Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:16
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 2, 2007

Hello,

My friend is going to attend an international voice competition in Montreal in November this year. He needs to find a suitable hotel close to the competition venue.
The address is: Theatre Lyrichoregra - 4946 rue Hortie, Pierrefonds, Québec, H8Y 1Z3, Canada. I tried to put it in Google Earth and I found the place but no hotels close to it. The only one that is not that far was Hampton Inn and Suites Montreal - Dorval.

Unfortunately, my friends does not speak English very well so he needs to find a place from where he could either walk to the Theatre (if it is actually possible in Montreal - walking - I mean if there are sidewalks) or from where he could go by bus/tram/subway or whatever urban traffic is available in Montreal.

Would you have any tips? As he said - price is not the issue.

Thank you in advance,

Veronika

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Barnett
Local time: 13:16
English
+ ...
Hotel near the venue. Sep 2, 2007

Hi Veronika,

I have stayed myself at the Hampton Inn and Suites on the Trans Canada Highway and your friend will find it quite acceptable. However, he will not be able to walk to the venue.

He should be aware that Pierrefonds is a suburb of Montreal. The subway does not even run there. There are buses though.

The hotel itself is located just off a six lane highway. While the residential areas have sidewalks, of course, he is not going to want to walk from the hotel. He could easily take a taxi. Perhaps the hotel would provide a shuttle.

Michael

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
Roxboro - Pierrefonds resident Sep 3, 2007

Veronika Hansova wrote:

My friend is going to attend an international voice competition in Montreal in November this year. He needs to find a suitable hotel close to the competition venue.
The address is: Theatre Lyrichoregra - 4946 rue Hortie, Pierrefonds, Québec, H8Y 1Z3, Canada. I tried to put it in Google Earth and I found the place but no hotels close to it. The only one that is not that far was Hampton Inn and Suites Montreal - Dorval.

Unfortunately, my friends does not speak English very well so he needs to find a place from where he could either walk to the Theatre (if it is actually possible in Montreal - walking - I mean if there are sidewalks) or from where he could go by bus/tram/subway or whatever urban traffic is available in Montreal.

Veronika

Hello Veronika,

I live in Roxboro - Pierrefonds. It does seem that the Hampton Inn and Suites would be the closest (approx 3.5 km). Another possibility would be the Holiday Inn in Pointe Claire (approx. 4.5 km).

Streets & Maps software shows 27 hotels/motels within about 10 km of this area. Quite a few are around Dorval (Pierre Elliott Trudeau) Airport, which is about 7 km away.

Bus service in this area is not very direct. I guess the best thig to do would be decide on a hotel and ask them the best bus route.

The best choice would probably be to take a taxi. Just have your friend make sure he has the address and phone number of the venue and his hotel written down -- there should not be a problem.

This area is called the West Island and is the most English area in Quebec, but many people speak French. Still, if his addresses are written down, a taxi driver will get him there for sure.

BTW, "Du Bois De Liense" should be "Bois de Liesse". Looking at the address in Streets & Maps, it looks like the building is in or near Bois de Liesse, which is a nature park.

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May I ask for your help, Karin? Sep 3, 2007

Dear Karin and Michael,

thank you both for your answers. I will instruct my firned accordingly.
Nevertheless, Karin, may I ask you for something?I have been helping him more or less as a translator of his email communication with the competition organizers and as far as I could learn from the rather taciturn replies from them I am a bit worried he could get involved in some deceit. maybe if you do not live to far form the Theatre, would you please go there and see if it really exists?

It strikes me they boast about how many famous Czech voice professionals and experts participated in the past in their competition either as advicers and consultants or as the jury but on the other hand they are not able to provide us with any detailed information regarding the accommodation, transportation etc. He is supposed to take care of himself. It is to be held in November and there is no exact programme of the competition: http://www.westisland.ca/lyrichoregra20. Ï sppose they should organize the bunch of contestants somehow, pick them up at the airport, give them the details of accommodation and catering in advance, the programme, all other requirements, pictures of the venue, of the hotel etc. And so far nothing...

Of course they say they would arrange him accommodation but from other reasons he prefers to stay in a hotel. Would you please check that for us? But if it is too far for you or you are too busy, do not waist your time on that.

Veronika

Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Fascinating! Sep 3, 2007

Hi Karin!

I would be interested to know what you find if you go over there to see the venue.

On Google Earth it looks like a residential street just south of Gouin Blvd.

The telephone number appears to be for the private home of
Alain Nonat http://www.whitepages.com/10087/log_click/search/Reverse_Phone?npa=514&phone=684-7287

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
a couple of links Sep 3, 2007

Hi Veronika

I found the following program and rules on this competion:
http://www.westisland.ca/lyrichoregra20?category=53&language=en
as well as an short article on the 2005 edition here:
http://www.uwgb.edu/univcomm/news/archive/2005oct.htm
(where there is also a reference to Alain Nonat as founder of the Theatre Lyrichoregra)

You can find further references, including names of past winners and partecipants by searching for "CZECH AND SLOVAK MUSIC COMPETITION" (within quotes) in google.

So I think the contest and venue are real...

Hope this helps,
Roberta

Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The whole story.... (be patient :D ) Sep 3, 2007

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Hi Veronika

I found the following program and rules on this competion:
http://www.westisland.ca/lyrichoregra20?category=53&language=en
as well as an short article on the 2005 edition here:
http://www.uwgb.edu/univcomm/news/archive/2005oct.htm
(where there is also a reference to Alain Nonat as founder of the Theatre Lyrichoregra)

You can find further references, including names of past winners and partecipants by searching for "CZECH AND SLOVAK MUSIC COMPETITION" (within quotes) in google.

So I think the contest and venue are real...

Hope this helps,
Roberta

Dear Roberta,

I did not want to publish the sites since my original question was about the hotel, but thanks anyway, these are exactly the websites we were provided at the beginning. Nevertheless, if you go through them in detail, you'll see how vague the rules are. Where is the accommodation, what is the venue of the competition (I just found out that the actual competition will take place at some Chapelle historique du Bon-Pasteur, but this was discovered only accidentally by thorough searching of the web), where is any programme, times... ? That is what drives me crazy...

The names of participants are only on the Canadian sites (however, Professor Meredith somehow forgot to mention this - she probably wanted to have Jan at her university in Wisconsin). She even claimed it would be cheaper for him to do this round trip in North America: Prague - Wisconsin - Montreal - Prague. She wanted him to have the semi-finals in Wisconsin then go to Montreal for the finals (as if she knew he would suceed and move on) and then not returning back to Wisconsin but flying directly to Prague (CZ).

Not mentioning the fact that he would have to purchase the air ticket from Wisconsin to Montreal from home (Prague) without even knowing he would be eligible for the finals, this is certainly not the cheapest way (travel expenses, insurance, US and Canadian visa, one-way tickets etc.) Therefore, when we found out that he could take part in the semi-finals in Montreal too (they run simultaneously at both places), he wants to go to Montreal directly. And that's the whole story..

But still, thank you all for your help in searching!I feel like a virtual private eye...:lol:

Veronika

[Upraveno: 2007-09-03 18:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hotel in Montreal close to Roxboro / Du Bois De Liense

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs