Thread poster: biankonera
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
German to English
+ ...
United is the worst Jun 1, 2007

Best:

I have had good experiences with KLM, Sabena and British Airways. We now have frequent flier miles with American Airlines and so far no problems with them either.

Worst:

United. They lost our stroller, which was gate-checked: first of all, how can you lose a gate-checked stroller? Then after filling out the appropriate forms twice we never got reimbursed (we got reimbursed by the universe - friends who were moving away gave us the same stroller short
... See more
Best:

I have had good experiences with KLM, Sabena and British Airways. We now have frequent flier miles with American Airlines and so far no problems with them either.

Worst:

United. They lost our stroller, which was gate-checked: first of all, how can you lose a gate-checked stroller? Then after filling out the appropriate forms twice we never got reimbursed (we got reimbursed by the universe - friends who were moving away gave us the same stroller shortly thereafter!) They also have one of the worst on-time records, as I recall. So much for patriotism here, too - United's hub is Chicago and we really avoid flying with them.

[Edited at 2007-06-01 17:10]
Collapse

Vanessa Rivera Rivier
Vanessa Rivera Rivier  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Is it just my impression or do Alitalia pilots fly like Italians drive? Jun 2, 2007

It always seems like I'm on a jet when I fly Alitalia, sharp turns, fast descents etc...

One time I had to take a flight from Rome to Lamezia Terme and 5 minutes before boarding they told us that they had had to change planes and that "i posti sono saltati" ( basically that the seats on this other plane were arranged differently and that we could seat wherever we wanted).

Calamity ensued. A bus took us to the plane and as soon as the doors opened up I almost swea
... See more
It always seems like I'm on a jet when I fly Alitalia, sharp turns, fast descents etc...

One time I had to take a flight from Rome to Lamezia Terme and 5 minutes before boarding they told us that they had had to change planes and that "i posti sono saltati" ( basically that the seats on this other plane were arranged differently and that we could seat wherever we wanted).

Calamity ensued. A bus took us to the plane and as soon as the doors opened up I almost swear I started hearing the William Tell Overture in my head because everybody (including me =))started running like there was no tomorrow to try an grab the best seats (this was a 45 min flight mind you). I am ashamed to say I rather enjoyed it because I am Puerto Rican and I think we are very similar to Italians. It's that Latin thing. I don't think American passengers would have enjoyed something like that or any other EU passengers for that matter. =p

So "officially" I have to say Alitalia is the worst because no self-respecting *wink* passenger should have to run (like hell) to his/her seat (It was pretty fun though!).

Personal favorite: Brussels Airlines. Their flight attendants were extremely polite and the food was quite good as well (yes plane food!) with Belgian chocolates for dessert, yum! =)

Then again any airline that takes me to my destination without crashing is good enough for me!

[Edited at 2007-06-02 01:39]

[Edited at 2007-06-02 02:34]
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 19:29
Italian to English
Alitalia service Jun 2, 2007

Vanessa Rivera Rivier wrote:

Calamity ensued. A bus took us to the plane and as soon as the doors opened up I almost swear I started hearing the William Tell Overture in my head because everybody (including me =))started running like there was no tomorrow to try an grab the best seats (this was a 45 min flight mind you). I am ashamed to say I rather enjoyed it because I am Puerto Rican and I think we are very similar to Italians. It's that Latin thing. I don't think American passengers would have enjoyed something like that or any other EU passengers for that matter. =p

So "officially" I have to say Alitalia is the worst because no self-respecting *wink* passenger should have to run (like hell) to his/her seat (It was pretty fun though!).

Personal favorite: Brussels Airlines. Their flight attendants were extremely polite and the food was quite good as well (yes plane food!) with Belgian chocolates for dessert, yum! =)

Then again any airline that takes me to my destination without crashing is good enough for me!

[Edited at 2007-06-02 01:39]

[Edited at 2007-06-02 02:34]

I'm not that much an expert on their flying "habits", but Alitalia flight assistant service is not very good especially on return trips.

Rob

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
From my perspective Jun 2, 2007

All airlines are horrible, their task is to create horror! However, there are good airport bars and bad airport bars. Once you find a good airport bar with the strongest varieties of booze and quick-handed bartenders, then any airline can be the best

Suzanne Owen
Suzanne Owen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
German to English
+ ...
TWA names Jun 5, 2007

Nobuo Kameyama wrote:

Suzanne Owen wrote:

Worst:
TWA (thankfully they're not around anymore)

Does TWA mean Tomorrow We Arrive..?

For all the delays I experienced on their flights, Tomorrow We Arrive would certainly have been a fitting name!

The other unofficial version of their name I've heard is: Try Walking Across.

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 10:29
Late reply Jun 28, 2007

Not that I am a seasoned traveller but here's my opinion:

Best: it was very pleasant for me to fly with Scandinavian Airlines from Copenhagen to Oslo and return, and when I lived in Germany I tried to fly with Lufthansa whenever possible.

To go back to Spain I used to fly with Iberia -there were no other options, I'm talking about the pre-low-cost times- and used to loathe it. However I think that their customer assistance has improved in the past few years, I recently
... See more
Not that I am a seasoned traveller but here's my opinion:

Best: it was very pleasant for me to fly with Scandinavian Airlines from Copenhagen to Oslo and return, and when I lived in Germany I tried to fly with Lufthansa whenever possible.

To go back to Spain I used to fly with Iberia -there were no other options, I'm talking about the pre-low-cost times- and used to loathe it. However I think that their customer assistance has improved in the past few years, I recently had a couple of problems when flying with them (like losing connecting flights) and they were very helpful and sorted everything out immediately (well, it should be taken for granted, but it not always is!).

As for low-cost airlines - Air Berlin pleasantly surprised me. I don't particularly like Clickair, Easyjet or Ryanair, but I sometimes fly with them because of the low prices or because there aren't simply other combinations to reach my destiny. Well, my attitude with them is always "I'm paying 20 euro for this flight, I can't really complain, can I?" but I find staff distinctly rude and unhelpful - I once stood for more than 30 minutes to embark, and I wasn't particularly impressed that women with young children or old people had to stand as well.
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
The best and the worst... Jul 19, 2007

The best ones:

Finnair
BA
Malev (Hungarian airlines)

Best budget airline: Blue1 (part of SAS group); you don't really feel you're on a budget airline...

The worst:

I can't believe KLM is rated one of the best here by so many, when for me flying with KLM was my worst flight experience to date... In short, the initial flight was so delayed I lost my connecting flight, also by KLM, and to arrange a new one had to queue for about 2 hour
... See more
The best ones:

Finnair
BA
Malev (Hungarian airlines)

Best budget airline: Blue1 (part of SAS group); you don't really feel you're on a budget airline...

The worst:

I can't believe KLM is rated one of the best here by so many, when for me flying with KLM was my worst flight experience to date... In short, the initial flight was so delayed I lost my connecting flight, also by KLM, and to arrange a new one had to queue for about 2 hours, only to be told there's no chance of a new connecting flight until next morning, facing the "pleasant" prospect of spending the night at the airport... (And to make it worse, the needed connecting flight was only Amsterdam-London, about 1 hour!) Took a chance to be about 15th on the passenger list queuing up to get to a flight (I've forgotten the proper term for it) that was leaving that evening, and luckily made it... But wasn't impressed by KLM customer service, to say the least.

[Edited at 2007-07-19 19:29]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aer Lingus Aug 8, 2007

Natalia Potashnik wrote:

Good airlines:
KLM
British Air
Lufthansa
Thai Airways (great food and service. everyone got a live orchid on leaving the plane)

Absolutely worst:
Aer Lingus (Ireland) - Just flew them 2 week ago. Very liitle food and bad service. This airline tries to squeeze every penny from its passengers. They even charge for water (2 euros per bottle) on a transatlantic flight.

Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
My favorite is Continental Aug 14, 2007

My favorite is Continental, however, this is what I experienced on a flight from Rome back to New Jersey last spring:

I had ordered a vegetarian meal in advance, but when the food was brought out, the flight attendant informed me they didn't have a special meal for me. I asked her why (politely, although irritated)...she started yelling at me as if I was a total Bxxx and said: "Mam, if this is the worst thing that happens to you on this flight, you should be happy!" She said it twic
... See more
My favorite is Continental, however, this is what I experienced on a flight from Rome back to New Jersey last spring:

I had ordered a vegetarian meal in advance, but when the food was brought out, the flight attendant informed me they didn't have a special meal for me. I asked her why (politely, although irritated)...she started yelling at me as if I was a total Bxxx and said: "Mam, if this is the worst thing that happens to you on this flight, you should be happy!" She said it twice for everyone around me to hear...I couldn't believe it. It was the rudest thing I've ever heard on a plane and it was especially sensitive on a plane heading to Newark airport.

My absolute favorite is also Singapore Airlines. They have great food, great service, great people.

Almost forgot to mention the worst: Air France

[Edited at 2007-08-14 00:47]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best and worst airlines

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »