Thread poster: Lorenia de la Vega
Lorenia de la Vega
Lorenia de la Vega  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 8, 2007

I got an email today for a legal training and accreditation course... It said you were to complete a test translation to see if you were accepted, and then you'd complete 24 translation "assignments" (for free?)!

They link to a website on tripod! A serious company who has a site hosted on tripod? The whole thing sounds like a scam to me. What do you think? Has anyone else received an email like this?

[Edited at 2007-03-08 18:04]

Maria Baquero
Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got it Mar 8, 2007

Apparently you have, as you say, to finish 24 assignments (12 into English and 12 into Spanish). If you pass you will be given a professional certificate of completion, which you can file at ATA and be certified in the United States; or, at any translator’s bar association. It would be interesting to know if somebody has completed this course before and share his/her experience with us.

Maria

Lorenia de la Vega
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
International validity... Mar 8, 2007

And apparently, the certificate you get if you "pass" has international validity... And as ATA doesn't interest me much living in Switzerland, it would be very cool to be able to use it for ASTTI. I agree that it would be nice to hear from someone who has completed the course, because if it's legitimate, I think I'd be interested.

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
English to French
+ ...
Contact ATA Mar 8, 2007

Maybe you could contact ATA and see whether they are aware of this programme ?

Based on their answer, you'll know whether the offer is legitimate or not.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
"Like a scam" seems to be a huge understatement Mar 8, 2007

Sounds like The Scam of The Scams to me.

FYI - I haven't received anything like that:-).

Lorenia de la Vega
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea. Mar 8, 2007

I like your idea, Stéphan. It might be best to simply contact ATA and enquire re: this course. It seems like if it's valid, it'd be something interesting to do, but if not, you'd end up doing 24 translations not only FOR FREE, but PAYING for the course!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
There are no free lunches .... Mar 9, 2007

The 24 tests, which you will have to spend quite some valuable time completeing, might be free. But might they mot charge for receiving the actual certificate?

Even if they don't, you might find that the fees for 'postage' etc. are somewhat inflated.

BTW, a professional agency will only expect you to translate in one direction, foreign > native language. So why do they want you to to complete tests in two directions?

As regards the claim that the certific
... See more
The 24 tests, which you will have to spend quite some valuable time completeing, might be free. But might they mot charge for receiving the actual certificate?

Even if they don't, you might find that the fees for 'postage' etc. are somewhat inflated.

BTW, a professional agency will only expect you to translate in one direction, foreign > native language. So why do they want you to to complete tests in two directions?

As regards the claim that the certificate has 'international validity'. AFAIK there is no international standard when it comes to translations. Thus, any such claim is worthless.

As mentioned above, there is no such thing as a free lunch. What is this company/organisation in it for? Somewhere along the line, they will have to find a way of making money. That is, unless they are a bona fide registered charity.

Please keep Irene's "Sounds like The Scam of The Scams to me" at the front of your mind when dealing with this company or any other organisation which offers 'free' products, services, etc.
Collapse

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 15:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
On general principles, Mar 9, 2007

any promotion of this type that you receive without having asked for it is highly suspect. Fortunately, this one is easy to check up on (with ATA), but it does seem most unlikely that they would participate in a scheme that would undermine their own accreditation program.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:24
Catalan to English
+ ...
Speaks for itself Mar 9, 2007

I also received this.

I found it quite amazing that someone evidently incapable of putting together a decent sentence in English, with sloppy wording, awkward grammar, incongruent contractions, unnecessarily repetitive sentences etc... should even dare to suggest that they're capable of teaching me or anyone else anything of the slightest worth.

Let alone the niceties of legal English in all their splendour, and occasional obscurity.....

The person in ques
... See more
I also received this.

I found it quite amazing that someone evidently incapable of putting together a decent sentence in English, with sloppy wording, awkward grammar, incongruent contractions, unnecessarily repetitive sentences etc... should even dare to suggest that they're capable of teaching me or anyone else anything of the slightest worth.

Let alone the niceties of legal English in all their splendour, and occasional obscurity.....

The person in question may well read this thread, as they're a member of ProZ.

She has a CV the length of the Amazon and charges 0.06USD/word.

Need I say more?

Saludos,
Andy

[Edited at 2007-03-09 02:28]
Collapse

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proz.com member/outsourcer Mar 9, 2007

Hi Lorenia,

Today I got the same or similar email. I looked up the company on Google and the person/agency offering the courses is a proz.com member. I've seen her asking or answering kudoz questions, as I recognizer her photo. I didn't check the Blue Board. I hope this information is helpful. Did you ever check with the ATA?

Heather

Patricia Ramirez
Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got it too Mar 10, 2007

It does look fishy...did anyone find out more about it?

Have a good weekend everyone!

Patty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »