Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 11, 2007

Dear Canadian friends,

I'm trying to find some information on visa requirements for people to want to move to Canada to set up their own business.

I've done research on setting up the business side of things and that appears to be quite straight forward, but it's the visa implications I'm having trouble establishing.

I'm British and I don't need a visa if I stay within 90 days. Obviously I'll want to stay longer than 90 days so I will need a visa. Chinese people need some form of visa to go anywhere in the world, full-stop.

There are work visas, but they appear to be more for people who have received an offer from a company already in Canada and obviously that isn't what we're after either because we just want to go there and then set up the business.

We don't want to go down the path of immigrating because that's complicated and takes ages and we're not even sure if we will stay longer than 2 or 3 years, who knows.

Was anyone in this position before they moved to Canada?

Any information or advice or any pointers in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mark

Update: I think we may qualify for the "Business Immigration Program" under self-employed persons because translators and translation are classified as "cultural activities". I'm not sure what else this involves though or how long the process takes.

[Edited at 2007-05-11 14:45]

Direct link Reply with quote

JennyC08
Local time: 17:26
German to French
+ ...
Working Holiday Program May 11, 2007

Hi,
Depending on your age (18-35 years old), you can have access to a program called Working holiday program. This open visa allows you to come to Canada for a year to discover the country, work or travel.
You can find more information here:
http://www.international.gc.ca/123go/descriptions-en.asp

Good luck!

Caroline

Fan Gao
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm too old:( May 12, 2007

Hi Caroline,
Thanks for replying. I think they must have changed it because it's 18 to 30 now and I'm just a tiny, ok a bit more than tiny, bit older than 30. It may be a way for Fan Gao to apply though.
Many thanks,
Mark

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:26
English to French
+ ...
Immigrating to Canada as a Self-Employed Person May 12, 2007

I think that in your situation, you fulfill the conditions required for this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/self-1.html

I didn't know this was possible until I looked it up for you today. This is good news for people who are self-employed and want to come to Canada. This leads to becoming a permanent resident as soon as you land here. However, if all goes well, it will take about two years from the time of application (pretty straightforward and simple) to find out if you have been accepted.

You may also want to take a look at this page, more general: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/index.html

You also may want to explore the Temporary Resident Visa. I know this is way too short term, but then again, as the following page suggests, once you are in Canada, you can change your status, and I seriously doubt they would make you wait for two years before examining your file. It would basically come down to making a trip to Canada to find out whether this is a place you would like to live at and whether you have a good market here for your occupation, and within the term of your temporary visa, if you are satisfied, you can then apply for permanent residency inside. Another reason why I think this would be faster is that your application would be processed by local authorities as opposed to applying from abroad. All the info can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html

Good luck!

Edit: you may want to look at Provincial Nomination or Quebec-Selected Immigration also (it seems you can apply with a province since the federal government will let provinces "invite" people who correspond to the kind of people they need). You will still need to apply with the federal government, but the province can give you a boost for your application (maybe they can help to speed it up). For Quebec, you can even complete an online evaluation to find out if you correspond to the profile they are looking for. To me, it looks like they will accept anybody as long as they have higher-level education and speak one of the two official languages at an acceptable level (I believe you already satisfy to these conditions).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

I also think that having a British passport may be a lot of help. If you are a British citizen, I am sure they will just *lurv* you

[Edited at 2007-05-12 19:24]

Fan Gao
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 13, 2007

Hi Viktoria,
Thank you for taking the time to reply, the links you provided were really helpful. I think whichever route we end up taking, it's going to take quite a while, but even if it begins with a short trip then the best thing we can do to start with is visit Canada for as long as we can to get a feel for the place and make sure that it is right for us.
Thanks again,
Mark

paulpaquette
English
canadian immigration Jun 23, 2007

hi, my name is Paul. I am canadian and my girlfriend is chinese. we want to get married, and at this time we are debating where would be the best place to do so, here in canada or in china. from what i hear, doing it in china would be the best way since she is having trouble getting her canadian visa at this time. being canadian, i have no trouble getting a chinese visa. it's easier for a chinese woman married to a canadian to obtain a canadian visa is it not?
any input is much appreciated.
thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relocating to Canada - Visa Information

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs