Thread poster: James Calder
James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Had to chuckle at this alleged comment by Liverpool and Argentina footballer Javier Mascherano about his compatriot Carlos Tevez:
"I know he's talking about a probable move to Liverpool. He would be a barbarian!"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/6701657.stm
Not sure whether Javier hasn't quite mastered his English yet or it's a case of a journalis
... See more
Had to chuckle at this alleged comment by Liverpool and Argentina footballer Javier Mascherano about his compatriot Carlos Tevez:
"I know he's talking about a probable move to Liverpool. He would be a barbarian!"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/6701657.stm
Not sure whether Javier hasn't quite mastered his English yet or it's a case of a journalist needing to brush up their translation skills.
No prizes for guessing what the Spanish is.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 07:21]
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
German to Italian
+ ...
? May 31, 2007

Could you explain it to those of us who don't speak Spanish? thanks

James Calder
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Lorenzo May 31, 2007

What he would have said in Spanish was "Sería bárbaro", which means "It would be fantastic [if he joined Liverpool]". Obviously someone got their wires crossed.

"Bárbaro" does mean "barbarian", but only when used as a noun. Here it is an adjective.

Tati Clau
Tati Clau

English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting post May 31, 2007

I enjoyed reading it.
Anyway, the title you chose is a bit "hard" for sensitive people like me who love Tévez!

James Calder
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Carlitos May 31, 2007

Tati, I love Tevez too.
He does look like a bit of James Bond baddie with that scar, though.

Tati Clau
Tati Clau

English to Spanish
+ ...
Scar :) Data. May 31, 2007

Tévez has a distinctive scar from his right ear, down his neck to his chest. This occurred when he was ten months old while he was exploring the terrain of his mother’s kitchen floor and he inadvertently pulled a kettle of boiling water over himself. This caused third-degree burns to the right side of his face, neck and chest and left him in intensive care for almost two months. Today the scars are a highly visible feature of Tévez, and did not get them fixed because he was playing in a juni... See more
Tévez has a distinctive scar from his right ear, down his neck to his chest. This occurred when he was ten months old while he was exploring the terrain of his mother’s kitchen floor and he inadvertently pulled a kettle of boiling water over himself. This caused third-degree burns to the right side of his face, neck and chest and left him in intensive care for almost two months. Today the scars are a highly visible feature of Tévez, and did not get them fixed because he was playing in a junior football team. He refused an offer from his Boca Juniors to have them cosmetically improved, saying that the scars were a part of who he was in the past and who he is today.[Wikipedia-Tévez).Collapse

Kevin Zhang
Kevin Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
As a fan of AC Milan, I have to say May 31, 2007

I have always hoped Milan could have Tevez.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 18:58
Italian to English
Uncool May 31, 2007

Speaking of "lost in translation".

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Marketing May 31, 2007

Tati Clau wrote:

I enjoyed reading it.
Anyway, the title you chose is a bit "hard" for sensitive people like me who love Tévez!

Well, Tati, James' title got you into this thread, right? A good example of sharp "marketing".

Andrés

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
terrific May 31, 2007

James Calder wrote:

What he would have said in Spanish was "Sería bárbaro", which means "It would be fantastic [if he joined Liverpool]". Obviously someone got their wires crossed.

"Bárbaro" does mean "barbarian", but only when used as a noun. Here it is an adjective.

LOL

rob_lloyd (X)
rob_lloyd (X)
Local time: 04:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snoogy Doogy May 31, 2007

I liked the 'Snoogy Doogy' one... Hahaha!!
"If Rafa said he wanted to buy 'Snoogy Doogy', we would back him."
Liverpool owner George Gillett tries to get down with the kids by name-checking a rap star. Oops.

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 01:58
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
:( May 31, 2007

Tati Clau wrote:
(...) the title you chose is a bit "hard" for sensitive people like me who love Tévez!

After I saw the post title, I was eager to hear a story about Tevez chewing some of his teammates head off or something like that... That would be a true barbarian!

Sorry Tati! Sorry James! I'm Brazilian, so I could NEVER agree with you! (For those who are not so familiar with soccer rivalries, Brazil and Argentina are mortal enemies in this sport...)

Zhendong Zhang wrote:
As a fan of AC Milan, I have to say

Sorry Zhang, but I completely disagree with you... Milan became my second team (São Paulo being my true love), since I married an Italian-American who is a milanista all the way. Therefore, I NEVER want to see Tevez playing in Milan! I don't think it's gonna happen, though, since Milan just told Inter they can keep Crespo and all the other Argentines on the other side of the town!

No hard feelings, but I'm still waiting to hear something truly barbaric!

Kevin Zhang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
haha, I never got a chance to talk about soccer with a Brazilian May 31, 2007

Footballwise, I think firstly I should show some respect on you.
I totally understand your feeling as a Brazilian against Argentina. With regard to the club level, at least we have sth common, i.e., we are both Inter-haters.

However, I have never supported Brazil in world cup games, even though Ronaldo, Kaka are my heroes.
It is just because Brazil is too strong for others.
I would rather support Argentina.

Zhendong Zhang wrote:
As a fan of AC Milan, I have to say

Sorry Zhang, but I completely disagree with you... Milan became my second team (São Paulo being my true love), since I married an Italian-American who is a milanista all the way. Therefore, I NEVER want to see Tevez playing in Milan! I don't think it's gonna happen, though, since Milan just told Inter they can keep Crespo and all the other Argentines on the other side of the town!

No hard feelings, but I'm still waiting to hear something truly barbaric! [/quote]

Kevin Zhang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
off topic May 31, 2007

it seems we are doing sth off topic in the off topic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tevez is a barbarian

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »