Off topic: Words and electrons
Thread poster: Nora Escoms

Nora Escoms  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 15, 2003

Hi, everybody. I received this quotation in today\'s World Wide Words newsletter:

\"Words can have no single fixed meaning. Like wayward electrons, they can spin away from their initial orbit and enter a wider

magnetic field. No one owns them or has a proprietary right to dictate how they will be used.\"

David Lehman; quoted in the \"Cassell Dictionary of Contemporary Quotations\" (1996)]

Isn\'t it a wonderful comparison?

A great weekend to all of you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 02:24
English
+ ...
Nora, I like it ahelluvalot. Feb 16, 2003

There\'s a quantum biology out by Francesco Varela that is an outrageous improvement on dear but dusty Darwin - I dream of quantum grammar.

Words do have souls of their own, though. I keep thinking of words like \"papillon\", which in French is both \"butterfly\" and \"bow tie\". So this soul is a soul of shape or form.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words and electrons

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs