Off topic: Contemporary authors in French for my (heh) copious spare reading time?
Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2007

Greetings.

Last week...or maybe the week before (I´ve been so loaded with work the last 3 weeks are a bit of a blur) I asked you, my illustrious colleagues, to recommend music in French, and your responses were overwhelming, and I am now enjoying quite a good number of both French and Canadian artists (my faves so far, are Benabar and Keren Ann). Thanks.

Now, on the few rare occassions when I actually have some spare time, I like to read books in my languages. Last
... See more
Greetings.

Last week...or maybe the week before (I´ve been so loaded with work the last 3 weeks are a bit of a blur) I asked you, my illustrious colleagues, to recommend music in French, and your responses were overwhelming, and I am now enjoying quite a good number of both French and Canadian artists (my faves so far, are Benabar and Keren Ann). Thanks.

Now, on the few rare occassions when I actually have some spare time, I like to read books in my languages. Last year I read quite a few from Paul Coelho in Portuguese, lately I´ve been reading Gabriel García Marquez and a few other authors in Spanish...(Mostly Argentinean for some reason. Currently reading Hania Czajkowski, who, despite the Polish name, is from Argentina. The book: La Conspiración de los Alquimistas).
I like reading original authors in the particular language, rather than translations (not to disparage my colleagues who work in Literary translations, of course, but I enjoy taking a peak into the culture, too.)

Once again, I find my library lacking French authors. Now, I don´t want to read Sartre or Montaigne, or the other heavy, heavies that I read in my college courses...I mean contemporary authors.
So, for my literary tastes, I have enjoyed the above mentioned authors in Spanish and Portuguese.
In my own language, I enjoy Anne Rice, Robert Jordan, Dan Simmons, Tolkein, Dan Brown, Ashok Banker, Dean Koontz...Lotso Science Fiction and Fantasy, really, but I also enjoy crime thrillers, historical fiction, mysteries and conspiracy stuff (like Brown), and stories like those of Coelho and above mentioned Czajkowski about spiritual journeys,.

So, dear colleagues, can your recommend something for me to read in French?
(If you have other ideas for Brazilian or Portuguese authors, too. I have´t read anything from Portugal, yet. Or other authoris in Spanish from any country, even).

thanks in advance
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am not French and he's not French Jan 15, 2007

But I love reading his novels in French:-)
Yasmina Khadra
http://www.yasmina-khadra.com/

You might also enjoy Amélie Nothomb.

Cheers
Paola

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:10
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
couple of suggestions Jan 15, 2007

Jean-Christophe Grangé can be compared with Dan Brown when it comes to ridiculous plots and fast moving action. And Bernard Weber (I don't know if if have spelt his name correctly) is a best-selling science fiction writer.

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

So, for my literary tastes, I have enjoyed the above mentioned authors in Spanish and Portuguese.
In my own language, I enjoy Anne Rice, Robert Jordan, Dan Simmons, Tolkein, Dan Brown, Ashok Banker, Dean Koontz...Lotso Science Fiction and Fantasy, really, but I also enjoy crime thrillers, historical fiction, mysteries and conspiracy stuff (like Brown), and stories like those of Coelho and above mentioned Czajkowski about spiritual journeys,.

So, dear colleagues, can your recommend something for me to read in French?
(If you have other ideas for Brazilian or Portuguese authors, too. I have´t read anything from Portugal, yet. Or other authoris in Spanish from any country, even).

thanks in advance

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestions Jan 15, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/48563

Have fun!

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
English to Italian
+ ...
Tournier etc. Jan 15, 2007

Dear Anthony,
I can suggest Michel Tournier (Vendredi ou les limbes du Pacifique) and Pierre Louys (Aphrodite) (hardly contemporary, I know, but worth reading).
Also worth mentioning are the novels of Arto Paasilinna in the French translation, and the novels of Milan Kundera, also in the French translation, revised by the author. Actually, if I remember correctly, his last was written directly in French.

And in case you had missed it, "The life of Pi" by Yann Martell is
... See more
Dear Anthony,
I can suggest Michel Tournier (Vendredi ou les limbes du Pacifique) and Pierre Louys (Aphrodite) (hardly contemporary, I know, but worth reading).
Also worth mentioning are the novels of Arto Paasilinna in the French translation, and the novels of Milan Kundera, also in the French translation, revised by the author. Actually, if I remember correctly, his last was written directly in French.

And in case you had missed it, "The life of Pi" by Yann Martell is an absolute gem.
Happy reading!
Giuliana
Collapse

JulietteC
JulietteC
English to French
Amélie Nothomb Jan 15, 2007

Amélie Nothomb, from Belgium. She is fantastic!

Arturo Mannino
Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Daniel Pennac Jan 15, 2007

Melissa Stanfield
Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:10
Italian to English
+ ...
slightly off topic, but have to concur with giuliana Jan 16, 2007

Dr. Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce wrote:

Dear Anthony,
I can suggest ... the novels of Milan Kundera, also in the French translation, revised by the author. Actually, if I remember correctly, his last was written directly in French.

And in case you had missed it, "The life of Pi" by Yann Martell is an absolute gem.
Happy reading!
Giuliana

Yes, I was looking at the English translation of Kundera's French offering, "Identity", at the library yesterday. He is a master.

I know it isn't French - but I can't recomend Life of Pi enough (or Yann Martel in general - see 'The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios'). I am in the middle of my second reading - it is truly a work of art.

I'll be good now and not talk about English literature-sorry

Giovanna Graziani
Giovanna Graziani  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
agree ! Jan 16, 2007

Arturo Mannino wrote:
Daniel Pennac

but in the right order, otherwise you won't understand anything:

1) Au bonheur des ogres
2) La fée carabine
3) La petite marchande de prose
4) Monsieur Malaussène.

Phantastic!

Also his books for children are nice!

JackieMcC
JackieMcC
French to English
If you like Tolkein / fantasy Jan 16, 2007

you might enjoy Jean-Louis Fetjaine. Particulary his Trilogie des Elfes:
La crépuscule des elfes
La nuit des elfes
L'heure des elfes

Bonne lecture !
Jackie

Isis34
Isis34
France
English to French
+ ...
Werber Jan 17, 2007

Carlos Alvarez wrote:

...And Bernard Weber (I don't know if if have spelt his name correctly) is a best-selling science fiction writer.

The correct spelling is Bernard Werber.

My favourite one is "Les Thanatonautes".

But almost all of them are great.

Bonne lecture !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contemporary authors in French for my (heh) copious spare reading time?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »