Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Off topic: What is your most frequently misspelled word? - Transaltion translatated...
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, and you're right. (write, Wright, rite) Mar 2, 2007

María Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

Am I making any sense to you?

One of my professors (an Argentine, teaching translation in Puerto Rico) used to be amazed that an English speaker could not necessarily tell him how to pronounce a given word. I'll have to approximate his words in English (this is not the Spanish forum), but he would say, "I asked XX how to pronounce __________ and he told me, 'I don't know, I've never heard it'!"

English has many wonderful characteristics, including its economy of expression and its receptiveness to loanwords and new coinages. (I don't know about other countries, but in Puerto Rico, it is impossible to have an all-Spanish conversation about computers.) Spelling and pronunciation, however, were not designed with the English-as-a-second-language learner in mind!

Sorry; my language, but not my fault!

Jane

[Edited at 2007-03-02 22:07]

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mine... Mar 2, 2007

Aiam veri sori for ior speling misteics. uóts rong uiz iu ól? It jas never jápend tu mi.

Now seriously:
My typical are...my own name: Caludia
In Spanish: pordque
In English: (and this is awful) coproration

This is really fun!
Claudia

Yasmin7903
Yasmin7903
Local time: 09:30
Arabic to German
+ ...
Shcule Mar 2, 2007

I type "sch" quite often in a wrong order, "Shcule" for e. g., and sometimes when writing English I replace "sh" with "sch". Also I tend to forget the first t in "Institut", because in German it is not pronounced.
I used to misspell (better to say my own name at first, writing "Ysamin" or "Yasnim", but because it appears in my email and a number of forums etc., which means that I have to type it many times a day, I can now get it right even with closed eyes.

[Edited at 2007-0
... See more
I type "sch" quite often in a wrong order, "Shcule" for e. g., and sometimes when writing English I replace "sh" with "sch". Also I tend to forget the first t in "Institut", because in German it is not pronounced.
I used to misspell (better to say my own name at first, writing "Ysamin" or "Yasnim", but because it appears in my email and a number of forums etc., which means that I have to type it many times a day, I can now get it right even with closed eyes.

[Edited at 2007-03-02 22:53]
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Victim of auto correct Mar 2, 2007

Hi,

Sizin
sizing

sonra
sonar

I am lazy and dont want to change auto-correct function and list to be corrected...

Regards,

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
finanical and pubic prosecutor Mar 2, 2007

Not too good for someone who works mostly in accounting with the occasional project for the local courts - and the spellcheck sees nothing wrong with "pubic prosecutor"...
I can generally manage my name though!
Thanks for a fun thread!

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to French
+ ...
I'm having a blast!!! :D :D :D Mar 3, 2007

Thanks for this post! I've been laughing so much all my tensions are vanishing (for a while at least)...

Well, mine are:

French:
masi for mais
poru for pour, so systematically that I have been thinking of making it an Autocorrect, but then I always end up thinking I'd better learn to type right, which I never do of course...

and when I accelerate too much, I tend to put the last letter of the previous word at the beginnin gof the nex tone... mak
... See more
Thanks for this post! I've been laughing so much all my tensions are vanishing (for a while at least)...

Well, mine are:

French:
masi for mais
poru for pour, so systematically that I have been thinking of making it an Autocorrect, but then I always end up thinking I'd better learn to type right, which I never do of course...

and when I accelerate too much, I tend to put the last letter of the previous word at the beginnin gof the nex tone... makes me crazy!

English: all words in -ation become -aiton. Why not in French??? Big mistery. Maybe because of the sound, but that's ridiculous!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 02:30
English to Spanish
One of my best Clients... Mar 3, 2007

Her name is Jill... Why do I always write KILL?????

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rhythm Mar 3, 2007

I always hope I'm able to write the Spanish "ritmo" instead to get across this idea. I have no problem with it in Spanish and Spanish isn't even my native language. Seems odd that I never seem to be able to get it straight in my own language. Sometimes I even have trouble finding this word in an English-language dictionary since my mind gets so muddled trying to think of the correct spelling. I have much better luck with a not too terribly common word which sometimes precedes it: circadian.
... See more
I always hope I'm able to write the Spanish "ritmo" instead to get across this idea. I have no problem with it in Spanish and Spanish isn't even my native language. Seems odd that I never seem to be able to get it straight in my own language. Sometimes I even have trouble finding this word in an English-language dictionary since my mind gets so muddled trying to think of the correct spelling. I have much better luck with a not too terribly common word which sometimes precedes it: circadian.

I'm guilty of typing "Hell" in place of "Hello," too. I just hope I caught it every time. Is that maybe why I never heard back from Translation Agency X?
Collapse

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
porject, my nemesis Mar 3, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

"Copmany", "porject" and "prupose" seem to be among my subconscious favourites - I've even set "autocorrect" to correct them, they happen so often.

For me, it's definitely "porject". Had to set autocorrect, too. And I often skip a certain letter from "public" - I leave the results to your imagination

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 12:30
Arabic to English
+ ...
Bureau Mar 4, 2007

"Bureau" is my worst one. I always tell myself that it goes "boor eee aaa ooo" but never get the spelling right. The spell corrector rarely corrects it to "Bureau". I can never find it in my word speller dictionary because I rarely spell the second character properly and I eventually always end up sticking it in "search" on the net to see some site that spells it correctly. There are many more typos, but that one is my nightmare.

Joyce A
Joyce A  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:30
English to Japanese
+ ...
I had always spelled "weird" weirdly... Mar 5, 2007

I thought that it was supposed to be "wierd."

I'd been spelling it that way for so long that it didn't look weird any more.

I only caught my mistake when I did one of those spelling tests that pop up on the internet. The test helped correct my bad habit.

But now that I've written this, it's all looking weird to me--or is it wierd?

[Edited at 2007-03-05 13:40]

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Letter combination Mar 7, 2007

"oi" instead of "io", for example, "constitutoin" instead of "constitution". Happens that my "o" finger is a bit slower, so I always get caught in this typo.

So that's my dirty secret confessoin...

Julian Wood
Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
Czech to English
+ ...
Birstol Mar 7, 2007

For some reason, I can't even write the name of the city I live in-Bristol
Guess the words we write the most are the ones we take least care over!

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
Also in Spanish Apr 20, 2007

For 15 years I have missed the accent every time I wrote "Adiós", and I never realized until today!!

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
necessary too May 2, 2007

IreneN wrote:

and phsychiatry

rifkind wrote:

Actually, my worst was in college when I starting replacing the word "Hungarian" with "Rumanian", which confused my Hungarian professor who happend to be Hungary in 1956.

From interpreting-related collection (borrowed):

Simo interpreter at the environmental event:
Attention, please! All beavers mentioned in the last 30 minutes shall be considered badgers.

I have problems with double s and/or double c in a word. I tend to invert them.

Necessary, necessity, ... and prefixes, especially succ-
success for instances.

Also with "exitement" for some unknown reason.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your most frequently misspelled word? - Transaltion translatated...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »