Mobile menu

Off topic: Etymology of "nosferatu"
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 03:34
Italian to English
Apr 18, 2007

This is a common misinterpretation of the word "nosferatu" among translators and language experts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
So what is yours? Apr 18, 2007

At least I corrected Wisborg into Wismar and ridiculed the statement about Stoker's lawsuit against Murnau (10 years afer Stoker's death).

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:34
English to German
+ ...
Good point, Heinrich Apr 18, 2007

it is always easy to say something is "wrong", without any further explanation or a suggestion of what would be closer to "right".

So lingomania, please explain what this posting is about.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-04-18 14:02]

lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dissertation Apr 18, 2007

Mine was only a non-lengthy dissertation on the etymology of that word. In fact, I did post a link as reference.

Robert

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:34
English to French
+ ...
I think this is the interest in the above link Apr 20, 2007

Quote:

The original meaning of the word nosferatu is difficult to determine. There is no doubt that it achieved popular currency through Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula, and Stoker identified his source for the term as the 19th-century British author and speaker Emily Gerard. Gerard introduced the word into print in a book chapter ("Transylvanian Superstitions"; published 1885) and in her travelogue The Land Beyond the Forest (1888) (Transylvania's English translation).

The word itself does not mean "the undead" or "vampire", as is popularly thought. Theories regarding its etymology link it either to the Greek nosophoros (νοσοφορος; "plague-carrier"), or the Romanian nesuferitul ("the insufferable one").

End quote

I am sure it can be explained. They shouldn't have to look so far - nosferatu sounds very Romanian to me. Since vampires come from Transylvania... 2 + 2 = ?

Of course, if someone has a better or more complete explanation, please do post.

[Edited at 2007-04-20 07:15]

lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Closest etymology Apr 20, 2007

Quote: the Romanian nesuferitul ("the insufferable one")
End quote

This sounds like the closest origin, then perhaps through the ages, 'unsufferable' became synonymous with 'evil'.

[Edited at 2007-04-20 14:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Etymology of "nosferatu"

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs