Mobile menu

Off topic: Jerez de la Frontera
Thread poster: canaria
canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2007

Any suggestions for things to do during a short break in April (before the Horse Fair unfortunately)?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Canaria Mar 7, 2007

For sure you should visit one of the numerous Bodegas in Jerez. I can recommend Tio Pepe, since that´s the one I´ve seen, but I suppose the others are also very interesting. You should, however, check their timetables in advance, since most of them only do tours in the mornings.
Since you seem to be a bit disappointed not to be there during the horse fair I take you like horses. Therefor you certainly should visit the "Real Escuela de Equestre". But once again, check the times in advance. As far as I remember they only do shows twice a week in the mornings. It has to be said that it is a bit on the expensive side of things, but it´s certainly worth it.

All the best, Manuela


Direct link Reply with quote
 
canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Manuela Mar 7, 2007

Manuela Junghans wrote:

For sure you should visit one of the numerous Bodegas in Jerez. I can recommend Tio Pepe, since that´s the one I´ve seen, but I suppose the others are also very interesting. You should, however, check their timetables in advance, since most of them only do tours in the mornings.
Since you seem to be a bit disappointed not to be there during the horse fair I take you like horses. Therefor you certainly should visit the "Real Escuela de Equestre". But once again, check the times in advance. As far as I remember they only do shows twice a week in the mornings. It has to be said that it is a bit on the expensive side of things, but it´s certainly worth it.

All the best, Manuela


I was hoping to visit the bodegas. Strange they only do tours in the mornings though - hangover all afternoon maybe?!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:56
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
A most interesting city Mar 7, 2007

Jerez de la Frontera is a fascinating, old-fashioned Spanish city and well worth visiting. I agree that you should visit a bodega (or two) - I think I went to the one that makes (or used to make) Fino La Ina, which is my favourite sherry, and the escuela equestre, if it's open at a suitable time.
There are several interesting small towns in the area, too, such as El Puerto de Santa María on the Guadalquivir estuary where there are super outdoor seafood joints all along the harbour front. It's even possible to visit the wondrous Coto de Doñana wildlife reserve on the other side of the estuary - by boat and 4-wheel drive. Wear comfortable shoes!
Have a great time.
Kind regards,
Jenny.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jenny Mar 7, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Jerez de la Frontera is a fascinating, old-fashioned Spanish city and well worth visiting. I agree that you should visit a bodega (or two) - I think I went to the one that makes (or used to make) Fino La Ina, which is my favourite sherry, and the escuela equestre, if it's open at a suitable time.
There are several interesting small towns in the area, too, such as El Puerto de Santa María on the Guadalquivir estuary where there are super outdoor seafood joints all along the harbour front. It's even possible to visit the wondrous Coto de Doñana wildlife reserve on the other side of the estuary - by boat and 4-wheel drive. Wear comfortable shoes!
Have a great time.
Kind regards,
Jenny.


The wildlife reserve sounds good. I've heard there are iberian eagles there. Is that right?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Donaña Mar 7, 2007

I think April is a good time to visit the wildlife reserve, since there will be less midges than in summer
Should you plan to visit places outside of Jerez I can certainly recommend Cádiz which is only about half an hours drive away and entirely situated on a headland.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Paula Gallego
Reunion
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cádiz Mar 7, 2007

I'm from Cádiz and I recommend you strongly the city. Is Great!!!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

AnkeSR  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:56
English to German
+ ...
Arcos de la Frontera Mar 8, 2007

Hi,

I am lucky to live on the Costa de la Luz.
I fully agree with what the others have said.
Arcos de la Frontera is also a great place to visit, stroll around the old town, and stand on the visitors platform next to the Parador enjoying amazing views. (careful if you are afraid of heights, there is a massive drop right in front of you)
In Jerez, Cadiz or Puerto, do take the open top tourist bus. I think it is a quick way of getting to know the town. Afterwards you can still go for a long walk and discover things for yourself. But at least you know you have not missed the major attractions.
Enjoy your trip and if you ever want to return to the Costa de la Luz for a longer holiday, I recommend www.vistavejer.com


Direct link Reply with quote
 
canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paula and Anke Mar 8, 2007

AnkeSR wrote:

Hi,

I am lucky to live on the Costa de la Luz.
I fully agree with what the others have said.
Arcos de la Frontera is also a great place to visit, stroll around the old town, and stand on the visitors platform next to the Parador enjoying amazing views. (careful if you are afraid of heights, there is a massive drop right in front of you)
In Jerez, Cadiz or Puerto, do take the open top tourist bus. I think it is a quick way of getting to know the town. Afterwards you can still go for a long walk and discover things for yourself. But at least you know you have not missed the major attractions.
Enjoy your trip and if you ever want to return to the Costa de la Luz for a longer holiday, I recommend www.vistavejer.com


I am really looking forward to my trip. With your help I have made some plans. All I need to do now is find some real flamenco (not necessarily an 'espectaculo', more like the small clubs you get in Madrid) and I will be in heaven!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jerez de la Frontera

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs