Thread poster: Toralf Mjelde

Toralf Mjelde  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:54
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2007

Hi everyone,

What location in the world do you feel is the best for doing freelance translation? I'm situated in Australia, on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast, and I'm thinking there can't be a better place for this occupation. Or....?

Have a great weekend!

Toralf

Direct link Reply with quote

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:54
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Location Aug 31, 2007

For me that perfect location is where my heart and soul feels the best and that is Italy.:)

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:54
Member (2007)
English to Italian
I think you're right Aug 31, 2007

Toralf Mjelde wrote:

I'm situated in Australia, on the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast, and I'm thinking there can't be a better place for this occupation.
Toralf

Period. (Sigh)

[Edited at 2007-08-31 11:04]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
Dubai... Aug 31, 2007

If it weren't so hot (45°C in summer), Dubai would be the ideal place for me.
0% taxes. No worries about VAT, income-tax ....

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Somewhere near the equator, at 1500 to 2300 m altitude Aug 31, 2007

At these places you have the same moderate (springtime) climate the whole year round.

The only problem is that there are not many places in that region where you also have a broadband access, and where the streets are reasonably safe from bandits and other diseases..

I am going to check out Addis Ababa in 2 weeks and Guadalajara next year.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 10:21]

Marion Rooijmans
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You mean ANY location? Aug 31, 2007

Regardless of the availability of an internet connection, a mobile network and food? I'd go and sit on top of Roy's Peak (Wanaka, New Zealand) or in one of the huts of one of NZ's Great Walks. Beautiful and very inspirational views, no noise... Too bad I wouldn't be able to carry my laptop, clothes and a sustainable supply of food and drinks all the way up there...

But sitting in my roof garden in summer is not that bad either

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your language pairs Aug 31, 2007

And where your clients are located.

You can live in the most beautiful country on earth, but as long as you have to cater to bizarre time zones and your clients just LOVE communicating with you at 4 in the morning, you won't get to see much of the landscape around you. At least not during daytime.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Border Aug 31, 2007

For me it's the Border. It's where two cultures and two countries come together. It's where both languages are lived on a daily basis on all levels.

Plenty of direct clients, lots of paper documents, no quirky agencies, and if they don't pay, they are close enough for me to go over and strangle them.

Plus there is no guessing as to whose version of the language is best; it's always "our" version.

And its "our" rates too.

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
Australia too! But there might be some time zone problems... Sep 1, 2007

Hi Toralf,

I would love to be a translator in Australia as well but I think it could be a bit difficult due to East Australia timezone...
I would be curious to know how you deal with timezone problems. Do you work during the day or at night?
If you work at night, do you have time to enjoy Australia during the day?

I try to figure out how European translators would organize their business and personal life in Australia due to timezone problems...

Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:54
English to Finnish
+ ...
Plenty of places Sep 1, 2007

Phuket's not too bad I suppose - I can go for a walk on the beach when I feel like it, it's warm all year round if a bit wet around now, it's cheap to live...

Timezones are mostly beneficial to me when I work for European companies, I get a headstart of 4-6 hours before they even come to work (read: uninterrupted worktime) and I can still be in contact with them during their office hours. And I can work for Asian companies easily.

There are plenty of places I'd like though, Australia being home to many beautiful spots, for example Port Stephens near Newcastle. If I had been able to work in Kadidiri, Sulawesi, Indonesia, that would have been a great location... too bad they didn't have internet or phones, or even 24-hour electricity for that matter

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 09:54
English to Spanish
My best freelance location? Sep 1, 2007

Anywhere in front the sea.

Yess.

Toralf Mjelde  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aussies Sep 2, 2007

Hi,

It could be a problem yes, but mainly when it comes to getting the job. It's late here before Europe comes alive, but I ususally check my websites late at night and apply for the jobs open then. Then I wake up early to see if I get them, and start working! It's nice to have almost all day to work before things start happening over the pond. So I'm liking it!

Cheers,

Toralf

Pro-Trans wrote:

Hi Toralf,

I would love to be a translator in Australia as well but I think it could be a bit difficult due to East Australia timezone...
I would be curious to know how you deal with timezone problems. Do you work during the day or at night?
If you work at night, do you have time to enjoy Australia during the day?

I try to figure out how European translators would organize their business and personal life in Australia due to timezone problems...

irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 15:54
French to English
+ ...
Brasiiiiil Sep 28, 2007

I spent a few weeks in Montréal this summer, still working for European clients. Since they need a response immediately it DID mean that I would occasionally get woken up at 4am (Outlook's "Rules and Alerts" option and a dramatic wave file set at 80dB will do the trick...), but since I never take same-day deadlines I would only need a minute to glance over the document to make sure I could translate it and respond with ok and go back to sleep! One advantage was that it also meant that if I was having a slow week I could leave the house just after lunch for the rest of the day and enjoy the wonderful city and not worry about missing any emails/calls.
If you like travelling as a translator, a SkypeIn number is a great tool and means you don't have to worry your clients with your location if they call you as well as email. I intend to go to the beaches in the north-east of Brazil in January for a two months while still working! Maybe after that I'll gradually go through the rest of South America

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance location

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs