Mobile menu

Off topic: Job offer scam
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
Member (2004)
English to French
Oct 8, 2007

I'm very tempted to accept their offer...

post of a director in our company and also all expence paid trip
we would like to let let you know that we have gone through your profile and come to a conclusion tht you would have to take a place in our company
as the cheif of directors of our company and chember
we have gone through your details
we would like to know if you are interested to come down to Nigeria for this job oportunity
all expense paid trip.
await your reply........

Nina Khmielnitzky

Direct link Reply with quote

Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A scam for sure Oct 8, 2007

Forget it Nina.

This seems a variation of the infamous 419 crime (in reference to Section 419 of the Nigerian criminal code)

This site is one of many dedicated to fighting this very lucrative crime:

Be safe,

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Don't they know better? Oct 9, 2007

Haven't they realized by now that many people have set their e-mail security setting to automatically block any message containing the word 'Nigeria', that's how notorious these scammers are? It blows my mind they still actually tell you they are in Nigeria!

This is hilarious!

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:33
English to Turkish
Any info on the nature of the job? Oct 9, 2007

If you're not going, perhaps I apply for it... winter is at the door here, you know - brrr!

[Edited at 2007-10-09 06:12]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
English to Italian
hilarious Oct 9, 2007

I had a look at the website mentioned by Abdellatif and there is a section where some people actually spend quite a bit of time and energy taking these scams by the nose.

Generally it starts with an email from Nigeria where a Mr or Mrs X states that he/she has gotten a bunch of money (and we are talking about 6-digit-figures, as we all know) and has decided that a dumba$$ Joe Schmoe should be the recipient of a good 30% of the pie...
As I said, some of these guys actually spend quite some time and effort to keep the scammers at bait. The most hilarious story IMO is the one where the guy had the scammers HANDWRITE, scan and email about 250 pages (yes, you have read correctly, 250 pages) of one of the Harry Potter books telling them that only upon receipt of ALL those pages (that had to be perfect, beware, no mistakes) would he have agreed to give them his bank account information.
They did it!!!!!

If you want to take a break, take a look at the story I was talking about, called:
Harry Potter & The Well of Scammers

[Edited at 2007-10-09 06:43]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Here's another great turning of the tables! Oct 9, 2007

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer scam

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs