Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: What is your most frequently misspelled word? - Transaltion translatated...
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 2, 2007

What is your most frequently misspelled word?

Somehow, I can never type "translation" and "translated" properly... they regularly come out as transaltion, trasnaltion, transalation, translatated, transalted etc.

How many different ways can there be to arrange those few letters?!?

(And of course it usually ends up in delivery mails hurriedly sent a minute past the agreed deadline, "Pls find attached the transalted file")

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Own name Mar 2, 2007

Always when signing my mail I have to be careful not to write Hienrich or Heirnich. But when speaking of normal words I noticed only yesterday, that I had to replace a dozen times "Analge" with "Anlage". With CATs these errors never come alone, always as a whole bunch in the same text.

With Arial font and Finnish words its easy to stumble, so yesterday I had many times "venttili" instead of "venttiili" (Ventil in German).

Cheers
Heinrich
(this time it went well)

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-02 14:29]

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I got to think I suffered from dyslexia Mar 2, 2007

Hi Roberta,

First of all, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my frustration at the fact that I consistently misspell two words: awkward in English and decepción in Spanish.
"Fair enough", I always think, "awkward is a very awkward word and whomever came up with the sequence -wkw- in a word is not a very nice person".
I think the problem is that the words dwell in a rather "distorted" state in my head, because when I type them or write them down, they come out misspelled quite naturally.
I have never ever been able to spell them correctly the first time round.
So, I have my spell checkers in constant alert when I know that the two infamous words are going to appear in a translation.

I hope nobody holds this against me

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Mispelled words Mar 2, 2007

Hi everybody, and welcome on board!

I have a full collection of usually - and almost regularly - mispelled words, starting with my name!
Antonelal instead of Antonella; 'delal' instead of della, 'sulal' instead of 'sulla' etc., to say nothing of 'transaltion' instead of 'translation'.
I do not know why it happens, maybe typing fast on the keyboard is a reason, or a shortcircuit in my brain!

ciao

Antonella

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
sky's the limit since typos R me Mar 2, 2007

but one of the worst I am capable of is the Untied States.

For out and out misspelling, as soon as there is a combination of single and double letters, I have to tread very carefully. English is a language where spelling is something you have to 'know, since phonetically sounding out a word can lead to disaster, which means being tired automatically opens the door to 'sloppy' errors. Happily there are those 'red lines' on the spellcheck feature in Word.

[Edited at 2007-03-02 09:16]

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
bine & plaese Mar 2, 2007

"bine" instead of " bien" in French (meaning "well") causes a big problem as the usual greetings in a mail are "bien cordialement" or "bien à vous" .

and "plaese" instead of "please" in English , again in constant use
"please find attached ...."

The problem is I have set MS word for automatic correction but I have not succeed in setting Thunderbird ( email program) so I have to always double-check every message before sending. Quite time consuming !

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My own name too Mar 2, 2007

Roberta Anderson wrote:
And of course it usually ends up in delivery mails hurriedly sent a minute past the agreed deadline, "Pls find attached the transalted file"

Same here. "Transaltion" and "transalted" occur frequently (but I always catch it and correct it before hitting Send, because I always proof my own e-mails before sending it).

And my name... I often sign my e-mails "Sameul" instead of "Samuel".

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
dead instead of deaf Mar 2, 2007

pretty bad for a translation of a website for people with hearing problems...

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
My favourite is... Mar 2, 2007

..."pulsnate" instead of "pulsante". If you consider that this word appears something like two thousand times in a 300 pages manual...maybe it's time that I put a macro up to automatically fix this (can I?)

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
colleauge and internaitonal Mar 2, 2007

These are the 2 words I can never get right the first time..
colleague and international

I have made a special entry for these 2 words in Word's Autocorrect.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Autocorrect Mar 2, 2007

Gianni Pastore wrote:
maybe it's time that I put a macro up to automatically fix this (can I?)

Hi Gianni,

As I mentioned above, you can use the Autocorrect function if you're using Word. Go to Tools > Autocorrect Options > Replace as you type, then add your favourite words there, and how you want them replaced.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thanks! Mar 2, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:
maybe it's time that I put a macro up to automatically fix this (can I?)

Hi Gianni,

As I mentioned above, you can use the Autocorrect function if you're using Word. Go to Tools > Autocorrect Options > Replace as you type, then add your favourite words there, and how you want them replaced.

But I don't use Word a lot, I am rather the Framemaker/Pagemaker type of guy.
Cheers!
Gianni

xxxGabi Ancarol
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly the same... Mar 2, 2007

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:

Hi everybody, and welcome on board!

I have a full collection of usually - and almost regularly - mispelled words, starting with my name!
Antonelal instead of Antonella; 'delal' instead of della, 'sulal' instead of 'sulla' etc., to say nothing of 'transaltion' instead of 'translation'.
I do not know why it happens, maybe typing fast on the keyboard is a reason, or a shortcircuit in my brain!

ciao

Antonella

I usually have problems with the same words...
By the way, is it Antonella or Antonietta?

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
aps, bine and other French words Mar 2, 2007

Like nordiste : I often write "bine" instead of "bien", "aps" for "pas" (not) and the words ending with "-tation" (and there's a lot of them in French!) often end with "-ttaion" under my fingers
And the "ordinateur" (computer, and I translate a lot of IT stuff) is often an"ordianteur"...

But the list could be long.... beginning with
Sylvian
instead of Sylvain

[Modifié le 2007-03-02 10:23]

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
manger for manager Mar 2, 2007

But also:
form for from

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your most frequently misspelled word? - Transaltion translatated...

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs