sweet and often-overlooked present is a baby-towel (you know, the type with a little hood).

YOu always get piles of baby clothes (inevitably the wrong size) but with the towel, you can never go wrong. (remember, pink for a girl....)
Collapse

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I am a Jewish mother and there is nothing special about it. Dec 20, 2006

The best thing is to present her with something useful for a baby.

Djidji74
Djidji74
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the baby was born today! Dec 20, 2006

Hi everyone,

I would like to inform you that the baby I was waiting was born today. The mother is very happy. The girl's name is Natalie , 3 kg.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with their advice.
Now I can start shopping for the mother and the baby.

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 10:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Erika is right Dec 21, 2006

The gift shouldn't be religious-themed.

One book I have enjoyed giving, which is for the mother but will also have enormous benefit for the child over the years, is Rachel Carson's "The Sense of Wonder." It is the perfect mother/baby, tangible/intangible gift.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to give as gift to jewish mothers when they deliver

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »