Thread poster: biankonera
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:50
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Best and worst May 28, 2007

Not wanting to be tendencious at all, the BEST is TAP Air Portugal.

The worst I travelled with was Easyjet... (This proves this is a very relative topic...).

Last year my son was 3-month old and we travelled to Switzerland with Easyjet. I had no help from the plane staff, no priority fo having a little baby, I had to ask how I travelled securely with him, they gave me an extra belt and didn't explain how it worked (I had to ask), I ghad already been instructed on how to
... See more
Not wanting to be tendencious at all, the BEST is TAP Air Portugal.

The worst I travelled with was Easyjet... (This proves this is a very relative topic...).

Last year my son was 3-month old and we travelled to Switzerland with Easyjet. I had no help from the plane staff, no priority fo having a little baby, I had to ask how I travelled securely with him, they gave me an extra belt and didn't explain how it worked (I had to ask), I ghad already been instructed on how to proceed with take off and landing with my son and had a bottle with milk with me for him. We waited more than 1 hour inside the plane because they had a technical problem. When we arrived in Geneva I didn't have my son's stroller at the plane's exit, as I was told would. As it is a low-cost company, they land the plane very far from the airport. I walked about 1 km at Geneva's airport with my baby in my arms (who weighted by the time about 7 kg), his bag and my wallet. When I arrived at the passport control I claimed my priority, of course. I was really fed up!

When I returned from my holidays there was a misunderstanding with the Easyjet flight and I had to buy a ticket in TAP Air Portugal (the other company that flew to Portugal that day some hours later and with which I am used to travel). I had a VIP treatment even in economic class. They helped me out with my son, with all the things I had with me, and when I got out of the plane my son's stroller was waiting for us.

Never again with Easyjet! I prefer to pay a bit more...
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Best airline May 28, 2007

"FedEx" in the days when jumpseat was still available. If you were lucky and it was friendly captain, you sat in the cockpit during take-off and landing or flying over the Pacific and the North-Pole. When going back in time from Hong-Kong to Anchorage, Alaska, you only live twice. Weird feeling, going back in time. The difficulty was explaining check-in employees that you did not have a ticket, just a badge and that sometimes, you were the only passenger.
Austrian Airlines (gave a hefty
... See more
"FedEx" in the days when jumpseat was still available. If you were lucky and it was friendly captain, you sat in the cockpit during take-off and landing or flying over the Pacific and the North-Pole. When going back in time from Hong-Kong to Anchorage, Alaska, you only live twice. Weird feeling, going back in time. The difficulty was explaining check-in employees that you did not have a ticket, just a badge and that sometimes, you were the only passenger.
Austrian Airlines (gave a hefty airline discount). Nice flight from Vienna to Beijing and back in business-class for 400 euros.--
Flying around the world has taught me not to be too picky.
“The airplane you are talking about, does not exist”. Here you are in a transit-zone, with your visa-card empty, your visa expired, your bag full of costumes and Thai Silk and a policeman who does not want to let you go the plane of which your are the only passenger. Fortunately, an angry captain wired to the check-in agent.
Oh, we are sorry. Happy New-Year (1996) in Odessa (where upon arrival, it took 2 hours to advance 50 metres), but your airplane is not coming. Too much snow and frost.
You have airline discount, so you can't go with the others to the hotel used by Austrian Airlines. Find yourself a place to sleep and come back in two days. With no knowledge of Russian and,an expired visa, I found a Soviet-style hotel with dust on the window-sill, no toilet-seat or toilet paper.
Whoever has passed through Sjermetjevo when arriving in Moscow must not be used to the customer-service of Western Airports either. One hour to advance 200 metres.
So, when three years ago, due to fog Ryanair decided to cancel all its flights at Gatwick, I for one was not upset any longer. What's another night at the airport or a couple of hours of delay if they tell you in Odessa that perhaps your plane will come, but then again it might not come.
The worst airline : I have learnt to enjoy flying through turbulence (ex-Flying Tigers). As long as the planes remain at 33.000 ft, I am not too picky.

[Edited at 2007-05-28 13:00]
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Writing from the other side of the world... May 28, 2007

Well, I suppose it's because of the time of day...

In the American continent

I would like to speak in favor of Copa:

they still feed you, personnel is really nice, seats are ok, and the transfer in Panama is wonderful: small airport; you don't have to go through migration, pick up you luggage or go trough customs; all the transfer flights are coordinated so the chance of missing your connect
... See more
Well, I suppose it's because of the time of day...

In the American continent

I would like to speak in favor of Copa:

they still feed you, personnel is really nice, seats are ok, and the transfer in Panama is wonderful: small airport; you don't have to go through migration, pick up you luggage or go trough customs; all the transfer flights are coordinated so the chance of missing your connection is almost nonexistent because unless your flight is terribly late the next flight waits for you... So if you are flying to or from South America to North America this is really a wonderful option.

Also, usually it is the best price and if you are flying with miles you need fewer miles to fly or even upgrade...
Collapse

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
good and bad May 28, 2007

Good airlines:
KLM
British Air
Lufthansa
Thai Airways (great food and service. everyone got a live orchid on leaving the plane)

Absolutely worst:
Aer Lingus (Ireland) - Just flew them 2 week ago. Very liitle food and bad service. This airline tries to squeeze every penny from its passengers. They even charge for water (2 euros per bottle) on a transatlantic flight.

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
personally: May 28, 2007

best:
KLM

Worst:
AirMadrid (36-hour delay)

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Low cost airlines May 28, 2007

Well, I've travelled a few times in some low-cost airlines and it was a very pleasant surprise.

So here are the winners:

Air Deccan (Indian):

Low cost, free-seating, but really friendly and helpful staff. Even food and beverages sold during the flight are not at all expensive. OK, they don't serve proper lunch/ breakfast but all that they sell is good quality food. Not some cheap stuff. Agreed they are not catered by The Taj. But Cafe Coffee Day is no
... See more
Well, I've travelled a few times in some low-cost airlines and it was a very pleasant surprise.

So here are the winners:

Air Deccan (Indian):

Low cost, free-seating, but really friendly and helpful staff. Even food and beverages sold during the flight are not at all expensive. OK, they don't serve proper lunch/ breakfast but all that they sell is good quality food. Not some cheap stuff. Agreed they are not catered by The Taj. But Cafe Coffee Day is not that bad either.

Uzbekistan Airlines (International):

Travelled to France, like many other students, when I was still a student. I'd heard horror stories about ex-USSR Airlines. And I was told that there were thieves running around and all sorts of things. My stop-over at Tashkent was really nice. In fact, it made me want to visit the city... And trip was also nice (at least I had something to eat unlike Air France)

Strange but I've never had any bad-experience with any low-cost airline (touch-wood).
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Indian Airlines May 28, 2007

My experience was really nice.

It is true that they don't have very young girls in minis working as air-hostess. And seriously, I don't travel to see beautiful faces.

But I really liked the way they greeted and food was nice.

Of course, it is a bit expensive as compared to lots of low-cost airlines. But it has certain charm and those ladies (that is what air-hostesses with IA are) have manners that take you to another world. Kids love travelling with '
... See more
My experience was really nice.

It is true that they don't have very young girls in minis working as air-hostess. And seriously, I don't travel to see beautiful faces.

But I really liked the way they greeted and food was nice.

Of course, it is a bit expensive as compared to lots of low-cost airlines. But it has certain charm and those ladies (that is what air-hostesses with IA are) have manners that take you to another world. Kids love travelling with 'em 'coz these ladies really pamper them with toffees etc.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Your mileage may vary" as they say in the car ads.... May 28, 2007

But I've had consistently bad experiences with Delta. Cranky customer-service people in the airport (in certain cities, at any rate), canceled flights, late arrivals, little information provided, etc. I gave up flying them about two years ago... I hope they've improved.

The most astonishingly positive recent experience I've had was on an airline I almost never fly: Lufthansa. Incredibly friendly and helpful flight staff, comfortable seats, good food, useful information communicated
... See more
But I've had consistently bad experiences with Delta. Cranky customer-service people in the airport (in certain cities, at any rate), canceled flights, late arrivals, little information provided, etc. I gave up flying them about two years ago... I hope they've improved.

The most astonishingly positive recent experience I've had was on an airline I almost never fly: Lufthansa. Incredibly friendly and helpful flight staff, comfortable seats, good food, useful information communicated on the screens as we were approaching the destination city, etc. Every aspect of customer service seemed very well thought out.

Several people have mentioned EasyJet, which I also enjoy flying: the crew tends to be very upbeat, and I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

TAP (which someone else mentioned) is also very good.

Most of time, I fly USAirways, which is fine: neither surprisingly good nor particularly bad.

[Edited at 2007-05-28 15:14]
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:50
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Service May 28, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Latvian national airline AirBaltic has only very young girls working as air-hostesses (well, some guys too from what Ive seen on my flights). Ive nothing against that but what always amuses me is that it seems these girls use the isle as some sort of a catwalk - struting up and down it with no obvious reason - and seem to be bewildered when you suddenly press the button to ask for help (by the look on their faces it seems they hope you pressed it by accident). So much for me being patriotic I guess...

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
One that doesn't exist anymore: Royal May 28, 2007

It was during winter and I was flying to Florida with my mom. The air attendants said there was a problem with the water so they could not serve coffee, so instead, they served wine all you can drink.

I haven't had a single bad experience so far, unless you count my luggage being lost, but then found and brought at no charge from Salzburg to the middle of Austria by taxi.

I traveled more with Air Transat,
... See more
It was during winter and I was flying to Florida with my mom. The air attendants said there was a problem with the water so they could not serve coffee, so instead, they served wine all you can drink.

I haven't had a single bad experience so far, unless you count my luggage being lost, but then found and brought at no charge from Salzburg to the middle of Austria by taxi.

I traveled more with Air Transat, but despite not having much room in the coach side, the service was decent.
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Russian
+ ...
... May 28, 2007

I agree that KLM and her US partner Northwest Airlines are very, very good but...

In 95% of all cases in my experience both KLM and Lufthansa transatlantic flights are much more expensive at any given time of the year, and KLM does not offer television sets in the back of a front seat in the economy class. Maybe in some aircraft, but there was none in mine.

So I'll stick with Air France whenever I can.

British Airlines do not allow pets in the cabin, to hel
... See more
I agree that KLM and her US partner Northwest Airlines are very, very good but...

In 95% of all cases in my experience both KLM and Lufthansa transatlantic flights are much more expensive at any given time of the year, and KLM does not offer television sets in the back of a front seat in the economy class. Maybe in some aircraft, but there was none in mine.

So I'll stick with Air France whenever I can.

British Airlines do not allow pets in the cabin, to hell with them:-), and they do not allow credits - for the cheapest non-refundable tickets it's fly or lose while AF/KLM allow changes for the same category. For the price, of course, but $200 for an overseas flight is still better than a total loss of ~$1000. 2 times they didn't charge me a thing - I suppose they'd overlooked it at the check-in. This loophole seems to be closed - now they charge over the phone at the moment of change. Maybe KLM took care of it after the merger...

Worst - Alitalia and Air Europe.

Alitalia should not exercise a national feature I adore in Italian people - no rush, enjoy it, life should be all about siesta! American businessmen with their task lists for a 1-week business trip US-style come back very close to heart attack... Time to learn - immediately in Italian means next week at best:-). Our tour guide in Rome told us - I give you 10 minutes but not Italian minutes, make it Swiss minutes:-)
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
for me... May 28, 2007

Poor Alitalia!!

I dislike flying with Ryanair (no, I'm not related ). They're not that cheap once you factor in all those stupid extra charges.

I like Lufthansa and Aer Lingus. I agree you get what you pay for. I am prepared to pay a little extra to fly to an airport that is near the city I want to go to (Do you hear me, Ryanair???), for an airline that will help me if something goes wrong.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
a pity :/ May 28, 2007

Absolutely worst:
Aer Lingus (Ireland) - Just flew them 2 week ago. Very liitle food and bad service. This airline tries to squeeze every penny from its passengers. They even charge for water (2 euros per bottle) on a transatlantic flight.
[/quote]

That is the one gripe I have about Aer Lingus - it comes to 8 euro for an average sandwich and coffee on European flights. Ridiculous. And you have to be very crafty if you want to sneak your own food onto the plane.
... See more
Absolutely worst:
[/quote]

That is the one gripe I have about Aer Lingus - it comes to 8 euro for an average sandwich and coffee on European flights. Ridiculous. And you have to be very crafty if you want to sneak your own food onto the plane.
When I flew to and from the States with them last autumn, all food and drink were free and I didn't have to pay for anything on board. I've always been happy with their service though. Oh well!
Collapse

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:50
German to Russian
+ ...
Some items May 28, 2007

Best Airlines:
Emirates, Lufthansa
Average:
ex USSR airlines
Worst Airlines:
Biman Bangladesh Airlines

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 11:50
German to Polish
+ ...
Best, average & worst May 28, 2007

listing in random order, apart from the "worst" section. The very bad one is on the top of the list

Best:
BA
Lufthansa (NOT including their code share on charter flights)
KLM (see Lufthansa)
Singapore Airlines (great within Asia & Oceania, the flight to FRA was like a completely different kettle of fish),yet - they're great!
Thai Airlines
Ethiopian (great service!)
Aero
... See more
listing in random order, apart from the "worst" section. The very bad one is on the top of the list

Best:
BA
Lufthansa (NOT including their code share on charter flights)
KLM (see Lufthansa)
Singapore Airlines (great within Asia & Oceania, the flight to FRA was like a completely different kettle of fish),yet - they're great!
Thai Airlines
Ethiopian (great service!)
Aeropostal (Venezuela)
Cathay Pacific
Qantas (very, very nice)

Average, but not too bad:
LOT (Polish)
TAP (Portuguese)
Al Italia
easy jet
Virgin Blue

Worst:
Air France
Cubana
wizzair

[Edited at 2007-05-28 21:48]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best and worst airlines

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »