Off topic: Proz in Prozians’ eyes
Thread poster: ahmadwadan.com

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 15:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 27, 2007

How do you rate Proz.com among the top 10 competitors? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th…etc. and if it is not number 1 which is?

Kind regards

Ahmed Wadan
English-Arabic Financial Translator

Direct link

Mona Ragaei
Kuwait
Local time: 15:13
Arabic
+ ...
1st Feb 27, 2007

Although I don't have much knowledge of similar sites.

This may be because i Need not to find similar or other sites that may help me "as a translator". what else could be introduced.

I mean with proz you can learn, have fun, gain money, enrich your community either through people's opinions or the references they may provide. it also helps in so many differenct aspects, when you meet people worlwide and diccuss whatever obstacles you may encounter. it is just perfect.

I beleive proz is number one

Direct link

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Depends Feb 27, 2007

Competitors in what area?

It's not my favourite coffee brand.

It's not my favourite source of jobs.
I get most leads from people who find my website via Google, then from the directory of my professional association here in Germany. I get plenty of enquiries from potential agencies that have seen me on ProZ, but most of them are offering knock-down prices that are not worth even looking at. I have found a couple of good clients through ProZ, although it hasn't (so far) led many jobs (which may be because I often have no time for them). I also have one excellent regular agency client that sometimes posts jobs on ProZ, but I worked for this agency long before I came here. And I suppose there are one or two other old clients of mine here, too.

It's not my favourite dictionary.
Although I often check tricky words on ProZ. Usually not in the glossary (which is often questionable in quality), but the KudoZ discussions on terms are often extremely helpful. Unfortunately (as someone once quipped), the questions are graded and the glossary entries made by the one person who didn't know the answer.

But it is just about my favourite medium for professional discussion (which is why I visit the forums more often than the list of KudoZ questions).
I am also on a couple of mailing lists, which are also very good at times. Their drawback is that you get every message and every topic, so you have to skip a lot of what you receive. On ProZ you can choose what topics you look at, you can go there whenever you want to (e.g. for a break, or when you have just delivered a job), and if you really want to follow a discussion, you can get e-mail notifications. And the use of photos (or at least logos) means that you can usually get a visual impression of who you're "talking" with.

Direct link

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not a suitable topic Feb 27, 2007

Even to mention rival translation sites is frowned on in ProZ, let alone rating them higher than ProZ. I am pretty sure there is something in the rules for forums that will prevent this topic going any further, and that a moderator will lock or delete it.

Direct link

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Flemish to English
+ ...
No democracy Feb 27, 2007

Free speech is not within the scope of the forums.

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:13
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
We don't discuss competitors Feb 27, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

Even to mention rival translation sites is frowned on in ProZ, let alone rating them higher than ProZ. I am pretty sure there is something in the rules for forums that will prevent this topic going any further, and that a moderator will lock or delete it.

Hi Jack and all,

the agreed line amongst site owners and site moderators is to not allow discussions about competing sites.

This is done to avoid embarrassing situations where other sites may be criticized, no matter if that is fair or unfair, and they would not find easy to answer. On the other hand, it would also be embarrassing to have them quip here, in a competing site, and talk about themselves.

Just ask yourself, if you had a website dedicated to any other subject or a market, for example, let's suppose you were selling photos, and you had some very active and lively forums in you site.
Would you allow other photographic sites to advertise themselves?
Would you find it polite or ethical to allow your members to criticize other competing sites?
Would you allow the competitors to answer and engage in discussions about themselves in your site?

As you can see, the whole situation would not be acceptable, however you look at it.

This site considers simply inappropriate to talk about competitors in any way, positive or negative. I'm sorry to say that this policy is not understood and not reciprocated by others.

Our policy also derives from having experienced many (and still occurring), attempts to use the stage provided by the ProZ.com forums to advertise other translators' venues.
In other words, people who have decided to create another site, or their members, attempt to use ProZ.com to advertise other enterprises. What a cheek!

In my opinion this is not a matter of freedom of speech, or a supposed lack of it, but rather of common sense and politeness, where we act politely and avoid to disparage other translators' venues, and, of course, we are not available to provide a platform to advertise them. It seems fair to me.

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2007-02-27 12:07]

Direct link

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:13
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Locking this thread Feb 27, 2007

Williamson wrote:
Free speech is not within the scope of the forums.

Dear Williamson and all,

I have explained above that this is not a matter of freedom of speech, but rather of politeness and respect, towards competitors too. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm locking this thread and leave it visible to have it referenced, in case a similar topic is started again in the future.

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2007-02-27 11:48]

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz in Prozians’ eyes

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs