Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: The New 7 Wonders announced today
Thread poster: Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
English to Italian
Jul 8, 2007

Today (07/07/07) the new 7 Wonders of the World have been chosen by public vote!

For those who missed the news, here they are:

1) The Great Wall of China
2) Rome's Colusseum
3) India's Taj Mahal
4) Jordan's Petra
5) Peru's Machu Picchu
6) Rio's Christ Redeemer on the Corcovado
7) Mexico's Chichen Itza

I'm disappointed that Easter Island's statues didn't make the cut, but all in all I am happy about the 7 wonders c
... See more
Today (07/07/07) the new 7 Wonders of the World have been chosen by public vote!

2) Rome's Colusseum
3) India's Taj Mahal
4) Jordan's Petra
5) Peru's Machu Picchu
7) Mexico's Chichen Itza

I'm disappointed that Easter Island's statues didn't make the cut, but all in all I am happy about the 7 wonders chosen today. What do you think guys? Would you have chosen other wonders instead of these ones?

FYI Giza's pyramids were out of the contest, as they are the only surviving structures from the original 7 Wonders.

Here's the website:
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=633

[Edited at 2007-07-08 01:26]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What about 7 modern wonders of the world? Jul 8, 2007

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

2) Rome's Colusseum
3) India's Taj Mahal
4) Jordan's Petra
5) Peru's Machu Picchu
7) Mexico's Chichen Itza

I'm disappointed that Easter Island's statues didn't make the cut, but all in all I am happy about the 7 wonders chosen today. What do you think guys? Would you have chosen other wonders instead of these ones?

FYI Giza's pyramids were out of the contest, as they are the only surviving structures from the original 7 Wonders.

Here's the website:

Interesting forum. I note that most of the "wonders" listed are pretty ancient, and I assume that "by public vote" means that an already made list was presented to voters from which they were asked to choose, rather than people being asked to propose their own ideas - this is what usually happens with surveys ("Britain's favourite painting", and so on).
I'd be interested to hear Prozies' own suggestions for modern wonders of the world.
I'd include the Millau viaduct over the Tarn gorge in France, for one.
Regards,
Jenny.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm happy with the result Jul 8, 2007

Our Great Wall is among the New Seven Wonders!

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Do we really need a list? Jul 8, 2007

After all, beauty lies in the eyes of beholder and there are so many things that are equally breathtaking... so why should we limit ourselves to just 7 wonders?

I guess life is the biggest wonder So just enjoy it and everything else that comes along.

All these lists are just ways to earn more money (like everything else). Note all the things that this sit
... See more
After all, beauty lies in the eyes of beholder and there are so many things that are equally breathtaking... so why should we limit ourselves to just 7 wonders?

I guess life is the biggest wonder So just enjoy it and everything else that comes along.

All these lists are just ways to earn more money (like everything else). Note all the things that this site (http://www.new7wonders.com) is trying to sell!

And who says that Mount Abu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Abu) is not beautiful. I've seen both Taj Mahal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal) and Dilwara temples in Mount Abu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilwara_Temples) and I'd say Mt. Abu is much more beautiful.

Just compare:
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=497
http://www.rajasthan.gov.in/MOUNT%20ABU.SHTM

Just an example There are so many beautiful places and things, so why should we limit ourselves to just 7?

[Edited at 2007-07-08 08:56]
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:15
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Alhambra is out of the list Jul 8, 2007

Hello everybody,

I live in Granada (Spain), where the most wisited Spanish monument stands - the Alhambra. It was also one of the candidates to the new 7 wonders.

I cannot agree more with Ritu. All it is about is money and increasing touristic movement. And you said it all: the world is too big to limit yourself just to seven great places to see.

It was horrible to stay in Granada during last months as everything was full of "vote to the Alhambra" po
... See more
Hello everybody,

I live in Granada (Spain), where the most wisited Spanish monument stands - the Alhambra. It was also one of the candidates to the new 7 wonders.

I cannot agree more with Ritu. All it is about is money and increasing touristic movement. And you said it all: the world is too big to limit yourself just to seven great places to see.

It was horrible to stay in Granada during last months as everything was full of "vote to the Alhambra" posters. Even public buses, instead of carrying the corresponding bus line number, were provided with a notice: "Vote to the Alhambra, call XXX number or send an SMS to XXX number". The city taxis were also provided with a kind of hubcups that were saying the same: Vote... Vote... Vote... Averybody was "obliges" to vote. As if nothing else was important.

I know it is very important for Granada (or any other touristic place) to promote its monuments, but all this campaign was a little bit tiresome. And thanks Goodness the voting is over.

I hope that today the bus line numbers will show up again at the front bus windows. You know, sometimes its good to know which bus is standing at the bus stop

Regards,

Monika
Collapse

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:15
English to German
+ ...
Cool! Jul 8, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

2) Rome's Colusseum
3) India's Taj Mahal
4) Jordan's Petra
5) Peru's Machu Picchu
7) Mexico's Chichen Itza

Here's the website:

Interesting forum. I note that most of the "wonders" listed are pretty ancient, and I assume that "by public vote" means that an already made list was presented to voters from which they were asked to choose, rather than people being asked to propose their own ideas - this is what usually happens with surveys ("Britain's favourite painting", and so on).
I'd be interested to hear Prozies' own suggestions for modern wonders of the world.
I'd include the Millau viaduct over the Tarn gorge in France, for one.
Regards,
Jenny.

Thanks for letting us know. It did escape me...

I don't know if there was a made list from which to choose, but I guess so. People were able to vote via internet. I think more than 100 billion peeps took part in it.

German "Schloss Neuschwanstein" didn't make it but that's ok. I'm quite satisfied with the new wonders.

Happy Sunday and lots of little wonders

Lauren DeAre
Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:15
Spanish to English
also glad the wonders campaign is over, to a good end Jul 8, 2007

In Mexico, we've seen the same as Monika describes in Spain: even the Coke cans have a "Vote for Chichen Itza" on them!

However, I think the campaign is worthwhile. Apart from perhaps Rome and increasingly China, the wonders are in countries that are not on the traditional tourist tracks, and are mostly countries that can benefit from increased tourism revenue.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't know Jul 8, 2007

Thanks for your insight, girls.

Actually I didn't know that voting campaigns were held in the running cities and that all the shebang had the purpose of increasing tourism revenue to these destinations. I was in Rome last March and I didn't see any ad (probably because it was early in the year or most likely because I didn't pay attention).

I agree with Ritu, the world is full of wonders, choosing only 7 is a bit limiting.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
3 Asians; 3 Latin Americans, and 1 European... Jul 8, 2007

Latin America is a wonder altogether. I will never stop being provoked and astonished by all the secrets this Continent keeps, and only with the advent of the satelital photography they begun to be revealed, quite apart from the three wonders already on the list.

All our Continent is a land full of mystery and beauty, and I am proud of my country being on the list! (Chichén Itzá archeological site.)

[Edited at 2007-07-09 04:47]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
agree Jul 8, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Latin America is a wonder altogether. I will never stop being provoked and astonished by all the secrets this Continent keeps, and only with the advent of the satelital photography they begun to be revealed, quite apart from the three wonders already on the list.

All our Continent is a land full of mystery and beauty, and I am proud of my country being on the list! (Chichén Itzá Pyramid.)

Couldn't agree with you more, Tadzio. I've always dreamt of visiting Central and South America, from Mexico and Guatemala, to wonderful Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. I hugely enjoy taking a look at the satellite images visible through Google Earth and Windows Virtual Earth.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 12:15
Italian to English
I agree with Ritu Jul 8, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

All these lists are just ways to earn more money (like everything else). Note all the things that this site (http://www.new7wonders.com) is trying to sell!

And who says that Mount Abu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Abu) is not beautiful. I've seen both Taj Mahal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal) and Dilwara temples in Mount Abu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilwara_Temples) and I'd say Mt. Abu is much more beautiful.

Just compare:
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=497
http://www.rajasthan.gov.in/MOUNT%20ABU.SHTM

Just an example There are so many beautiful places and things, so why should we limit ourselves to just 7?

[Edited at 2007-07-08 08:56]

I totally agree with you.......why only 7? The world is full of beautiful places...some forgotten, but for that not less important.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:15
French to Portuguese
+ ...
What do you think guys? Would you have chosen other wonders instead of these ones? Jul 8, 2007

Hi Liliana,

I participated in the voting. 4 of my choices were chosen, so it was alreay worth voting.

I also chose Stonehendge, the Easter Island statues and the Neuschwanstein Castle, but they were not chosen.

As a Portuguese, I also participated in the 7 Portuguese wonders voting. 5 of my favourite were chosen.

W
... See more
Hi Liliana,

I participated in the voting. 4 of my choices were chosen, so it was alreay worth voting.

I also chose Stonehendge, the Easter Island statues and the Neuschwanstein Castle, but they were not chosen.

As a Portuguese, I also participated in the 7 Portuguese wonders voting. 5 of my favourite were chosen.

Were you guys able to see the Portuguese ceremony or was it just broadcast here in Portugal?
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I'm thrilled, of course... Jul 9, 2007

...that Cristo Redentor was chosen, since I live in Rio and have always found it breathtakingly beautiful, including the view from the top (especially at night).

Amy

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing like a campaign in Chile Jul 9, 2007

Thanks for your insight, girls.

Actually I didn't know that voting campaigns were held in the running cities and that all the shebang had the purpose of increasing tourism revenue to these destinations. I was in Rome last March and I didn't see any ad (probably because it was early in the year or most likely because I didn't pay attention).

I agree with Ritu, the world is full of wonders, choosing only 7 is a bit limiting.

Well now we know why Chilean Moais are not among the new 7 wonders- only for the past two weeks did the authorities (remarkably Madame President), some private companies, and the media decide to promote this election.

ALEJANDRA.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
I think not all participants in the forum have understood what the point is. Jul 9, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World is a widely-known list of seven remarkable manmade constructions. In the ancient times, it was based on guide-books popular among Hellenic sight-seers that only included works located around the Mediterranean rim. Later lists include those for the Medieval World and, today, for the Modern World. (Taken from Wikipedia.)

Obviously, being voted as one of the New Seven Wonders will bring to our countries more visitors. That's why the survey called even the attention of our governments and the tourism industry.

The ancients did not have Internet, so their voting was extremely local; but now, the Heidi Weber Museum in Zurich thought the media could give us a better result of what the world think are the Modern "Seven Wonders", that is: the most remarkable manmade constructions, with millions of people participating.

It's understandable that many of you question "Why only Seven? Well, we know there are many more wonders, but that's the way the ancients named the list. And so are we.

By the way: Ritu Bhanot, I can't see what the "sevenwonders" site is trying to sell. (All museums in the world sell cups, maps, shirts, bags... Is that so annoying?)

TADZIO

[Edited at 2007-07-09 21:00]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The New 7 Wonders announced today

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »