Thread poster: Hipyan Nopri

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:30
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2007

Hello Fellow Translators,

When I started freelancing in early 1990, my trousers size was 30. Now, after working at home sitting in front of computer all day, my size increases to 38.

In fact, I feel healthier and more comfortable if can maintain my slimness.

How about yourself? What are the effects of working at home on your body? What do you do to maintain your slimness?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Best Regards

Hipyan Nopri

Direct link Reply with quote

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's them, not you Feb 12, 2007

Don't worry, the company manufacturing pants has changed its sizes. What they used to call size 30, they now call size 38.

It's not you, it's them.

Seriously though, I just ended a month on a diet where you receive a month's worth of food in one big package. The food tasted OK, one class up from airline food (which I don't mind at all). It taught me that I don't need much, and that I definitely shouldn't snack between meals. Now I eat apples, pears, bananas, drink lots of water and eat small portions of food.

I haven't lost much, yet, a couple of ounces maybe. But at least I haven't gained. And as soon as it gets warmer here in Minnesota (we had a night of -25 C recently), I'll get back on my bicycle and start taking walks around the neighborhood again.

That combination, walking/biking and less food/fewer calories should teach those pantsmakers a lesson. They can't just change their sizes!

Basit Ijaz
Pakistan
Local time: 14:30
Member (2010)
English to Urdu
+ ...
ha ha ha Feb 12, 2007

Nice joke Benno, if you was really kidding Nopri...i really liked that you are making Nopri feel normal about her pant size!!!

As far as working at home is concerned, sometimes I feel lazy at home while working. As there's no check and balance on you and one may fall into laziness. Secondly, an office provides working environment where no one feel relaxed, as everyone knows that this a place for work.

So, sometimes...just sometimes, "home sweet home" makes me lazy.

Thanks.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:30
English to Indonesian
+ ...
try a bit of exercise Feb 12, 2007

imo, if you're getting (too) comfortable in any job, especially non-field clerical office job, you'll eventually piled up some blubber...
personally, i go to the gym at the start of the day. usually around 6-6:30 for only about half an hour, as i have a day job. it works great for me. hope it can do you good too.

lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
some sports Feb 12, 2007

I go swimminig several times a week. It's not very effective in such a case when I was involved in a long-time rush job and had to give up swimming for N days. But now I keep myself away from big rush jobs, whenever possible, for my health.

[Edited at 2007-02-12 07:19]

aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
9 to 5 Feb 12, 2007

This is the problem of working from home - we tend to overdo it. I try to keep strict working hours so that I don't sit for a long time before the computer. Anyway I also teach, and that takes care of burning calories.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:30
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Same here Feb 12, 2007

Hi Hipyan,

Well, don't worry, you are not the only one... I suffered that too. And it is all the more noticeable because of the way I used to be (imagine the before and after ad pictures the other way round guess you'll understand what I mean).

I plan it all the time... exercise etc. but I'm never sure when I'll be free and these gym/ aerobics class people they want you to give a fixed time for at least one or two months!!!

I can't even tell at what time I'll be free tomorrow so how do I give them my schedule for two months or whatever?

Tried to discuss with them but doesn't work.

Tried one of those diets... fell sick... it was healthy food but my body doesn't like it

So, I'm happy working... thought of going on walks... too cold in the morning, rains during daytime etc.

Anyways, I think I'll go on a summer-camp (I used to do that earlier... long long ago) and get all the exercise I need. Well, who knows, if I start planning from now on... I might just be able to do it.

And god... how much I hate those people who make clothes

Guess I'm just a plain difficult person

Have a nice day anyways.

Ritu

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Running... Feb 12, 2007

Same position as you so...I started running on September 3rd 2006.
I printed off a beginner's training plan from the "run for life" website, stuck in on the fridge and followed it religiously.
At the start, it wanted me running 1 min followed by walking 1 min and jeepers creepers it was SO hard, but....
I just ran 5.7 km non stop yesterday (that will be making real runners howl with laughter, but I am so proud of myself!)
I am definitely getting fitter instead of fatter, but there's no way around the fact that you have to allocate time for exercising if you want to see any results at all!
Isabel

Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
Member (2010)
Italian to English
You could get a dog Feb 12, 2007

I have two dogs and therefore have to walk them everyday. I usually take them out for about an hour a day and try to walk fairly briskly. It certainly helps keep the weight down and I feel much healthier for it.
Keeping a dog is also supposed to reduce stress levels, or so I have read

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
How to battle laziness? Feb 12, 2007

Hi all,
I've been thinking about this problem a lot lately, especially the past week. I am now working on a big assignment, and I don't exercise at all. I am so stiff it hurts to move! I should really exercise more, but I am so lazy. I am very slim, so it's not about the weight, but my body hurts (one leg is a bit longer than the other and if I don't move it starts to hurt). I want to take better care of my body, but the laziness is stronger... This weekend I was in pain because of a gallbladder problem (it's also lazy...), and I thought: I really have to take action. I have to take better care of my body. But from where do you get your discipline??

Anne Marie B
Canada
English to French
Find a Physical Activity You Like Feb 12, 2007

Benno, the pants size theory is so well stated...

The trick I believe is to find a physical activity you enjoy and do it. And a good way to find one is to look back to when you were a kid and remember what you liked doing then as a sport. For me it was dancing and now it is still the activity that fulfils me the most. When I manage to take classes, I stay fit. I also never use a car and walk to just about everywhere (and I have to little ones to bring to school everyday). I love walking and it is one of my contributions to the well being of the planet.

But I must confess, I am now temporarily in the South of France (and not in Canada like my profile indicates) and I discovered Belgian chocolate (it is a taste of my childhood in Brussels). Forget about saucissons, cheeses, etc., chocolate does it for me these days and comforts me when I am sitting at my desk working. I do not cut it, not to build frustration. I suppose I will eventually get tired of it (the sooner the better).

Anyway guys, we are in this together!

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Not just the waistline.. Feb 12, 2007

It is OK for men to put on weight, it is easier for you to find clothes! Whereas for women...don't get me started.

Weight gain goes on my top half which means I'm prone to flabby arms and love handles. And IT SUCKS!

Oh, I had wonderful intentions this year. I had printed off some good exercises techniques from a reliable fitness site. I've been watching what I eat. I have lost a few pounds but I can't see a big difference. Dieting is not enough for me, I have to exercise. But because I'm up to my eyeballs with a super-urgent project this week, I can tell you now exercise won't happen this week. Also, I'm going to Germany this weekend, land of tasty carb-laden treats. I'm doomed...

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
And then Interpreting Feb 12, 2007

The other day I was reading about this interpreter who gets the chance to do all sorts of activities while interpreting (scuba diving, hiking etc.)... Lucky girl.

Whereas when I interpret, I'm on projects that make me gain more and more weight

My weight gain became so much more visible just after I returned from an interpreting assignment at a Dairy.

I can't resist Cheese (well something I started liking in France)... and there I had to taste all sorts of dairy products...

Nice experience but someone told me I need to exercise a lot

so rude!!!

Only, it's true.

BTW how does one get that sort of assignments? I'm still wondering.

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Discipline, Diet, Exercise, Proper Office Equipment Feb 12, 2007

The basics of weight control are diet and exercise: it's mathematical, burn off more calories that you take in. I would recommend eating fresh foods, load up as much as possible on fruits and vegetables, try to reduce portions on carbohydrates, and minimize fatty meats. Of course if you have special issues, consult a professional nutritionist.

In any case, a sensible diet usually needs to be accompanied by an exercise program, at the very least stretching for your neck and back muscles, and most likely also some kind of aerobic activity: there are many space-efficient machines available today that you can set up at home. Again, if you have special physical issues, consult a body training or physical therapy professional.

Implementing any diet and exercise program also requires mental discipline to overcome laziness and just do it, as they say.

Invest in a comfortable office layout, whatever works best for you. For example, I invested $1200 in an orthopedic chair and it helped me solve some physical problems: being comfortable in a sitting position some 12-14 hours a day is concretely worth well more than some vague unit of account tallying to one thousand two hundred.

Actually I believe that the health hazards of working at home are fewer than working in an office: you avoid the stress of commuting, you stay away from other people's infections, you can prepare the fresh food of your choice, you can provide yourself with opportunities to exercise, and you can set up the office layout of your choice.

With this freedom, the most important extra ingredient you must supply is discipline.

All the best!

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
Find the little ways... Feb 12, 2007

I agree with the general trend of comments here that discipline is key, and it starts from within. My teacher always told me the key to weight control is "Less intake, more output."

Plenty can be said about the first element, and has already been mentioned above.

RE maximizing the output or exertion, it is great if you are able to find the time (and climate!) for that daily or regular periodic exercise period. Or the gym membership. But realistically this is not always possible.

What I notice is finding the little ways to expend more energy and do exercise in our daily work makes a big difference. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park a little farther from the store. Get out of the bus one or two stops earlier and walk. Carry my bag instead of pulling it with wheels. Here's a hard one: don't use the remote control! Etc., etc.

All small things, but when you do it as a habit, they all add up to contribute to a healthy lifestyle, without making a huge difference in the amount of time we spend.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Effects of Working at Home on Your Body

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs