https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/67542-porto_portugal%3A_what_to_do_where_to_go.html

Off topic: Porto, Portugal: What to do? Where to go?
Thread poster: Carlos Montilla
Carlos Montilla
Carlos Montilla
Local time: 10:09
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 5, 2007

Hi all,

I'm going to Porto this weekend with some friends and we'd like to have a bit of information about the following:
- places that are a must to visit
- nice restaurants, cafes and bars
- a nice area to hang out at night
- (why not) a place to watch live barça-real madrid on saturday

What to eat? Are there any delicious dishes from Porto or Portugal we have to eat? I'm sure there are...

Thank you everyone for your help!!
... See more
Hi all,

I'm going to Porto this weekend with some friends and we'd like to have a bit of information about the following:

What to eat? Are there any delicious dishes from Porto or Portugal we have to eat? I'm sure there are...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-05 12:26]
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Francesinha!!! Mar 5, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesinha
Must eat it! I miss it so much!! (I lived 1.5 years in Portugal) Of course the port wine...I've been to a very nice bar, but all my stuff is in boxes, so I don't have the map on which I marked the street. It's near a tunnel, on a corner. Very nice guys and good advice and information about the port wine.
Enjoy!!...
See more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesinha
Must eat it! I miss it so much!! (I lived 1.5 years in Portugal) Of course the port wine...I've been to a very nice bar, but all my stuff is in boxes, so I don't have the map on which I marked the street. It's near a tunnel, on a corner. Very nice guys and good advice and information about the port wine.
Enjoy!!
Collapse

Manuel Leite
Manuel Leite  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:09
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Re: Porto, Portugal: What to do? Where to go? Mar 5, 2007

Hi Carlos,

You will find a lot of info (also in spanish) in here:

http://www.portoturismo.pt/es/init/default1.asp

I live just outside Porto, so let me know if you have other questions.

Enjoy your stay,

Manuel

Anne Marie B
Anne Marie B
Canada
Local time: 04:09
English to French
Lello Library a must and la Casa da Musica! Mar 5, 2007

You must go visit that book store. It is amazing architecturally!

There is also La Casa da Musica, newly built by the Dutch architect Rem Koolhas (spelling?). You must visit it inside, it is the second best acoustical concert hall in the world (the other one is in Vienna, Austria, i believe).

There is much more, but i am a little short of time today.

Have a nice trip!

[Modifié le 2007-03-05 21:15]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
beautiful city:-) Mar 5, 2007

Carlos Montilla wrote:

Hi all,

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-05 12:26]

I lived there for a few years, quite a few years ago now, and was back during the Eurocopa........

The most memorable places for me were:

the Ribeira area for night life, just by teh spectacular iron bridge that brings you over to ....

Gaia.....on this opposite shore where the port wine cellars are located, worth visiting at least one....the streets up back around teh different port wine houses are lovely too

the area of Foz (the mouth of the river), lovely narrow (city) beaches, with lovely gardens, terraces, etc.... quite old-worldly

a boat trip on the river .... a great experience, as there are a number of fabulous bridges, among other things

maybe the best of all, a visit to the Port Wine Institute, where they will decant a vintage port for you, and you can drink it in wonderful gardens overlooking the Douro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Porto, Portugal: What to do? Where to go?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »