Thread poster: Katherine Matles

Katherine Matles  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2003

Hi Prozians,

I have been using Proz for the past year and four months. During this time, I have come to know people who have helped me to improve greatly as a translator and to provide my clients with a much more polished final product. The people on this web page have helped me to understand that many times we all have similar types of doubts and more often than not, every translator interprets a sentence in his own different way. Additionally, they have provided me with countless resources in addition to several different techniques for translating seemingly impossible documents. The problem is that more often than not, I feel that I am unable to adequately express my gratitude to these people.

So, I am writing this thank you note to Parrot, Cindy Chadd, Marian Greenfield, Oso, Hugo, Henry Hinds, Lila and all the other Prozians who have come to my aid in the past year and four months. I want to thank you for

1) Taking the time to answer Kudoz questions or research a topic which has nothing to do with your own while working on your own documents.

2) Refraining from criticism when a question is seemingly too easy to place on the Kudoz page.

3) Limiting yourselves to providing additional answers rather than criticizing the ones already given by your peers, when these seem inadequate or incomplete.

4) Confirming answers provided by others when these seem reasonable. Your expert input is greatly appreciated.

5) Confirming that my translation of certain words or sentences is indeed correct. When I am insecure or not sure that the terms I have used are the most adequate, this confirmation is very valuable.

6) Personally writing to me in cases where you have additional information to supply or cannot adequately express your opinions on the Proz page itself.

You are the people that make this web page such a valuable resource, which I hope to be able to rely on for years to come.

KUDOZ TO ALL OF YOU!

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
:-)))) Jan 13, 2003

Kathy,

I\'m personally very touched. But you\'ve made a valuable contribution today, just by reminding us HOW the site should run...

Wishing you even better things for 2003!

Cecilia

Lorna Thomson
Local time: 17:47
Spanish to English
Couldn't agree more! Jan 13, 2003

Everything that has been expressed by Katherine I would wish to endorse whole-heartedly. I am bowled over constantly by the helps I receive by other translators whom I regard as much more skilled than I am. I am s-o-o thankful for the KUDOZ system!!!!

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 00:47
English
+ ...
Well said Katherine. Jan 14, 2003

Cecilia drives home the point and I subscribe as much as Lorna does.

Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with you but... Jan 20, 2003

I agree with you upon everything except for 3). I do not usually give a disagree when it is a matter of style. But I am strongly in favour of disagreeing when an answer is absurd or has only been \"copied and pasted\" from a dictionary by someone just interested in earning Kudoz points and claims to be sure of his version (even if the word or phrase in question appears in a legal context and the term or phrase s/he provides are only used by sports commentators in the middle of a play!)

Regards to all

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
KudoZ to you... Jan 21, 2003

Hola,

You deserve KudoZ for expressing it so well.

Blessings your way,

JL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KUDOZ TO ALL OF YOU

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs