Mobile menu

Off topic: Would you like to send a message to the future?
Thread poster: Gabriela Tenenbaum
Gabriela Tenenbaum  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2002

By the end of the year 2005, a satellite called KEO will be launched into space. It will be returning to earth around 50,000 years later with a special load in it: a collection of messages from us to our great grand grand grand children

It\'s called a \"collective work of art that welcomes everybody. Elected as \"Project of the 21st century\" by UNESCO and supported by the European spatial industry\".

The purpose is to tell the people of tomorrow about our wishes, dreams and also about our mistakes. I\'ve personally written an apologetic message for our devastating tendency to destroy our nature

If you\'d like to participate in the project (for free), please enter:

www.keo.org

It welcomes everybody and the site offers an English, a French and a Spanish version.

Isn\'t it interesting to share our feelings with the \"real future\"?

Hugs to all,

Gaby

Direct link Reply with quote

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:37
English to German
+ ...
Very optimistic project Dec 18, 2002

Unless cockroaches learn to read I don\'t think there will be anybody there to receive your message about how we destroyed this planet.

Sorry about this gloomy reply but that\'s how I see it.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Gaby Dec 18, 2002

I believe that there will be some humans left, but maybe not on earth as we know it today...

We do treat the earth badly (and we also treat each other badly!) but I think that humans will survive one way or another, and most likely in space (Ok, I am a Star Trek fan - I admit it!)

Thank you for telling us about this site Gaby, I will also take the time to write.

I am an eternal optimist about the future.

May the human race live long and prosper...

Nath

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-18 03:32 ]

Gabriela Tenenbaum  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cockroaches... Dec 20, 2002

Perhaps you\'re right, Olaf.

Anyway, I didn\'t mean there would be human beings as we conceive them. I was thinking of some kind of living thing. ANY kind of living being.

I hope there will be SOMEBODY here to read (or decipher) our messegaes...

Why not?

Thanks Nath! I do too think we should be optimistic.

Have a nice weekend everybody,

Gaby

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:37
English to German
+ ...
Maybe we should just try to save the planet Dec 21, 2002

That was the idea behind my posting. Nathalie\'s scenario is even more horrifying. It conjured up an image in my head of the last survivors fighting to get into the spaceships, since there wouldn\'t be enough room for everybody and money wouldn\'t buy you a place. Only the strongest survive? Where do they go?

There is no reason why the human race shouldn\'t survive but we have to stop leaving life-and-death decisions to imbeciles.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I had a slightly different image in my head... Dec 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-21 02:52, OlafK wrote:

That was the idea behind my posting. Nathalie\'s scenario is even more horrifying. It conjured up an image in my head of the last survivors fighting to get into the spaceships, since there wouldn\'t be enough room for everybody and money wouldn\'t buy you a place. Only the strongest survive? Where do they go?

There is no reason why the human race shouldn\'t survive but we have to stop leaving life-and-death decisions to imbeciles.

Hi Olaf,

I had a different image in my head when I wrote my post (above):

I saw the human race evolving out of necessity (as in Star Trek) out into space to explore and discover new worlds... Not to try to escape a doomed world (earth).

Except that in Star Trek, the earth has become an even more beautiful & peaceful place to be...from being so close to total destruction (which is where we are coming to it seems) to turning things around and *respecting* earth and the people of all nations.

Whereas in our current reality, we really do not respect the earth - nor each other (at least not at the level that we should!), and I totally agree with you that we have to stop leaving life-and-death decisions to imbeciles... because if we keep this up, then your scenario may very well play out.

If we all put our hands and minds together, each of us in our daily decisions and \"actions\" can turn things around.

We can\'t just sit back and wish upon a star, each of us has to stand up and take action:

Carpe diem earthlings.... Carpe diem....

Nath

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:37
English
+ ...
Hey Gang! Let's ALL Get In On This! Dec 26, 2002

This\'ll make heaps of translation work for us all a few incarnations down the line!

Nora Escoms  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
50,000 years!!! Jan 2, 2003

Hola, Gaby, interesting posting.

Just this afternoon I watched The Matrix (again!!) and the story takes place \"only\" a few hundred years from now... Who knows what this world will be like in 50,000 years? When I think of how much the human species has evolved in that time (and much more so in the last 100 years!) I can\'t even begin to look that far ahead. Our minds don\'t work on such a large time scale.

Anyway, supposing there will still be humans living on earth in 50,000 years\' time, I guess they will surely know about us MUCH more than we do about our predecessors back in the early stages of our history. I mean, we\'re already leaving a lot more information than they did, don\'t you think? So I wonder how interested they would be in a bunch of messages from THEIR predecessors.

But assuming they may be interested, sending a message to them might force us to have a fresh look at ourselves. I mean, one thing is to talk about our everyday life, about politics, about what each of us thinks should be done to improve the economy or whatever you like, either with friends or family or in a forum such as this one. But writing a message for future humans(?), who won\'t be there to ask for clarification or discuss our ideas, might make us focus on what\'s REALLY important to us and try harder to say what we really mean, leaving out the \"noise\", if you know what I mean. So perhaps it\'s worth a try, if only as an exercise for ourselves, wouldn\'t it?

Happy New Year to all of you out there!

Nora

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Great stuff, Gaby! Jan 10, 2003

Gaby,

thanks!

I\'ve just bookmarked the site.

I might also make a sugestion to the creators of the site: include at least Chinese and Hindi -yeah, well, it\'s mainly Europe-oriented but who knows which will be the main languages even 300 years from now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you like to send a message to the future?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs