Mobile menu

Off topic: Clients not paying attention to the profile availability calendar?
Thread poster: Orla Ryan

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
Mar 7, 2007

(Don't know if this is the right place to post, so feel free to move it)

I love the calendar feature, I really do. However, it seems that no-one pays any attention to it.

Even though I mark days/weeks off as red or unavailable, I keep getting loads of emails and calls from people who find me through Proz asking if I could pleeeeeease help them with various projects due for the next day.

Granted, I have a very hot minority language pair right now. But red means red!

What is the point of keeping the calendar up to date if people don't take heed of it? Grrr...

(ok, rant is over!)

[Edited at 2007-03-07 21:04]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-08 10:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:36
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Red is a risk Mar 7, 2007

Hi Orla,
I dont wanna risk that a direct client does NOT call me because red means red, when he was supposed to offer me a job with a very human deadline (I can choose myself) about a topic I dont wanna miss, e.g. the Irish tea rituals or Dutch church fathers discussing the influence of Father Ted.

There were times when I thought that the calendar was a useful feature regarding agencies or clients. But now I think that 90% of the calendar checkers are just colleagues.
"Just have a look, if Orla is busy. Gosh, everythings's red better I dont ask her if she comes to the powwow..."

Just my impression.
Steffi (in grey)

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
Ah go on Ted! Mar 7, 2007

I suppose I'm spoilt because I'm one of the very few regular Gaelic translators on Proz and even more so because I have Trados. I'm one of the first people you will find online with English and Gaelic. (So, professional Proz membership does pay off!).

I thought the feature would save time for the client - no point ringing someone if they're not available - but when you're fishing in a small pool like Gaelic translation, I guess they have to give it a try.

Fan Gao
Local time: 10:36
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The calendar's a pain! Mar 8, 2007

Hi Orla,
Wow, you're so lucky to be one of the few with a pair in such demand. Long may it last and great success to you:)

Personally I just find the calendar a pain. I honestly don't think anyone takes any notice of it at all when they are contacting you. Even if they do, they probably think, "I'll give it a shot anyway, maybe they can fit me in."

Now I just set every day to "available" once a month, when I notice the little green light has changed to grey. I wish ProZ would just set it to "available" by default and then you could change the settings to the days you're not available if you want to.

I wouldn't bother with it anyway. If I'm not available when contacted, then I would negotiate a possible new deadline and if I really, really wasn't available then I would just turn our email's "out of office" on.

Best wishes,

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:36
It is possible to seach by availability Mar 8, 2007

I can see how a client who reaches your profile might not take not of the availability you indicate. But don't underestimate the feature - by indicating that you are currently available, you make yourself appear when clients search specifically for those who are.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:36
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Small pool - I think that's it Mar 8, 2007

Orla Ryan wrote:

I thought the feature would save time for the client - no point ringing someone if they're not available - but when you're fishing in a small pool like Gaelic translation, I guess they have to give it a try.

I think that's it - they have to try, because who else are they going to get? I get bunches of requests for all sorts of Latvian stuff I don't do - pharmaceutical, medical, you name it. My calendar is also blocked (with my German work), but there are just not that many Latvian translators, particularly in the US.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Time zones --- can local time zones be applied to the calendar? Mar 8, 2007

When a translator changes availablity status from one day to the next, the switch is made at midnight, site time, instead of the local time of the translator.

For example, I'm not usually available on the weekend, but I become available on Monday. However I already show as available on Sunday afternoon/evening by my local time, because it's past midnight Sunday on the site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clients not paying attention to the profile availability calendar?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs