https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/74456-nice_day_great_translation_wonderful_life.html

Off topic: Nice day, great translation, wonderful life
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:38
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 2, 2007

Hi all,
I am sitting at my kitchen table in my house on a hill in a suburb of Honolulu, translating Italian recipes, extremely relaxed deadline, with a glass of wine and nice music. Today I just love my job and my life. I wish it could always be like this. No stressful deadlines, everybody relaxed and happy...
Please share with me if you are also experiencing a rare "zen moment"!

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ohhh yess! Jun 2, 2007

I'm sitting on the bridge of our unobtrusive summer cabin in the wonderful June sun at a temperature which accomodates skin, brain and laptop.
Since two years we have ADSL connection here and since ten years we have electricity.

The dealine is afar (Monday 8 am), the text is qualified yet not too difficult, my visitors take care of dinner and soon I'll join them in our village sauna.

The sea is glittering, the smoked and gravad salmon tastes paradisically and lif
... See more
I'm sitting on the bridge of our unobtrusive summer cabin in the wonderful June sun at a temperature which accomodates skin, brain and laptop.
Since two years we have ADSL connection here and since ten years we have electricity.

The dealine is afar (Monday 8 am), the text is qualified yet not too difficult, my visitors take care of dinner and soon I'll join them in our village sauna.

The sea is glittering, the smoked and gravad salmon tastes paradisically and life couldn't be better.

Mats the Swede
Collapse

FinLinguistics
FinLinguistics  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Finnish
+ ...
Hi there! Jun 2, 2007

Mats, you are cruel..smoked salmon would taste me too! I`ve just finished a nice and rather easy sve-fi tanslation with deadline on Monday, now relaxing and enjoying the evening and the heavy rain outside!

Minna the Finn

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
I envy you Jun 2, 2007

It's quite the opposite here. My house got flooded with water and mud week and a half ago after a heavy rainfall. My desktop computer with all my software and translations decided to go for a swim. Thank God I always do a backup to a laptop. The entire basement is ruined. Oh, I would do anything right now to be in your shoes. Thought I'd share a horrible moment. Hope I didn't spoil your good time with these news.

Jerry

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
You certainly didn't, Jerry Jun 2, 2007

Hope I didn't spoil your good time with these news.

We are here together in good days, and bad days. Hope you put everything back in order the soonest

Well, great day indeed! As I don't have any deadlines for the beginning of next week, I've been cleaning house (it had gone well beyond 'critical'!). That it's a Saturday, means I can send the kids out for shopping, and the rare German sun shines in a very laundry-friendly way today. What else can I want? Wonderful life

[Edited at 2007-06-02 18:40]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just back from Paris Jun 2, 2007

No stressful deadlines on the horizon and went for a walk with my dog Brian to hear the dawn chorus with the sun streaming down and the cows mooing. Just perfect! Paris was wonderful but my house is my castle (finished a year ago to my specifications).

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:38
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Husband just back from 2 weeks in China, Jun 2, 2007

Two small children no longer clinging to me desperately, in case I too head for the airport. Last week's insanity of rushed deadline after deadline finally over. Nice hot weather (30+), and an invitation to a BBQ for dinner... Life is good.

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Aloha nui loa :) Jun 2, 2007

Maaike Anne wrote:

Hi all,
I am sitting at my kitchen table in my house on a hill in a suburb of Honolulu, translating Italian recipes, extremely relaxed deadline, with a glass of wine and nice music. Today I just love my job and my life. I wish it could always be like this. No stressful deadlines, everybody relaxed and happy...
Please share with me if you are also experiencing a rare "zen moment"!

Where abouts? Leeward or Windward?

I used to live in Manoa, my refuge was Waimanalo, and I miss "my" islands to this day...

I am green, but that's my piliki'a...

Aloha nui,

Patricia

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aloha! Jun 2, 2007

Hi Patricia,
I live in Manoa We have a beautiful small house with a garden (with a mango tree!), view over Honolulu, it's very nice and peaceful (when the lawnmowers aren't around..).
Mats' life also sounds lovely!
Jerry, I'm very sorry, good luck with the mess!
Aloha nui loa

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
lucky you Jun 2, 2007

Maaike Anne wrote:

Hi Patricia,
I live in Manoa We have a beautiful small house with a garden (with a mango tree!), view over Honolulu, it's very nice and peaceful (when the lawnmowers aren't around..).
Mats' life also sounds lovely!
Jerry, I'm very sorry, good luck with the mess!
Aloha nui loa

I can picture just about where you are.....

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
A relaxed weekend in Oslo... Jun 3, 2007

... with my wife.

No translations waiting for a tomorrow-but-preferably-yesterday-deadline!

Wonderful sunny June weather, in a city half of whose area is forest!

Enjoyed a WONDERFUL powwow yesterday evening with two of Norway's most wonderful hosts, Per and Wenche Bergvall!

Met new translator friends for the first time, who have corresponded often with me through ProZ.com!

Truly, a wonderful, relaxed weekend, even with enough time
... See more
... with my wife.

No translations waiting for a tomorrow-but-preferably-yesterday-deadline!

Wonderful sunny June weather, in a city half of whose area is forest!

Enjoyed a WONDERFUL powwow yesterday evening with two of Norway's most wonderful hosts, Per and Wenche Bergvall!

Met new translator friends for the first time, who have corresponded often with me through ProZ.com!

Truly, a wonderful, relaxed weekend, even with enough time to read the forums, and make a few responses!

Best..
Bill
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
On the topic of hillsides ... Jun 5, 2007

After 5 years of trying to get life back on track, leaving South Africa to return to Europe and taking a real hammering on exchange rate, we've finally moved out of an apartment into a renovated, traditional Algarve cottage on a hillside, very high up overlooking the town of São Brás de Alportel with distant sea views down to Faro.

Now we can finally "braai" (barbeque) again and not have to listen to noisy neighbours upstairs; my office is no longer an enclosed balcony but rather
... See more
After 5 years of trying to get life back on track, leaving South Africa to return to Europe and taking a real hammering on exchange rate, we've finally moved out of an apartment into a renovated, traditional Algarve cottage on a hillside, very high up overlooking the town of São Brás de Alportel with distant sea views down to Faro.

Now we can finally "braai" (barbeque) again and not have to listen to noisy neighbours upstairs; my office is no longer an enclosed balcony but rather a proper room with a view and my miniature daschund can run around outside, now that we've put up some fencing to stop her hurtling down the hillside.

Have punishing deadlines through to Monday afternoon as I took last week off to move but as we can sit outside with a glass of wine in the evenings and actually hear birds and nothing else in the mornings, life could be far worse!

[Edited at 2007-06-05 15:24]
Collapse

wordsworldwi (X)
wordsworldwi (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
It's my turn.... Jun 5, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

After 5 years of trying to get life back on track, leaving South Africa to return to Europe

[Edited at 2007-06-05 15:24]

I know what you mean, I went through all that when I left East Africa, long ago!

Well, right now I'm enjoying a glass of white wine (strictly pinot from Oltrepò), I've just finished a huge, endless job which, however, turned out to be very rewarding, and I am expecting some friends to come over for dinner... they will take care of cooking.

Not bad at all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nice day, great translation, wonderful life

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »