Thread poster: ICL

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 18, 2007

Hello:

Following up on the most recent poll, about what we do when we take breaks from work, I got a sort of related question about this.

For a long time, I got a "static" bicycle next to my working area, so that *sometimes*, when I take breaks, I ride for about 3-5 minutes, mostly to "loosen" my muscles. I do it maybe 3 times during the time I am translating, depending on the number of breaks I take.

But I was wondering (if any translator here has some knowledge about fitness-related tips), if any short sport activity (like my static bicycle breaks) actually helps burn calories at all, especially because I don't really "sweat", given the short time my break takes.

Although I have a more or less "normal" weight, to be honest, I haven't noticed any major changes, but maybe I am not doing it as regularly as I should.

Just curious if anyone knows something about this or has tried something similar.

Saludos,

Ivette

Direct link Reply with quote

Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Starting to burn calories after 20 min. Jan 18, 2007

Hi Ivette,

I know that there are new ideas about what is healthy or helps loosing weight or burning calories almost every weak and I may not be up-to-date, but as far as I know, one starts burning calories after 20 minutes of fitness only. And you should not start cycling like mad because before starting to burn calories, you should warm up and that's why you probably don't burn many calories during your breaks. But this is only what I heard and there are a lot of experts in medecine here, so maybe you get a "friendlier" answer from one of them.

But still cycling a few minutes should be better than doing nothing...

Cheers,

Inga

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-18 13:18]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
a half-marathon effort in two packets of biscuits Jan 18, 2007

Hi ICL,
To give you an idea: I use an energy-burning monitoring device when I run, and I noticed two things: how hard it is to burn a sizeable amount of calories and how easily you can regain the energy you just burnt.
For instance, I alledgedly burn about 1200kcal running 21kms, which I could easily eat back in less than 5 minutes with a couple of packets of biscuits...

So a few minutes of bike a day may be worth a breadcrumb or two in energy-equivalent...
Work-out alone will surely keep you fit (heart, joints, blood flow, muscles...), but at your rate, you probably won't notice any difference in shape or weight. As they say, when there is no pain, there is no gain.

Anyway, your breaks are much healthier than mine (surf-the-web geek answer). Congratulations!
Philippe

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Early morning exercise Jan 18, 2007

I personally like getting it out of the way early in the morning, otherwise I'm good for nothing for the rest of the day.

I try to get to the gym between 6 and 7 am and power-walk/run on the treadmill for about 1 hour or share this cardio time between walking and "going nowhere up" on the stairmaster. Mondays and Thursdays I have a weight-lifting routine for legs (otherwise I get that tired feeling by sitting down for eight hours straight) and Tuesdays and Fridays for arms, shoulders, back, and chest (typing really wears your upper body down...) Then I get home at about 8-9 am to do my abs while watching the news.

After taking a shower and getting a snack (fruit, vegetables, juice), I start my day at about 10am and do my best to get everything done by 6pm. I don't take many breaks during work besides regular visits to the bathroom, to get something to eat or drink, and do some house work, such as vacuuming, laundry, and dishes. If I tried to squeeze some workout routines during these short breaks, I'd live at a pigsty!

All I know is that translators tend to be a little bit of workaholics and when we start working we just wanna get things done and tend to forget about time... Sounds familiar? But I had to take a stand and do something to "repair" my body because sitting for long periods of time was ruining my legs, and I intend to use them for the rest of my life...

Well, that's what works for me, but I know that some people feel more awake in the evening or even at night, so taking a walk around the block, going to the gym three times a week, rollerskating, or even practicing a team sport would be a great way to keep some discipline.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Program to encourage breaks Jan 18, 2007

This free program was recommended on another forum: Workrave. You can set it to control the length and frequency of short mini-breaks and longer rest and exercise breaks.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
weights Jan 18, 2007

ICL wrote:

Hello:

Following up on the most recent poll, about what we do when we take breaks from work, I got a sort of related question about this.

For a long time, I got a "static" bicycle next to my working area, so that *sometimes*, when I take breaks, I ride for about 3-5 minutes, mostly to "loosen" my muscles. I do it maybe 3 times during the time I am translating, depending on the number of breaks I take.

But I was wondering (if any translator here has some knowledge about fitness-related tips), if any short sport activity (like my static bicycle breaks) actually helps burn calories at all, especially because I don't really "sweat", given the short time my break takes.

Although I have a more or less "normal" weight, to be honest, I haven't noticed any major changes, but maybe I am not doing it as regularly as I should.

Just curious if anyone knows something about this or has tried something similar.

Saludos,

Ivette

Maybe you should use weights rather than a bicycle. Building muscle helps keep weight down, as more muscle means more calorie burning. However, you still should warm up.

Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:26
English to French
More and more Jan 19, 2007

Lia, I've always been told that muscles weigh more than fat but maybe it's a mistake. However, when I started playing more and more football, my thighs got bigger (my jeans can tell) and I put on weight, when I wanted all the contrary to happen. The reason was that I was building muscles.

But Ivette, if you want to see the difference, I think you might need more than 5mn of bicycle even though it really doesn't hurt to do it during your breaks indeed. I think it's a good way to forget about work for a few minutes and not to keep your eyes on the computer.

I completely agree with Philippe, "when there is no pain, there is no gain". That's the way it works. It might help you psychologically to relax, but physically it won't drastically change your body.

Emma

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Those calories... Jan 19, 2007

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.

Pirily, I had also heard that you need to "suffer" a bit to lose calories, so you are probably absolutely right....

Philippe, I also surf the web (and Proz.com) during some breaks, so I am not as "healthy" as it sounds, he he he.

Rafa, I am really impressed by your fitness program. In my case, I am not really so fitness-oriented, but I do ride the static bicycle on weekends (twice) for at least 30 minutes non-stop and that's when I really sweat.

Then the rest of the week I do what I had mentioned in my initial message, just short breaks, that simply help me "relax" my legs (that get a bit stiff from sitting so long in front of the PC). But I am also considering getting a stepper, the kind that is really complete with all the extra paraphernalia.

Goodwords, thanks for the tip about the program. Actually, I don't really have problem taking breaks, in fact I probably take too many (smile...), so maybe I need a program not to take so many.

Lia, I am not really into weights. I have heard that they can be very good in terms of fitness, but it is not really my kind of thing. But who knows, maybe I'll try them one of these days.

Have a good weekend you all,

Ivette

DBG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:26
Member (2002)
French to English
"Don't worry, be happy" Jan 19, 2007

Hello Ivette,

For those short breaks while translating, why not just aim at doing whatever makes you feel best and help you work efficiently?

Trying to mix that with the aims of burning calories and fat (so hard ,as colleagues have said), working up a sweat, getting your heart rate up,etc. may just detract from the main point of taking those little breaks, to loosen up, release tension, clear your brain, but not add performance stress of another kind.

You've been using the bike to loosen your muscles. If it works for you, great. I hope you start gradually and build up your speed/resistance level.
Some people just need to do some stretching, to move around, breathe some fresh air [or surf the web, chat:-)], but if you prefer more intense effort (calories aside), there are plenty of other simple things you can do.
There are the weights some suggested, and resistance bands (easy to keep handy) , jumping rope (if not too high impact for your joints and bones), plain old calisthenics, running up and down stairs and so on. On the other hand, as Lia and Pirily said, you really ought to warm up before starting any intense activity.
Whatever you do of all that can only be good for you somehow. I just think the focus should be on enjoyment, not performance in this situation.
All the best,
Diantha

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Emmanuelle and Diantha Jan 19, 2007

Hi,

Yes, I enjoy a lot my bicycle breaks, because I turn on my "dancing" music mp3's and ride at the rhythm of the music. Kind of aerobic style.

I was just curious if doing those short bike breaks actually contributed at all in terms of burning calories. I mean, it would be nice if they did, but it is OK if they don't. I still like it a lot.

And, like I said, I do my normal bike fitness program on weekends, which I also enjoy a lot.

I am also considering what you said, jumping rope, because as a child I loved this, so I might try it again.

I just think it is very important, as we are people who work so long in front of the PC, not to underestimate the importance of physical activities, because you might get either overweight or have blood circulation problems.

Enjoy your weekend, too,

Ivette

[Edited at 2007-01-19 13:28]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fitness while translating

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs