Off topic: Reality TV show featuring translators/interpreters
Thread poster: John Cutler

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2007

This is obviously meant as one of those Friday afternoon, off-the-cuff, off-topic subjects.

What do you think would be a good format for a reality show with translators and interpreters as the “stars”? Would it be an oddly matched bunch of translators/interpreters stuck together in a house they can’t leave or maybe they’d be left on a deserted island where they’d be at each other’s throats after a few days, or maybe something original? This is a chance to brainstorm and come up with the format for the show. (No debates about the pros/cons, quality, etc. of reality TV, please)
Propose your idea and let your good humour, imagination and creativity loose!

Direct link Reply with quote

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Kind of "Amazing Race" Apr 27, 2007

I think it should have a format like "The Amazing Race", after all, the world is our playground, isn't it?

So I imagine a group of translators/interpreters doing all kinds of language-related quests like...

"Lobby your very interesting and dearly needed international development project through the EU bureaucracy"

"Talk yourself out of a bribing attempt by a police officer"

...or something like that...

[Edited at 2007-04-27 15:34]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good start Apr 27, 2007

That's a good start. I forgot to mention, we should also throw in a few clients, PMs, etc.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Internet Connection Apr 27, 2007

Well, why not one without any internet connection

Anyways, if you have internet, everyone would be working and who'd like to see people working day in and day out...

So NO INTERNET CONNECTION.

What do you think?

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reality or horror? Apr 27, 2007

I don't know if it would be a reality show or a horror film Imagine all the translators going through withdrawal symptoms the first few days!!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Drama Apr 27, 2007

At least that would bring in some drama

Otherwise, everyone would be sitting quietly, working.

It's normal for us to be in a house that we can't leave. Isn't it?

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
French to English
Interpreters Apr 27, 2007

Right now I think the most compelling viewing would be of interpreters in hot zones like Baghdad (where they have to cover their faces so as not to be recognized).

Or how about following an interpreter who is on an assignment with a traveling president? That would be interesting, getting their comments behind the scenes because of course they're not supposed to have any viewpoints on the situations they're in.

Or going behind the scenes at the UN and seeing how things really work (as opposed to the view we get from movies like The Interpreter!).

Problem is, all three of these ideas involve giant security issues. But boy, I'd watch it.

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Working for the reality side and getting paid for the horror... Apr 28, 2007

I would give some really challenging translation job (an inter-related one, to force them to agree about terminology issues), with internet connection provided, making available to the public the list of sites searched/accessed... and would let them stay only if they manage to get paid within certain deadlines...

[Módosítva: 2007-04-28 05:43]

lingomania
Local time: 02:30
Italian to English
Oh no May 23, 2007

Oh my gosh. Haven't we had enough of reality shows already? I suppose I can't stand them, but come on folks. If I were ever asked (hopefully never) to take part in a RS as a translator/interpreter, I'd say no thanks kindly and rapidly go off and accept the toughest telephone interpreting job I could find out there.....you know, just to be more productive. What scares me the most (and many of my friends and colleagues) is that there are people out there who believe the participants in those shows are REAL. I say, wake up, they're only paid actors doing their jobs. How can people not note that they are doing the same "job" as the actors in 'regular' movies.

Robert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reality TV show featuring translators/interpreters

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs