Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get smart, Özden!!! :-))) Feb 20, 2007

Özden Arıkan wrote:

I can see what type of fetishist he is, though, but couldn't remember the guy himself

He is CONTROL'S top spy! Maxwell Smart!!!

Au (I LOVED him!)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 22:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm not Aurora, but... Feb 20, 2007

It's Maxwell Smart from the 1960s TV spy spoof Get Smart! Played by the recently deceased and lamented Don Adams.

He's not a shoe fetishist. That's a secret phone he carried in his shoe. Have you ever thought about how many plot difficulties in older movies and TV shows would easily be remedied if the people just had cell phones?

Jane

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Double meaning Feb 20, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

It's Maxwell Smart from the 1960s TV spy spoof Get Smart! Played by the recently deceased and lamented Don Adams.

He's not a shoe fetishist. That's a secret phone he carried in his shoe. Have you ever thought about how many plot difficulties in older movies and TV shows would easily be remedied if the people just had cell phones?

Jane

I was once told that the name of the series (Get Smart!) had a double meaning in English. In Spanish the double meaning cannot be maintained in the translation: ¡Atrapen a Smart!/¡Avivate!

Do you (or anybody else) happen to know if this is true?

Au

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on what you mean by "double meaning." Feb 20, 2007

Usually when people say "double meaning" or "doble sentido" they mean there's a sinister or sexual innuendo. I don't know of anything of that sort here, though according to IMdB, Agent 99 was originally going to be Agent 69. (Hmmmm!) The title is certainly a play on words, though.

Your two versions of the Spanish title make it clear that you already know this. Since the title character's name is Smart, "Get Smart" can mean (if said by the bad guys) "Catch/Kill/Stop Smart" or (if sai
... See more
Usually when people say "double meaning" or "doble sentido" they mean there's a sinister or sexual innuendo. I don't know of anything of that sort here, though according to IMdB, Agent 99 was originally going to be Agent 69. (Hmmmm!) The title is certainly a play on words, though.

Your two versions of the Spanish title make it clear that you already know this. Since the title character's name is Smart, "Get Smart" can mean (if said by the bad guys) "Catch/Kill/Stop Smart" or (if said by the good guys) "Find Smart and get him to do this job--no one else is up to it, he's the one we need--get Smart for this mission."

And, as you indicated with "avívate," "Get Smart" means wise up, become intelligent, stop messing around, wake up and smell the coffee, do the intelligent thing.

And since Maxwell Smart was actually not bright at all, and yet everything worked out for the good guys, the title was hilariously ironic.

And until I realized what you were saying, I was shocked at the title of your previous post, when you told Özden to get smart--like she was previously being not-so-smart! So I guess that's the double meaning--unless somebody else knows something I don't.

Thanks for the memories, Au!

Jane
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-))) Feb 20, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

And until I realized what you were saying, I was shocked at the title of your previous post, when you told Özden to get smart--like she was previously being not-so-smart!

I was really daring, but Özden knows I am always making jokes. Özden? Özden? Where are you?

A couple of years ago, I went to see Get Smart! (The Movie)... I was completely disappointed as I did not feel the same, mainly because of Agent 86's voice. Ok, it was still Mel Brooke's humor and bla bla bla... but the voice... was key to me.

Au

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sorry, lost in the IMDB archives :-))) Feb 20, 2007

I was checking this Get Smart and its star. I had no idea about it before... should have gotten smarter, very embarassing

I was never too interested in spy stuff (or its parodies), but I'm a huge fan of Sean Connery the Magnificent Macho (I even had my pic taken in his arm... OK, OK, his wax model's arm)! And guess what, a German channel has been broadcasting all James Bond movies! Thinking of today's technology, many
... See more
I was checking this Get Smart and its star. I had no idea about it before... should have gotten smarter, very embarassing

I was never too interested in spy stuff (or its parodies), but I'm a huge fan of Sean Connery the Magnificent Macho (I even had my pic taken in his arm... OK, OK, his wax model's arm)! And guess what, a German channel has been broadcasting all James Bond movies! Thinking of today's technology, many tricks look very funny though (things meant to be serious are funnier than Smart's shoe), but who cares

[Sorry for still flooding and straying from the topic on top of it, Cecilia]
Collapse

lucylee
lucylee
Local time: 10:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
i 'm a tv series addict,too Feb 26, 2007

Lost, X-file, prison break, freinds, sex and the city, ugly betty, it seems they are popual all over the world, so as in China, most of my spare time, I spent on watching tv.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:09
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
A parody on Lost. Feb 26, 2007

I just think you people might want to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjQ3gd5Kn8

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh dear... Mar 1, 2007

During his summer holidays (which finished today) my boyfriend managed to turn me into a Prison Break addict.

::sigh::

[Edited at 2007-03-01 02:34]

Valérie Madesclair
Valérie Madesclair
France
English to French
+ ...
Series addict too Mar 4, 2007

I don't watch any of the series on TV, as they are all dubbed into French. So I wait for them to be released on DVD (I never download, therefore I am always one season behind my friends).

The oldies

One foot in the grave (perhaps my best Brit comedy ever)
Are you being served? (I have just finished the 11 seasons and can't wait to watch other shows played by the actors)
Keeping up appearances (simply brilliant)
Jeeves and Wooster (If you haven't watc
... See more
I don't watch any of the series on TV, as they are all dubbed into French. So I wait for them to be released on DVD (I never download, therefore I am always one season behind my friends).

The oldies

One foot in the grave (perhaps my best Brit comedy ever)
Are you being served? (I have just finished the 11 seasons and can't wait to watch other shows played by the actors)
Keeping up appearances (simply brilliant)
Jeeves and Wooster (If you haven't watched it, you should! Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are amazing.)
Sherlock Holmes (featured Jeremy Brett, a fabulous actor)
Fawlty Tower (hilarious)
The Prisoner
The Persuaders
The Saint
Cheers (too bad that it seems so difficult to buy all the seasons)
Frasier (witty)
Sex and the City

Les brigades du Tigre (French one I used to watch when I was a teen, it takes place at the beginning of the 20th century)
Les Saintes-Chéries (another French one released in the sixties)
Rocambole (too short!)

The recent ones:

Cadfael
Lost (I can't wait to be able to buy the 3rd season)
The Soprano
Desperate Housewifes
Hercule Poirot (David Suchet is amazing, I don't think I would be able to watch another Poirot's movie without him - alike Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett)
Six feet under
The West Wing (helped me to understand the American institutions)
Carnivàle (has a bit of David Lynch's style in it, very weird but so well filmed and so captivating)
Rome (unfortunately this series will consist of only 2 seasons as it was too expensive in comparison with the American audience - it's a shame, it's one of the most brilliant historical series on this period. Watch it if you can, you won't regret it!)

[Modifié le 2007-03-04 11:35]
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 12:09
Italian to English
I agree Apr 16, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Sure, it's very dated, but the writing and acting were so good. Every so often I'll catch a rerun, and am always impressed with what a groundbreaking, topical show it was for the 1970s. It completely changed prime-time American television.

I've also seen a few episodes of the British series on which it was based, "Till Death Us Do Part," which in hindsight just seems shrill, despite an outstanding cast.

[Edited at 2007-02-15 22:57]

Hello Steven. I'm glad to meet another All In The Family fan. Archie Bunker and his family were tops in my opinion.
"Those were the days"

Robert

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
ANY HEARTLEY HIGH FAN?? Apr 20, 2007

Nice one! I really like this topic! i must say i can stay in front of the tv all day and never get bored! just give me a telly and i ll become part of the couch..!

my fav tv shows ever..hmm..i guess anything from the '80s, really, especially "the addams", "a-team" (i was so much in love with murdoch), and "fame".
I loved "twin peaks" but totally i totally disapproved its ending.
I looove "scrubs"! and "friends"!

but one of my fav shows EVER is something th
... See more
Nice one! I really like this topic! i must say i can stay in front of the tv all day and never get bored! just give me a telly and i ll become part of the couch..!

my fav tv shows ever..hmm..i guess anything from the '80s, really, especially "the addams", "a-team" (i was so much in love with murdoch), and "fame".

but one of my fav shows EVER is something that wes never even shown here in Italy, "heartbreak high", which is an aussie tv show talking about school, but was really about "individuals". I used to watch it on the french channel and i was destroyed when it was over..
here s the link:
http://www.heartbreak-high.com/homepage.htm

but it s so unfair cos there are no dvd available although there are still so many fans around.

Anyone here??
fra
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 12:09
Italian to English
Ciao Apr 20, 2007

francesca battaglia wrote:

but one of my fav shows EVER is something that wes never even shown here in Italy, "heartbreak high", which is an aussie tv show talking about school, but was really about "individuals". I used to watch it on the french channel and i was destroyed when it was over..
here s the link:
http://www.heartbreak-high.com/homepage.htm

but it s so unfair cos there are no dvd available although there are still so many fans around.

Anyone here??
fra

Ciao Francesca! I vaguely remember HH, but perhaps it's a little out of my "age" slot, heheheheh!!! Anyway, thank you for the reminder!! What I do NOT like are the silly reality shows! Let's face it, who are they trying to fool? I don't like reality shows because the ACTORS in them try to look real while even a baby can see that they're fake all over. Un pacco ragazzi!!

Robert.

Caroline Stange
Caroline Stange  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
My favourites are ... May 29, 2007

Mc Leod's daughters and Gilmore Girls!!! Of course I also watch some other series like Charmed, OC, Grey's Anatomy, ... I love series!

Kevin Zhang
Kevin Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
Prison Break! May 31, 2007

Especially season 1, pretty good.

However, I really can't stand there is season 3. Maybe MS & LB wanna break all the prisons in the world.

Lost has become boring since season 2.

Frankly speaking, 24 is not bad. But I just want to know: when will God Jack die?

Desperate Housewives: there is not so much violence. I don't like it.

Hero: so so

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favourite TV series ever

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »