Mobile menu

Off topic: Someone located near Maidenhead, Berkshire?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 5, 2007

And could recommend me a B&B or a hotel located not far away from there. To be quite exact - I have to go to SDL headquarters in Maidenhead.
What I'm looking for is a room with bathroom. I will most probably have a car, so neighbour cities or west location in London could also be interesting.

Thank you for any help
Best regards
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
list of nearby B&Bs May 5, 2007

Hi Jerzy

I visited SDL a few years ago, and they had supplied me with a list of B&Bs.

I'll send it to you via email

cheers,
Roberta

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Consider central London May 5, 2007

I am British but I have lived abroad for some time so the information I am giving may be out of date by now. I recall that accomodation in well-off parts of the home counties (such as Maidenhead) was a lot more expensive than central London, and this is probably still the case. If you go to Belgrave Square close to Victoria station in London, you will find dozens of budget hotels in that area. It is very easy to get from London to Maidenhead by train. If you are arriving at Heathrow airport, there are a few budget hotels near Hounslow Central underground station, which is three stations away from Heathrow on the underground.
As I said, I would do some homework and check that this information still applies.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 5, 2007

I would gladly consider London as an alternative.
Unfortunately my knowledge of this big city is very limited.
Would you please tell me which parts of the city I shall look for, if I want to be near to its west end?
I remember Paddington beeing a good location for hotels and near to a railway line.
OTOH I will most probably not use rail, but rent a car.
I arrive in Luton and have to go from there to Maidenhead.

Best
Jerzy

Deschant
Local time: 20:30
Paddington May 5, 2007

There are a lot of budget hotels and bed&breakfasts near Paddington, and trains from London to Maidenhead depart from Paddington, so I guess this would be your best bet. By the way, to drive in central London (and this includes Paddington AFAIK) you have to pay a "congestion tax" which is about 10 pounds a day I think (more information in http://www.cclondon.com/index.shtml). So that's another thing to worry about if you choose to stay in central London.

LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Near the company May 6, 2007

I would find a B&B near SDL, if I were you. The traffic around London can be a nightmare and is very unpredictable.

Laura Lucardini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Stay nearby May 6, 2007

I live near Maidenhead, and suggest you stay in Maidenhead or one of the neaby villages. As Lucia was saying, you don't want to spend too much time commuting, especially to and from London.

You might find this link useful:

http://www.maidenhead.net/accommodation/

Good luck!

Nearby nice villages/towns (since you'll have a car) are Bray (very small but very pictoresque and quiet) and Windsor (great if you'll have time for some sightseeing/shopping and a little bit of wine&dine!).

[Edited at 2007-05-06 10:22]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - I think I found what I was looking for May 6, 2007

http://www.raycornerguesthouse.co.uk/
Not far from SDL HQ and with acceptable price.

Now only the question of car rental remains...
Is it better to book upfront from Germany or do so at Luton Airport?

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone located near Maidenhead, Berkshire?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs