Mobile menu

Off topic: Legal precedents involving translators and interpreters
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

I know I have done similar forums to this one but I found a very good case regarding Title VI of the Civil Rights act.

Lau V. Nichols

The United States Supreme
Court held that the San Francisco
School District violated Title VI by failing to take affirmative steps to assist LEP Chinese students.

Lau and subsequent cases interpret Title VI as obligating recipients of federal funds to provide language services. However, in the past, the federal
government had not done enough to assist recipients of federal funds in understanding the scope of Title
VI or in assisting recipients in complying with Title VI.

Anybody know of any other cases such as this one? Please share!

Direct link Reply with quote
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Title VI Mar 2, 2007 has some general information about Title VI. If you want to find some case law about Title VI, I recommend using a site such as . Title VI requires that recipients of federal aid provide interpreting services for people with limited English proficiency, and thus this provision of law has an impact on interpreters and translators.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal precedents involving translators and interpreters

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs