Mobile menu

Off topic: Exorbitant costs - EU translation costs vs. cost of expansion
Thread poster: Jacek Krankowski
Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2002

We all know that EU spends a lot of money on translations because of its 11 official languages. How much is \"a lot\"? The answer is: 2 (two) euros per each EU citizen a year, including interpreting.

The current EU enlargement is set to cost each EU citizen almost 25 euros a year for the next 3 years. That\'s 12 times more than the current cost of all the translations! Some say they already cannot afford to hire all those 2-euro-a-year translators/interpreters. Can they afford the 25-euro-a-year enlargement?

Over 12.4 billion dollars were transferred to Western Europe under the Economic Recovery Program known as the \"Marshall Plan.\"

Direct link Reply with quote

anglista
Local time: 20:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Let 's go Esperanto then! Dec 13, 2002

Why not make Esperanto an official language then? I mean, in the EU as well. This would let us cut the costs of translation enormously.

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to anglista Dec 13, 2002

I understand the patriotism (Esperanto was invented by a Polish Jewish eye doctor, Zamenhof, in 1887), but apparently the proposal is not quite new, although I do not know what to make of the following:

The European Parliament,

1. requests the Commission to realise an experiment within the whole of the countries of the Union, to accelerate the learning of foreign languages through the study of a planned language such as Esperanto;

2. requests the Commission to realise a study on the introduction of the teaching of a planned language such as Esperanto as second or third language, there where the regional or minority language is taught as first language and the national or official language as second language, in all the primary and secondary schools of the EU;

3. entrusts its general secretariat to realise a study on the feasibility and economic and financial implications of the introduction of a planned language, such as Esperanto, as bridge language and legal reference language in the translation and interpretation system, anticipating especially the experimental use of Esperanto as bridge language for interpretation;

http://www.radicalparty.org/esperanto/annx_esp2.htm

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-13 14:02 ]

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
English to Italian
+ ...
One language to communicate Dec 13, 2002

My personal opinion is that - as much as we value and are committed to preserve country indentities - we should have \'money matters\' in mind.

In a world with huge discrepancies which literally affect the life of people (i.e. differences in health policies, education...), couldn\'t we take a courageaus decision and decide that English can be the \'lingua franca\' used to communicate inside the EU while each country should translate each EU regulation, standard etc... into its own language? This way the economic weight of translation would be borne by each country (but for the specific language pair only).

I do not want to make anyone of you angry or whatever, I just abhor waste of money.

Ciao.

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All things considered, I prefer English to Esperanto Dec 13, 2002

If you look at my language pairs, you will understand why. Second, with all due respect, I suspect that problems Esperanto may have with Eurospeak may be comparable to those we would have when trying to translate the following into Latin:

There exists some ambiguity in the lender-of-last-resort procedures in EMU, which the European Central Bank should resolve by instituting a hierarchy. The ECB would be a useful entity to constrain the use of lender-of-last-resort and bank rescue operations at the national level and to create a more level playing field for European banking and financial institutions in this domain....

No institution is currently in charge of aggregating and monitoring exposures in European financial markets on a systematic basis. The emerging market crisis suddenly revealed that the exposure of European banks to emerging markets was more than three times greater than that of North American banks. In response to stronger market integration and interdependence in EMU, the European Council should consider the creation of a European observatory for systemic risk. Its function would be to introduce common supervisory and transparency standards, to monitor market developments across Europe and to alert national and European authorities to exposures with a potentially systemic impact.

http://www.europarl.eu.int/workingpapers/econ/102ensum_en.htm

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: 25 euros/yr. Dec 20, 2002

I do not know where Agence France Press took that figure. After the Copenhagen summit, Polish press talked about less than a half of that, i.e. the Fifteen contributing to the enlargement during the years 2004-2006 approx. EUR 11.5 billion net. If we could call this a Marshall Plan bis, better 60 years late than never!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exorbitant costs - EU translation costs vs. cost of expansion

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs