Mobile menu

Off topic: private healthcare companies in EU
Thread poster: eva75

eva75
English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2007

My primary residence for fiscal and social insurance purposes is the UK, but I also spend a lot of time in my secondary residence: France.

My only health insurance currently is the public one in my home country. I would like to pay into a private insurance fund that would cover my healthcare needs all over Europe, in particular while I am residing in France. Does this exist and what are the best providers out there?

A friend of mine said that some new EU law gives EU citizens the right to choose a healthcare provider in ANY EU country. (same case as for bank accounts)

I'd be very grateful if anyone could lead me in the right direction, even a few internet links would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:43
English to Greek
+ ...
Healthcare insurance Jan 24, 2007

Hi Eva,

Back when I worked in financial services, I came across a Danish company that seemed to be quite good at that time, if a bit expensive, although its cover was first class.

Here is their website, if you want to have a look:

http://www.ihi.com/english.asp

They cover all over the world apparently.

Hope this helps

Regards
Lina

Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Are you sure that you cannot have public health coverage in Europe? Jan 24, 2007

Eva,

just in case you are still not thoroughly convinced of opting for private insurances, in my country, Italy, when you are temporarily staying abroad in a EU member state, you can ask for a special green paper that gives you the right to recurr to the local national health service in the relevant country, at the same conditions you would get in Italy. I imagine that this is not a particular priviledge we have as Italian citizens, but rather the result of bilateral or multilateral agreements at the EU level.

Francesca

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
private not state Jan 24, 2007

Francesca Pesce wrote:

Eva,

just in case you are still not thoroughly convinced of opting for private insurances, in my country, Italy, when you are temporarily staying abroad in a EU member state, you can ask for a special green paper that gives you the right to recurr to the local national health service in the relevant country, at the same conditions you would get in Italy. I imagine that this is not a particular priviledge we have as Italian citizens, but rather the result of bilateral or multilateral agreements at the EU level.

Francesca

Not sure exactly if this green paper could be the European health Insurance Card. Yes, but this is available for limited periods only and your costs may only be reimbursed (or most of the costs) after hospital treatment. It also only covers emergencies. What i'm talking about is a PRIVATE insurance that would cover me for dental and eyecare expenses for example, without having to depend on my state healthcare programme (which sucks).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

private healthcare companies in EU

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs