Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: What are you reading at the moment?
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Sara Pisano
Sara Pisano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
"Le città invisibili" Aug 27, 2007

(The invisible cities) by Italo Calvino.

I'm fond of his writing, so I'm trying to read all the books he wrote...

Danae Lucia Ferri
Danae Lucia Ferri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:16
Norwegian to Greek
+ ...
Why men love bitches! Aug 27, 2007

by Sherry Argov

filipa ceia
filipa ceia  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:16
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Glenn Meade Aug 27, 2007

The Devil's Disciple

Cristina Santos
Cristina Santos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am reading Aug 27, 2007

Animales Tristes (Sad Animals) by Jordi Puntí

Reel by George Szirtes

and

The Perfect Hostage: The Life of Aung San Suu Kyi by Justin Wintle (again!)

Somehow, I can't picture Yaotl reading a book on Pregnancy-No Lactation, though.

Jane, I think Yaotl means Programación Neurolingüística (PNL), something we have talked about "por otros pagos".

Aleksandra Górecka
Aleksandra Górecka
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
"What are you reading at the moment?" Aug 27, 2007

I've just finished "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" - I know it's not a very ambitious read, but it's an addiction I've had to indulge since I read to my son the first part of Harry's adventures...
Now I'm going to turn to something more demanding, like Tracy Chevalier's "The Lady and the Unicorn" - I love historical novels....

Deschant
Deschant
Henry James... Aug 27, 2007

The Aspern Papers.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:46
English to Hindi
+ ...
Quickbooks Aug 27, 2007

Hi,
I am not reading anything, I am just working around different issues of Quickbooks financial software nowadays. I have to read several stuffs over internet and quickbooks help menu to elaborate my understandings over the software.
Warm Regards!
PRAKASH SHARMA
F.T. of Nepali, Hindi, Sanskrit to and from English language

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Michel Faber Aug 27, 2007

The crimson petal and the white (2002)

After reading his highly original 'Under the skin' I decided to tackle this slightly bigger volume. The jacket promised 'an extraordinarily rich, intricate, intoxicating and deeply satisfying read', which it is.

And:
Jean-Marie Guyau - La morale d'épicure (1874)
to keep up on my philosophy (and my French).

[Edited at 2007-08-27 12:58]

sofiablu (X)
sofiablu (X)
Netherlands
Jonathan Safran Foer Aug 27, 2007

emoreda wrote:

The Aspern Papers.

Wow, that's a great reading: Ah you publishing scoundrel!.

I'm currently reading Everything is illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, a really well written story - though it has some weaknesses, with an incredible Ukrainian interpreter.

A more mature work by Safran Foer is the intense and powerful, almost unbearable, Extremely loud & incredibly close.

And - last but not least - I've just read another American writer's work, Cormac McCarthy's The Road, probably one of the greatest novels ever.

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
"Antartide: inferno e paradiso" by Reinhold Messner Aug 27, 2007

Very interesting book on a place still beyond our "civilising" compulsion. Besides, it helps me imagine myself out of the heat we're having since a few days here in Sardinia (around 40° C)...

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
just a guess Aug 27, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Which PNL

Yaotl Altan wrote:

1) "Khomeini: Life of the Ayatolla"
by Baqer Moin

2) "La mafia nos robó la presidencia"
by López Obrador

3) A book about PNL

4) The PDF's guidelines attached to TRADOS 7.

Perceived noise level?
Pacific Naval Lab?
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy?
Punks Need Lovin'?

My guess is that Yaotl used the acronym in Spanish (Programación Neurolingüística, PNL), which is Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) in English....

EDIT: I hadn't seen Cristina's comment

[Edited at 2007-08-27 16:30]

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Finished some and starting some... Aug 27, 2007

Finished yesterday 'Mamás de teta grande' by Fernanda Familiar.

I am currently reading 'The Bourne Identity', 'The Bourne Ultimatum' by Robert Ludlum. Cant find the Bourne Supremacy anywhere by the way....

The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles

La cultura. Todo lo que hay que saber (Culture. Everything You Need to Know) by Dietrich Schwanitz

and I still have to finish La Peste, by Albert Camus.

Alessandro Zocchi
Alessandro Zocchi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
Various books Aug 27, 2007

Currently reading:

"Dopo Babele" ("After Babel") by George Steiner
and
"La Russia dopo l'URSS" ("Russia after USSR") by Francesco Benvenuti.

Despite of these readings, there was a time when I read 'easier' books, like "Maria, ihm schmeckt 's nicht" ("Maria, he doesn't like it") by Ian Weiler, and so I enjoyed my holidays in Germany.

I am planning to read again "Crime and punishment" by Fjodor Mikhailovitsch Dostojewskij, one of the best works e
... See more
Currently reading:

"Dopo Babele" ("After Babel") by George Steiner
and
"La Russia dopo l'URSS" ("Russia after USSR") by Francesco Benvenuti.

Despite of these readings, there was a time when I read 'easier' books, like "Maria, ihm schmeckt 's nicht" ("Maria, he doesn't like it") by Ian Weiler, and so I enjoyed my holidays in Germany.

I am planning to read again "Crime and punishment" by Fjodor Mikhailovitsch Dostojewskij, one of the best works ever...

Ale
Collapse

Alessandro Zocchi
Alessandro Zocchi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
Calvino Aug 27, 2007

Sara Pisano wrote:

(The invisible cities) by Italo Calvino.

I'm fond of his writing, so I'm trying to read all the books he wrote...

I share the same love for Calvino: I love Marcovaldo o le stagioni in città as well as all of his works. I love his creativity!!!

Ale

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
question Aug 27, 2007

Loved to learn what others are reading right now.
I have started "The peoples act of Love" by James Meek. This is situated in Siberia 1919. Really like reading about other areas in the world and other living habits, preferably in detail:)

Hope I am not changing te subject toomuch, but I am longing for a novel that breathes, oozes, the Southern USA.

I'd like to learn about the local speach a little bit (and some of the culture perhaps), and experience a sweltering
... See more
Loved to learn what others are reading right now.
I have started "The peoples act of Love" by James Meek. This is situated in Siberia 1919. Really like reading about other areas in the world and other living habits, preferably in detail:)

Hope I am not changing te subject toomuch, but I am longing for a novel that breathes, oozes, the Southern USA.

I'd like to learn about the local speach a little bit (and some of the culture perhaps), and experience a sweltering summer in rural Southern areas...Haven't found that kind of book yet. I'd order it from anywhere.
Perhaps, in between all the other posts, but not taking up too much space, somebody could suggest a good title for me!

This thread seems like a great opportunity to ask this question to my colleagues who read a lot and are living all over the world.
Or should I start a new topic on this
I've decided to started a new topic on this..

[Edited at 2007-08-27 21:09]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are you reading at the moment?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »