Mobile menu

Off topic: Care to share tips about Stockholm?
Thread poster: Özden Arıkan

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
English to Turkish
Oct 5, 2007

Hi fellow Prozians,

I will spend two weeks in Stockholm, Sweden, this month. I'll be working hard during most of the daytime, but one thing I can't do after a hard day's work is go home -or to the hotel, in this case- and sleep! So, any tips would be highly appreciated Classical must-sees are welcome, but I'd certainly be interested in off-the-beaten-track sort of things, too! So, does anyone have any suggestions, especially about things that you wouldn't come across in tourism sites - restaurants, pubs, museums, parks, marketplaces, interesting quarters of the city, etc.?

Tack i förskott!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Tips from a Swedish moderator Oct 6, 2007

Hi Özden!

Classical must-sees:
1. The Wasa Museum with the royal Wasa warship that sank in 1628 which is gradually being restored to its then glory.
2. City hall where the Nobel laureates dine and dance (and where I intended to let a Stockholm ProZ conference be entertained by the City of Stockholm).
3. The Katarina lift or nearby Fjällgatan, where you get a magnificent view of the city with its many waterways.
4. The Kaknäs Tower (144 m) where you see Stockholm and parts of the Stockholm Archipelago.
5. My native church, Engelbrektskyrkan, majestically located on a granite cliff, with one of the tallest congregation rooms in Sweden and Europe (excl. S.t Peters in Rome). Beautifully carved granite and red brick makes it truly Nordic.
6. The Royal Palace from 1714 overlooking the harbour and being the most dominant building in the city, located on the northern tip of The Old Town close to the Stockholm Cathedral.
7. The old Town itself dating back from the 13th century onwards with a lot of German street names, being witness of the strong German influence exerted by the Hansa.

Private, subjective tips:
1. Restaurant Cassi, Narvavägen 34, (tube station Karlaplan and neighbour of the French Embassy) IMHO the best in the world (if you take food, price, speed and friendly, civilised atmosphere into consideration). My plate suggestion: Steak Minute, French fries and bearnaise sauce (NO ONE makes either of htem better).
Three sons and one daughter of the now deceased 'pied noir' (Frenchman born and native of Algeria) Monsieur Fitoussy, run the place. I do not get a commission
2. Not far from Cassi: Tudor Arms, genuine English pub with English hours. Very nice owner, Chris, who will take good care of you.

I think that would be enough for a two week visit, but if you would like me to be more specific, please tell me here or eMail me and I,ll try to give you more.
If you want to practice your Swedish, try

Have a nice stay in one of the most beautiful cities of the world!

[Edited at 2007-10-06 07:43]

Vladimir Karoli  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Skansen on Djurgarden Island Oct 6, 2007

Having spent only 4 days in Stockholm, I don't have a lot of tips to share, however, the place I liked most was Skansen on Djurgarden Island. It is a huge open-air museum set in beautiful surroundings. It's a lot of fun and educational at the same time. You won't have any problems spending even half a day walking around all those traditional houses. If you get a chance, do definitely go there.

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Where are you staying in Stockholm? Oct 6, 2007

Have you booked a hotel in central Stockholm or are you out in the suburbs? Just thinking in terms of what to do after a long day at the office...

There's a part of Stockholm that's more "alive" than the rest of the city - it's a pretty quiet city, not at all as dynamic and vibrating as London, for instance - and that's the area called Söder. (also SoFo, which means South of Folkkungagatan.)
If you jump off the subway at Slussen and hang a right coming out of the station you'll hit Hornsgatan/Götgatan.
Head up Hornsgatan and you'll come to an area called Hornsgatspuckeln - loads of art galleries and even some second hand shops (but they're pretty pricey) and Mariatorget. Go up Götgatan and you come to the pubs, trendy shops and hang-outs - and just generally run into people. There's a special atmosphere in this area, more folksy, if you know what I mean. A younger crowd. Nice.
You can follow Götgatan up to Medborgarplatsen. There's a Catholic church in the area and shopping area that has a pretty good food market.

Otherwise - Hötorget and Hötorgshallen are the place to go for food. Skip Östermalmshallen - it costs an arm and a leg just to walk in the door. The subway station is Hötorget and there is both an outdoor food market - fruits, vegetables, nuts, dried fruit, flowers, handicrafts - and an indoor market with food from all over the world, meat, fish, cheeses...Nice.

Hötorget is right next to the Konserthuset - Concert Hall.

A touristy thing that's actually quite nice is taking one of the Strömma Kanalbolaget's boat trips on the weekend. Particularly after a full week of intense work. Very zen.

There are also sightseeing boat tours that take you under the bridges of Stockholm - just google. Stockholm isn't Venice but seeing a city from the water gives a different perspective.

Let me know if you're staying in the suburbs - maybe I know the area and can suggest something closer to hand.

All the best

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
Tulegatan Oct 6, 2007

Thank you, everyone. I'll print this page out and keep it in my bag all the time

Mary Catherine, the hotel I'll stay is on the Tulegatan Street (or does Tulegatan mean "Tule Street"?). It is Birger Jarl. I checked it in Google maps - looks close to the center, am I right?

Mats, thank you so much for the detailed tips - and the Swedish language site will be very useful for me!

And, Vladimir, I will try to go to that island, even though I won't possibly have half a day to spend there, and unfortunately it will get dark earlier as winter approaches, but still I'll try to make it there. What makes me most excited about this trip is, after all, the combination of islands, waterways, boats...

[Edited at 2007-10-06 17:55]

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, Vasastaden... Oct 6, 2007

That's perfect for Hötorget and Konserthuset - it's the green line in the subway system. Stockholm's not that big so it won't take more than 15 minutes, 20 if you window shop, to walk to "downtown" Stockholm. Sveavägen is the main street that will take you right into the middle of things. There is a superb restaurant up your way, several actually. Döden i Grytan (Death in Pot) is a real honest Italian restaurant run by an honest-to-goodness Italian family. Exquisite food - huge portions - pretty pricey, but maybe you can deduct it? But there are tons of great restaurants in Stockholm - I'd go so far as to say that the dining in Stockholm is one of the city's finest points.

Otherwise, the library up your way, on Odengatan is really worth a visit - gorgeous architecture. Vanadisparken is quite nice, lots of little coffee shops here and there.

Djurgården isn't far. You can catch the ferry from Slussen (the subway station, and yes, the green line takes you there). Don't know how much of a walker you are. If the weather's nice you could take the subway to central station and either walk to Djurgården, maybe 2-3 km, along Strandvägen or walk through Kungsträdgården down to an area between Grand Hotel and the Royal Castle to catch a ferry from there to Djurgården. Takes 5 minutes with the ferry. It's not far. The area down by Grand Hotel is next to the National Art Museum and another little island called Skeppsholmen where the Museum of Modern Art is located. Very nice area to walk around. And the Museum of Modern Art has an excellent restaurant.

You're right, it does get dark early during the winter months, but it's only October. So far we have light until about 6.30-7 p.m. so it's not like the real winter months when it's pitchblack at 3.30. And for all their talk about the environment and conserving energy, Stockholmers love their lights. It's not called Twinkle city for nothing.

Hope you enjoy your time in Stockholm, even if you do expect to be working very hard. If nothing else, the autumn air is clean and crisp so just walking can be quite enjoyable.

[Edited at 2007-10-06 18:29]

Giusi Barbiani
English to Italian
+ ...

i have been living in stockholm for five months now and love this town.

don't miss the "language kompis event"... actually, this might interest all translators in the area!

if you feel like a beer and some company in a very friendly place, this is for you! one event every two weeks.

hope you can make it! and maybe we can hook up there.

best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Care to share tips about Stockholm?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs