Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Favourite and unfavourite films of all time?
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 18, 2007

This is for film buffs.
What are your favourite and unfavourite films of all time?
There are so many to choose from, but my favourites include Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, The Misfits (all directed by Billy Wilder, I think) and Casablanca.
My loathed unfavourites include The Sound of Music, L'Année Dernière à Marienbad and Brief Encounter.
Regards,
Jenny.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
French to English
Fun topic! May 18, 2007

There are lots of films considered to be classics that I find just lugubrious. Maybe they were relevant at one time, but... and one of those is Last Year at Marienbad! Also Hiroshima Mon Amour.

My very favorite film ever is Baraka. I just can't think of another that I like better or could watch more times. I would also have to put Russian Ark way up there.

Other than that, I am a huge fan of animated shorts from all over the world, and try to attend any animation festival I can.

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Favorits: Breaking the Waves (and others) by Lars von Trier, the besr director ever May 18, 2007

Unfavorites: there is a lot of trash, but in generally I don't like films, which beautify and play down the violence like 300 or Pulp Fiction

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Favourite May 18, 2007

Favourite:
The Beast
More information at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_(1988_film)

I usually do not like films that make fun of others in an unkind way like Borat.

I loved Pulp Fiction though. I think you are wrong Erika, it does not play down violence. It shows how much we accept violence in our society without questioning it.

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
If you find beutiful images to show killing people, so May 18, 2007

you are playing down, the thread of these images on maybe just growing minds, young people. Violence can not be nice. But this is not the topic of this thread.

ozan karakış
Turkey
Local time: 21:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
Papillon May 18, 2007

I watched Papillon 4-5 times and can watch again and again...

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Ninotchka, Libeled Lady, Jules et Jim, La Nuit américaine, Nine to Five, Johnny Got His Gun, May 18, 2007

Oh! What a Lovely War! ... and lots of others.
Dislikes: Include ANY film that includes Victor Mature, Charleton Heston or Barbara Stanwyk in the cast.
Worst film I ever saw: the remake of Goodbye Mr Chips with Petula Clark.

[Edited at 2007-05-18 11:53]

Melzie
French to English
+ ...
Tim Burton May 18, 2007

really is my favorite director and I'm a sucker for fantisy fiction.
Got a dvd for my birthday and I would say this is the one NOT to watch - Grease 2. it's even worse than 'so bad it's good'

ST Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
films May 18, 2007

You have got good taste Jenny - Some Like it Hot is a classic. The Seven Year Itch is also a funny Monroe film - the lead male character in particular. My favourite comedy is The Party with Peter Sellars - hilarious! I don't like any films that have sad endings or which involve animal cruelty!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Citizen Kane (English), Amanush (Hindi), Anand (Hindi), La vie est belle (French) May 18, 2007

For different reasons... I guess many people here would be familiar with Citizen Kane and La vie est belle. So I'll just talk about Amanush and Anand.

Uttam Kumar ( http://upperstall.com/people/uttamkumar.html ) in Amanush has really done justice to the film. And he's not the only attraction of the film. Everything about this film makes you want to see it again and again http://musicmazaa.com/hindi/audiosongs/movie/Amanush.html?feed

And Anand, I guess many Indians would have seen this film umpteen number of times... just to hear Rajesh Khanna say "Babu moshai"... story of a man who's about to die and is still so full of life. http://www.upperstall.com/films/anand.html

Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I hated Borat! May 18, 2007

It was the first time in my life that I walked away from a movie after just watching it for 15 minutes. What a buffoon.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Big Deal on Madonna Street May 18, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Deal_on_Madonna_Street
Saw it only once, but I'm longing for it.

Others that spring to mind are Goldrush, 2001, Der Himmel über Berlin.
Cheers
Heinrich

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:55
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
King of Hearts / Le Roi du Coeur May 18, 2007

This is my favourite film of all time - I have seen it 3 or 4 times.

It was directed by Philippe de Broca and stars Alan Bates as a Scottish soldier who is sent to disarm a bomb in a small town in France. When he enters the town, he accidentally leaves the door to the insane asylum open while being chased by the Germans. When the Germans have left the town, the inmates leave the asylum and take over the town. They coronate the soldier King of Hearts in a festive ceremony while he frantically tries to find the bomb before it goes off. The film ends with the question of who is more insane, the asylum inmates or the soldiers on the battlefield.

[Edited at 2007-05-18 13:18]

[Edited at 2007-05-18 16:15]

Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Erika May 18, 2007

I hate any film showing violence, like for instance Silence of the Lambs or Pulp Fiction which I couldn't finish watching. I may stand lighter films like Terminator, but that is my limit.

On the other hand what I prefer is romance films such us: Pretty Woman, Notting Hill, Sense and Sensibility and many other films starring Hugh Grant.

Good weekend to everybody,
Marianela

Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Too Many to List Here... May 18, 2007

But just for kicks I'll mention a few that come to mind.

Big Night--I live in Italy and love food...enough said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Night

And then there are two in particular from one of my favorite movie genres, the "mockumentary".

This is Spinal Tap, which I'm sure most everyone has heard of if not seen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_is_Spinal_Tap

and

A Mighty Wind, another creation by the talented, and perhaps slightly insane, Christopher Guest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mighty_Wind

I do have to admit, that as stupid as they may be, the Austin Powers films always make me laugh, and I also love Shrek and Shrek II for the great moral lessons they teach to children (and hopefully adults as well).

I could go on and on.

Thanks for the fun topic Jenny!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Favourite and unfavourite films of all time?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs