Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2003

If you don\'t live in the FSU, bet you\'ve never heard of them have you? And there are even many people there who know nothing about them. But their story is just about one of the most tragic to afflict any ethnic group in those parts (Chechens aside).

I spent two months out in the Caucasus researching this story - I\'d urge you to read it, not for the sake of self-promotion on my part, but just because I think more people sh
... See more
If you don\'t live in the FSU, bet you\'ve never heard of them have you? And there are even many people there who know nothing about them. But their story is just about one of the most tragic to afflict any ethnic group in those parts (Chechens aside).

I spent two months out in the Caucasus researching this story - I\'d urge you to read it, not for the sake of self-promotion on my part, but just because I think more people should know about them.

http://www.iwpr.net/index.pl?archive/cau/cau_200301_163_1_eng.txt

Thanks in advance for taking the time to do so.

Dan

Collapse

TimeinTime (X)
TimeinTime (X)
English to French
+ ...
I am reading it Jan 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-28 15:40, The Tautologist wrote:

I spent two months out in the Caucasus researching this story - I\'d urge you to read it, not for the sake of ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-28 15:40, The Tautologist wrote:

I spent two months out in the Caucasus researching this story - I\'d urge you to read it, not for the sake of self-promotion on my part, but just because I think more people should know about them.

http://www.iwpr.net/index.pl?archive/cau/cau_200301_163_1_eng.txt

Thanks in advance for taking the time to do so.

Dan

It is new for me and it seems to be very interesting, I will read it and also some of the link. ▲ Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Akhaltsike Jan 28, 2003

Last summer I travelled around Georgia and Armenia as a backpacker - and stopped by for a few days in the Akhaltsike-Vardzia region, aka the Meshket region. I first read about the Meshketian Turks several years ago, but I cannot remember in what context.

Anyway, what I remember from the guidebook is this territory was annexed in 1828 by the same Russian general who suppressed the Hungarian revolution against the Habsburgs in 1849.

(For those who are not up-to-date in Hungari
... See more
Last summer I travelled around Georgia and Armenia as a backpacker - and stopped by for a few days in the Akhaltsike-Vardzia region, aka the Meshket region. I first read about the Meshketian Turks several years ago, but I cannot remember in what context.

Anyway, what I remember from the guidebook is this territory was annexed in 1828 by the same Russian general who suppressed the Hungarian revolution against the Habsburgs in 1849.

(For those who are not up-to-date in Hungarian history: the revolution started in March 1848, together with many other similar events throughout Europe, but continued on right through the summer of 1849. The Austrians were too weak to crush the revolt, so they enlisted support from the Russians.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meskhetian Turks

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »