Off topic: How to get rid of unknown skype users?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:49
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

Hi!

When I downloaded skype I never thought I could be contacted by someone else other than the ones I give my skype contact. I thought it was a kind of MSN but with other different features.

I started being contacted by men I don't know. In the beginning I was nice and told them I used skype only for professional reasons and said goodbye, but now it really starts annoying me.

So, I wrote beside my name "UNKNOWN PEOPLE PLEASE DON'T CALL. BUSINESS ONLY!" and
... See more
Hi!

When I downloaded skype I never thought I could be contacted by someone else other than the ones I give my skype contact. I thought it was a kind of MSN but with other different features.

I started being contacted by men I don't know. In the beginning I was nice and told them I used skype only for professional reasons and said goodbye, but now it really starts annoying me.

So, I wrote beside my name "UNKNOWN PEOPLE PLEASE DON'T CALL. BUSINESS ONLY!" and unknown people keep on calling me.

I am working, or doing something else at home and someone calls me or writes me from skype. It's a waste of my time and patience...

I know that I can choose to only receive calls from people I gave my contact to, or people from my contact list, but if I do so chances of getting a professional unknown contact will be null.

Is there another way out?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience on this, since I'm quite new at skype.

Best regards to all,
Ivana
Collapse

Mariana Idiart
Mariana Idiart  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chage your settings Jan 26, 2007

Hi Ivana!

What you should do to avoid being contacted by anyone at anytime is change your privacy settings. You may change these from Tools/Options/Privacy on Skype.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mariana

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:49
English to Polish
+ ...
no "skype me" status Jan 26, 2007

Hi Ivana,

You probably don't set that status but if by any chance you do - change it to "available".
I'm afraid not much can be done about your problem. You can block users once they contact you.

Otherwise, it's an either/or issue - being contacted by anyone or only by added contacts.

Best regards!
Michał

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:49
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see... Jan 26, 2007

There's really not much I can do...

I tried to change my status into "busy" but it prevents anyone from contacting me at all.

I was a bit rude to a guy today because I don't want to get bothered through skype, unless it's business or someone I know. I am really not interested in knowing men like I was in a chat room or something. I guess I just have to ignore those people from now on and don't even bothe
... See more
There's really not much I can do...

I tried to change my status into "busy" but it prevents anyone from contacting me at all.

I was a bit rude to a guy today because I don't want to get bothered through skype, unless it's business or someone I know. I am really not interested in knowing men like I was in a chat room or something. I guess I just have to ignore those people from now on and don't even bother telling them I don't want to meet them.

This guy today really got on my nerves! He said "hi", I replied "Hi, do I know you?", he replied "Maybe". Then, it was just a guy who wanted to know me and before I wrote him (he tried to call first but I didn't reply because I didn't hear it) that I used skype for professional business or private issues, he was already telling me "You don't really know me but we can meet. Nice to meet you."

NO WAY! I told him I was married and had a son and didn't want those kind of contacts and then I blocked him.

And then I opened up this topic hoping there was a way of doing something.

Thank you anyway, Mariana and Michal.

Best regards
Ivana
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had a similar problem Jan 26, 2007

... perhaps this might help you:

http://www.proz.com/post/466428

I finally changed the settings to:

Allow phone calls from my contacts only
Allow chats from anyone

I also deleted from my profila any and all information that may contain clues about my gender and/or age.

Since most people dowload Skype to talk (as opposed to instant mess
... See more
... perhaps this might help you:

http://www.proz.com/post/466428

I finally changed the settings to:

Allow phone calls from my contacts only
Allow chats from anyone

I also deleted from my profila any and all information that may contain clues about my gender and/or age.

Since most people dowload Skype to talk (as opposed to instant messaging), and it is usually guys who try to contact women (no offense intended, please), the requests from unknown people diminished to one per month.

I hope this helps!

PS: in my experience, business-related calls still come in because they have approached me via Sype IM first.

[Edited at 2007-01-26 16:48]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:49
English to French
Apart from a gender change... Jan 26, 2007

Allow only your contacts to call/chat as Andrea and Mariana stated.

If somebody who's not a contact wants to get in touch, he/she sends you a introducing window stating by default some dumb message such as "Hi, please add me to your contact list", which he/she can change to introduce him/herself properly if he/she knows you (such as "Hi, I am Manfred, we crashed into each other while skiing in Val Thorens. Wanna know who won the number-of-stiches contest?"). You then choose to accep
... See more
Allow only your contacts to call/chat as Andrea and Mariana stated.

If somebody who's not a contact wants to get in touch, he/she sends you a introducing window stating by default some dumb message such as "Hi, please add me to your contact list", which he/she can change to introduce him/herself properly if he/she knows you (such as "Hi, I am Manfred, we crashed into each other while skiing in Val Thorens. Wanna know who won the number-of-stiches contest?"). You then choose to accept, ignore or bar him/her altogether. It is then very quick to get rid of unwanted roamers.

I am always on the "Busy" status, but it won't prevent known/unknown people to try and contact me, through chat or voice call. The status is only a means to show the world what you're up to. It won't affect the way people contact you if they want to.

Unfortunately for you, women are much more targeted than men. With the same settings, my wife gets far more offers than me!

Happy chatting,
Philippe

PS: I am glad to see that after a quick Skype check you are far younger than me!

[Edited at 2007-01-26 19:28]
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
English to French
+ ...
agree with Andrea and Philippe Jan 26, 2007

I also erased any information besides my name and country, and people have to ask my "permission" in order to chat or speak with me for the first time. So whenever it happens (much less now anyway since I did that), I just block them. If someone really wants to work with me, he/she is able to find my e-mail as well. I use Skype with people whom I have "met" before. Some agencies tell me by e-mail "we would like to talk with you on Skype", so I know it's them. Maybe I miss a few opportunities, bu... See more
I also erased any information besides my name and country, and people have to ask my "permission" in order to chat or speak with me for the first time. So whenever it happens (much less now anyway since I did that), I just block them. If someone really wants to work with me, he/she is able to find my e-mail as well. I use Skype with people whom I have "met" before. Some agencies tell me by e-mail "we would like to talk with you on Skype", so I know it's them. Maybe I miss a few opportunities, but my peace is well worth it.Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Age Jan 27, 2007

Well... I had this problem so I changed my age.

and people never contact me again once they know I'm sooooooo old

I don't lie, but I had no choice.

nontekkyguy
nontekkyguy
Spanish to English
Same problem Feb 28, 2007

Hi Ivana,
I am male and I experienced similar situations on Skype. Yes, it happens to guys too. I always choose "decline." My main concern being those nefarious hackers or spam marketeers who try to get on someone's list in order to spy or steal. I treat Skype like my own personal telephone: I don't accept calls from strangers no matter the reason or request. Hope that lends some insight.

[Edited at 2007-02-28 15:28]

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Feb 28, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Well... I had this problem so I changed my age.

and people never contact me again once they know I'm sooooooo old

I don't lie, but I had no choice.

I'm sorry, I just have to ask... how old do you claim to be in Skype???

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get rid of unknown skype users?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »