Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: "if only I had.." inventions yet not invented..
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My clone Jun 22, 2007

[quote]Elisabetta M. wrote:

John Cutler wrote:

I know there was a recent film that used the same idea, but I’ve said for years that I’d like to have a remote control that works on children.

If they’re arguing - no problem - just push the mute button!

Now!!!!!

I just want my clone - bless her heart!
Love,
Jenny.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Weight controlling robot Jun 22, 2007

You eat as much as you wish, but it's the machine that gains weight. If you want to lose weight, you just go on translating; the machine exercises for you, and you lose weight.

I'd also like to have a sleepper. When you receive an urgent project at midnight, and you're too sleepy to do it, you send the machine to sleep for you, and you go on translating (of course if the contrary isn't possible).

[Edited at 2007-06-22 18:38]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Shame on you, Claudia! :o) Jun 22, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I could also use a meat/dairy-detector for vegans/vegetarians. Every time I go to the supermarket I end up spending hours reading all the ingredients of most products, like the vegetarian soup made with chicken stock

You mean you didn't know a chicken was a vegetable?

Amy

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:33
Spanish
+ ...
Chickens grow on trees Jun 22, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I could also use a meat/dairy-detector for vegans/vegetarians. Every time I go to the supermarket I end up spending hours reading all the ingredients of most products, like the vegetarian soup made with chicken stock

You mean you didn't know a chicken was a vegetable?

Amy

Ha, no. I meant those products that you can't possible know they have animal-based products until you read the tiny print **coughs**Campbell's**coughs**, as if it wasn't a big deal. That's actually my pet peeve.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Some folks just don't get it... Jun 22, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Ha, no. I meant those products that you can't possible know they have animal-based products until you read the tiny print **coughs**Campbell's**coughs**, as if it wasn't a big deal. That's actually my pet peeve.

Well, I used to be a vegetarian and people would ask me, "Do you eat fish and chicken?" And I'd say, "Well, as far as I know, a fish or a chicken isn't a vegetable." And they would stare at me blankly. It's this kind of mentality that thinks there's no problem with putting a little "beef powder" in your "vegetarian" ramen!

Amy

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A special telephone Jun 22, 2007

One, that detects an incoming call from a telemarketer and immediately connects the caller to another phone solicitor, so they can read their annoying little sales speeches to each other. House siding vs. long distance, for example. I think, this would be neat.

Alfredo Tutino
Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
English to Italian
+ ...
I'd even go further... Jun 22, 2007

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

You eat as much as you wish, but it's the machine that gains weight. If you want to lose weight, you just go on translating; the machine exercises for you, and you lose weight.

I'd also like to have a sleepper. When you receive an urgent project at midnight, and you're too sleepy to do it, you send the machine to sleep for you, and you go on translating (of course if the contrary isn't possible).

[Edited at 2007-06-22 18:38]

a Hi-tech version of old Dorian Gray's portrait would be nice too...

[Edited at 2007-06-22 21:44]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
I need a stupid-question blocker Jun 22, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

Well, I used to be a vegetarian and people would ask me, "Do you eat fish and chicken?" And I'd say, "Well, as far as I know, a fish or a chicken isn't a vegetable." And they would stare at me blankly. It's this kind of mentality that thinks there's no problem with putting a little "beef powder" in your "vegetarian" ramen!

Amy

I need a device that will set off an alarm in my head to warn me that the question I'm about to ask will be considered stupid by the other person. For instance, I was under the impression that there are many different types of vegan/vegetarian/meatless diets: Some people consume absolutely no animal products, some will consume milk products but not eggs (including caviar) or flesh, some do eat eggs but not flesh, and some eat fish and/or fowl but not red meat.

I don't know what the correct terminology for each type or degree is, but I wasn't aware that it was an offence or a sign of ignorance to ask someone how strict a vegetarian he or she is. Someone please educate me? (Oops, that alarm is going off in my head!)

I'm not being sarcastic; I really would like to know.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The ins and outs of vegetarianism Jun 22, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

I need a device that will set off an alarm in my head to warn me that the question I'm about to ask will be considered stupid by the other person. For instance, I was under the impression that there are many different types of vegan/vegetarian/meatless diets: Some people consume absolutely no animal products, some will consume milk products but not eggs (including caviar) or flesh, some do eat eggs but not flesh, and some eat fish and/or fowl but not red meat.

I don't know what the correct terminology for each type or degree is, but I wasn't aware that it was an offence or a sign of ignorance to ask someone how strict a vegetarian he or she is. Someone please educate me? (Oops, that alarm is going off in my head!)

I'm not being sarcastic; I really would like to know.

Hi Jane, I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I know that there are vegans, who eat no animal food at all, including milk, eggs, cheese, butter, etc., but as far as I know, anyone who actually eats AN ANIMAL (chicken, fish, whatever) is not a vegetarian. Maybe someone else has more info...this could be a whole new thread!

Amy

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd love that my eyeglasses had an alarm Jun 23, 2007

I can't read without my eyeglasses, but I always forget where I left them, so sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to find them. I run up ad down my home looking for them and I would love that there is a kind of alarm they could carry - let's say printed in their frames maybe - , so that when I need them they could answer a phone call, or a click from a kind of remote control with a ring or sound.

Maybe someone already invented something like this and I don't know. Please tell
... See more
I can't read without my eyeglasses, but I always forget where I left them, so sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to find them. I run up ad down my home looking for them and I would love that there is a kind of alarm they could carry - let's say printed in their frames maybe - , so that when I need them they could answer a phone call, or a click from a kind of remote control with a ring or sound.

Maybe someone already invented something like this and I don't know. Please tell me where to buy it!!
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it actually exists! Jun 23, 2007

Marianela Melleda wrote:

Maybe someone already invented something like this and I don't know. Please tell me where to buy it!!

Hi Marianella, actually, your dream machine..EXISTS! I know I saw it somewhere, possibly on some telesales..it's a little bug that you clip on the interested object (say your glasses), then you have this tiny remote (very similar to the gate opener remote) that, when activated to re-find something, beeps when you are close to the object. Like the metal detectors..
Now, maybe with the modern technology it will have a diplay showing you the way, like a navigator..don't know. But i'm sure it exists!!!

Fra

AHHA! YOU NEED TO VISIT THESE WESITES:
http://www.professorsolomon.com/
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6674364-claims.html

[Modificato alle 2007-06-23 11:37]

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Fish Jun 23, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:
but as far as I know, anyone who actually eats AN ANIMAL (chicken, fish, whatever) is not a vegetarian. Maybe someone else has more info...this could be a whole new thread!

German experience-

at the student cafeteria I was in last Friday, the veg counter was only serving fish ...

Anu

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:33
English to German
+ ...
dreaming of inventions Jun 23, 2007

francesca battaglia wrote:
As for me..i'd like to have an automatic car. You get in, fix your destination on the navigator and relax, waiting to arrive. no need to drive, no accidents risk (it will be superintelligent..)..

This does exist, actually. It is called "taxi".

Concerning other inventions, I am not choosey: any invention which would quickly make me rich would do..

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nope...that's too expensive! Jun 23, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

francesca battaglia wrote:
As for me..i'd like to have an automatic car. You get in, fix your destination on the navigator and relax, waiting to arrive. no need to drive, no accidents risk (it will be superintelligent..)..

This does exist, actually. It is called "taxi".

Concerning other inventions, I am not choosey: any invention which would quickly make me rich would do..

my uninvented-invention will be 100% ecological, burning no fuel, maybe hydrogen or soja beans..and no cash will be needed..and no drivers..:)))

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Fran, I think I know what you need Jun 23, 2007

100% ecological, burns no fuel (not even hydrogen or soy beans)... no cash will be needed... and no drivers. You need a horse:)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"if only I had.." inventions yet not invented..

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »