https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/80704-roommate_for_ata_conference_in_san_francisco_oct_31_nov_3.html

Off topic: Roommate for ATA Conference in San Francisco, Oct. 31--Nov. 3
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

I am looking for a roommate for the ATA Conference in San Francisco this fall, if anyone is interested. I plan on staying at the Hyatt (where the conference is being held), and the "special" room rate is $225 per night for a room with two beds.

Please contact me via proz.com e-mail if interested.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not so Economical Aug 7, 2007

I would say that the ATA should realize that translators in general do not have an income approaching that of corporate executives, and should look for more economical locations.

With airfare, etc. attending the conference could easily set one back a couple of thousand. No thanks, you can count me out, but I hope you can find someone to help soften the blow!

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
French to English
+ ...
Cost Aug 7, 2007

I agree with Henry, the cost is a bit high.

However, SF is a nice destination, so if you look at it as a trip with a translation conference thrown in, it might start to look more worthwhile.

If cost is an issue, I recommend looking into a cheaper hotel outside of the city center near a BART station. BART offers a great affordable way to get into and out of the city.

Good luck finding a roommate or alternative lodgings!

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:09
German to English
Here we go again... Aug 7, 2007

It's getting towards that time of year again, I suppose, when complaints are voiced in various forums about the alleged excessive cost of ATA conferences.

A few things to consider:

It's not easy to find a venue for a four-day conference (including workshops) of between roughly 1200 and 1600 people, including rooms for breakout sessions, and so on. It's much easier for a conference of up to 400 people, and for a conference of over 5000 people.

The conference
... See more
It's getting towards that time of year again, I suppose, when complaints are voiced in various forums about the alleged excessive cost of ATA conferences.

A few things to consider:

It's not easy to find a venue for a four-day conference (including workshops) of between roughly 1200 and 1600 people, including rooms for breakout sessions, and so on. It's much easier for a conference of up to 400 people, and for a conference of over 5000 people.

The conference venue must be easily reached by air from just about everywhere, including overseas. Plus, it should be in a location that also has a reasonable offering of lower-priced hotels in the immediate vicinity, as well as some sort of night life.

Henry Hinds wrote:
I would say that the ATA should realize that translators in general do not have an income approaching that of corporate executives, and should look for more economical locations.

Firstly, it's not the conference itself that it's expensive, is it? It's one of the cheapest three-day conferences around. Rather, accommodation(s) and air travel are by far the largest factors. I know a lot of people who attend ATA conferences and probably pay no more than 60 or 70 dollars a night in a nearby cheaper hotel. And the ATA isn't responsible for high air fares, is it? No, that's the fault of the people inside the Beltway, surely.

Secondly, your assumption that translators in general "do not have an income approaching that of corporate executives" assumes a knowledge of translator incomes that is, to put it mildly, astonishing. Presumably, only translators (all 1200-1600 of them) with incomes approaching those of corporate executives attend ATA conferences, right?

Plenty of younger, less experienced translators attend the ATA conference (which is after all the largest T&I conference in the world) because they quite rightly see it as in investment in knowledge and networking. Others just turn up because it's a chance to get away from the office for a week or so, meet up with friends and valued colleagues, gain new clients or suppliers, and get the sort of first-hand information you'll never find online.

Although I'm possibly not the right person to comment on all this because I'll happily pay a couple of thousand dollars gate money, plus hotel and air fare, for a good professional (subject area) conference.

Robin
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe I'm assuming a lot? Aug 7, 2007

"Secondly, your assumption that translators in general "do not have an income approaching that of corporate executives" assumes a knowledge of translator incomes that is, to put it mildly, astonishing."

True, I have done no surveys on translator incomes, but I think there have been some done here. While I'm a bit hazy on the results, I don't recall seeing loads of people breaking the 6-figure mark for an annual income from translation; perhaps even none at all. It seems like most we
... See more
"Secondly, your assumption that translators in general "do not have an income approaching that of corporate executives" assumes a knowledge of translator incomes that is, to put it mildly, astonishing."

True, I have done no surveys on translator incomes, but I think there have been some done here. While I'm a bit hazy on the results, I don't recall seeing loads of people breaking the 6-figure mark for an annual income from translation; perhaps even none at all. It seems like most were on the lower end of 5 figures. Anything better would be not only astonishing, but gratifying to hear.

"Presumably, only translators (all 1200-1600 of them) with incomes approaching those of corporate executives attend ATA conferences, right?"

Of course not. Most of them probably max out on their credit cards like just about everyone else does.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Roommate for ATA Conference in San Francisco, Oct. 31--Nov. 3

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »