Mobile menu

Off topic: Yoga & translation
Thread poster: Raghunathan

Raghunathan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
Member (2006)
German to English
Apr 8, 2007

I want to share with you some interesting observations I made over the last 3 months, i.e. the effect of yoga and breathing exercises on translation.

I have started this 3 months back, only with the objective of increasing the physical activities in lieu of the physicial activities associated with the regular office functions should I opt to quit the office and start operating from home. Since I am taking tablets for diabetes and blood pressure regularly, I thought, yoga will compensate to some extent, the absence of the running around / commuting to-and-fro / work pressure associated with the usual office work to keep the sugar level under control. I spend about one hour in the yoga class from 6 to 7.00 p.m. daily organized by my employer (Moser Baer India). The benefits I derived are:

1) Usually I can do translation of max. 800 to 1000 words after coming back from office and before going to sleep. Now I could do about 1500 quite comfortably as my physical / mental condition takes this load easily.
2) I stopped taking tables for a month and observed that the BP is under control. Blood sugar without tablets hovers around 180 to 200. It is more, but the dosage of tablets is now considerably reduced to bring it within the permissible level. The higher level is mainly due to the sweets I take once in a while that I am unable to control as of now. If control is exercised on this and I increase the diabetic friendly diet in my food, perhaps I can say good-bye to the tablets as well. I am putting effort to achieve this
3) Most importantly, the way I perceive about my general physical / mental condition has improved considerably which impacts favourably on the other personal / official activities.

Our friends may have their own experience with yoga and other physical activities. It would be great if you could share your observations based on your experience for the benefit of all of us.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Yoga has a positive effect Apr 8, 2007

Dear Raghunathan,

You are absolutely right. I've been practising Yoga since I was 6 years old. I was lucky as there was a good Yoga teacher in my school and well, I did manage to do pretty well.

But as a kid, one tends to be lazy etc. At times I didn't feel like doing it. And I left it altogether for almost 3-4 years. And it was then that I actually realised how good Yoga was. I was never obese and had a general good health all my life. I've been a creative writer since I was at school... and all of sudden, I was busy in studies (I know, these are all excuses etc.) so I didn't have time (more excuses) and couldn't practise it. And all of a sudden I started becoming obese... had frequent colds etc. and couldn't concentrate as well as I could earlier.

Call me daft or whatever, but I still didn't want to go back to taking out time for myself...

But last year, I was lucky as someone close to me backed out of an Art of Living Yoga class after paying the fees. So, I almost got sort of stuck into doing it. Couldn't find a way out. and well, I've always enjoyed Yoga and here I was again doing what I used to like doing... and this has had a real positive impact on my life.

Personally, I don't believe in AOL philosophy and at least some things are difficult to accept... And somehow, it looks as if it is actually meant for people who've never done anything serious in their whole life (if you know what I mean) and most groups are like that.

Still, I find it a good motivator. At least, one is forced to take out time (which was my problem) to do some exercise.

And it is really good. And positive.

After 4-5 years I'm back to doing what I used to practise (I've even written one book about it... talk of lazyness).

That's my personal experience and I'm really thankful that these days such things are coming up almost everywhere as otherwise it's difficult to feel motivated all the time.

Best regards,

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Apr 8, 2007

... I've only been doing yoga for six months, but it's definitely made a difference to my posture and general strength. I am also more flexible now and I find that yoga gives my brain a bit of a boost. I guess I do about 3 hours a week and those three hours are mine, in the best way possible (no work, children, telephones...). If I miss a session I feel as if I start getting withdrawal symptoms - my body notices very quickly that it's not being looked after in the same way!

Elisabeth Drumm
Local time: 19:10
English to German
+ ...
Agree Apr 8, 2007

I agree with you all and what you have said about yoga.

I have been doing yoga on and off for about 4 years without taking it very seriously. Then last year I found a group that is meeting twice a week about 5 minutes from my house walking distance - on the beach. It doesn't get any better, and I have been attending religously ever since. I am not very athletic and even a few pounds too heavy, but I can really tell the improvements I have made over the last 12 months. And I do notice it right away - something is missing and off balance - when I cannot attend a class.

Yoga is very subtle but has a major impact on one's entire well-being - mentally and physically. I regard it as essential for people like us who spend a lot of time in front of a computer doing brainwork. I can't recommend it enough.

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Second health insurance Apr 10, 2007

I've been practising yoga for about 15 years now and it works as a cure for all sorts of physical discomfort, because it gives a deep mental rest that nothing else can give you. When I had little money, I didn't give up my classes, as I regard them as a kind of second health insurance - probably even more important than the normal insurance I have.

I have to travel about an hour to get to my yoga class, but I don't mind in the least. Sometimes I travel back feeling as relaxed as if I've had a whole week vacation. My teacher is very good, and has been doing this all his life, studying with several teachers in India.

Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks to your comments I'll try it again :-) Apr 10, 2007

For a long time I was told I should try some yoga, that it helped you to deal with stress, helped you to learn how to breathe and relax, and so many other benefits.

A year ago I finally tried it. I took a summer class with a very good teacher who had spent half of her life I think in India learning this art with really great teachers, and I really enjoyed it. It was just two hours once a week, but I felt good at the end of the class. Unfortunately, when the summer class was over and tried to take the following course it was already full and then time passed by, I got absorbed into other things and never went back.

But reading your comments have made me remember how well I felt during those 3 months (and I know 3 months is nothing compared to all the years you say you've been practising it and all the benefits you get from it) and I think I'll go back, if not with the same teacher, then I'll find someone else, but I want/need to feel good and relaxed and happy with myself, and I guess that's part of the many benefits yoga can give you, right?
I already feel good just by making this decision
Thanks for sharing!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yoga & translation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs