Mobile menu

Off topic: What have you got that's waiting to be repaired?
Thread poster: John Cutler

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2007

I was looking at my kitchen ceiling the other day and thinking about the light fixture that has come a little loose. “I’ve got to get around to repairing that soon”, I thought. “And that loose door handle needs a screw”, I reminded myself.

It occurred to me that we must all have one or maybe more objects, appliances or household fixtures that broke, broke down, went on the blink, came loose or blew a fuse awhile back. We’ve intended to repair, mend or fix it day after day. The days have now turned into weeks, perhaps months, maybe even years and it still hasn’t been restored to working condition! It made me think of my wife’s grandmother and how she saved a TV that went on the blink during the last episode of “Dynasty” and how it has been sitting on a shelf ever since waiting to be brought to the repair shop.

What’s at your house that’s waiting the opportunity to once again serve the purpose it was originally designed for? What have you got that’s waiting to be mended?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:12
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The house, indeed. Oct 16, 2007

Everything needs to be repaired as it's a 30 yeard old house, so we're moving

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
a roof:-) Oct 16, 2007

Illegal works by a neighbour .... the roof has been patched up but it's not legal. So I'm in one of those impossible Spanish legal situations that it might take a decade to sort:-(

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
lots of things :-( Oct 16, 2007

- the door of one of my kitchen cupboards, which suddenly fell out one afternoon in July or August

- my coffee machine, which was smashed by it

- my washing machine which behaves strangely since six or eight weeks

- my printer, but it only broke down last week

and then I have a freezer which I bought a year ago and did not set it up until now, because I cannot decide where to put it up - well, obviously I do not need it
and a shelf I want to put on the wall since spring

Juliana Starkman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Uy... Oct 16, 2007

Hmmm...a beautiful antique walnut desk I got at a garage sale (the great Canadian sport) for 10 dollars. It needs a leg fixed, some inlay repaired and a new leather top.
Also, the stone tiles in our entry and kitchen which the previous owner of the house laid himself, incorrectly, thus leading to the tiles coming up and the grouting in between crumbling.
Finally...the same old owner is responsible for the carpeting on the staircase (wood underneath I think) which made the steps too shallow and led to me flying down them last week and being trapped at home with multiple sprains in my foot for 10 days!
Having said that, all the money for repairs has been spent on 4 tickets to Israel to see family and friends, which is more fun...

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 23:12
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
My 5-Disc carousel CD player Oct 16, 2007

It died about a month and a half ago and I haven't gotten a replacement for it yet. They come pretty cheap nowadays and it was about 10 years old already, so I gave it to someone who wanted to try and fix it instead of getting it fixed myself. Now I just have to stop playing soccer, video games, Gamelan, and guitar (and doing work, of course) for an hour or so so I can get a new one!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Practically everything Oct 17, 2007

Including the electrical at my house, and I have not been able to find an electrician willing to do it.

The only thing that I have that works right is my vehicle, and I depend on it quite a bit, so that's good.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
my life... :-) Oct 17, 2007

hehe. jk. i gotta fixed my laptop adaptor. it seems that it couldn't charge although the indicator light can turn on...

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 01:12
English to Russian
+ ...
It's all relative Oct 17, 2007

As long as it is not my credit history, who cares.

Major things on the waiting list:
Fireplace (gotta get it done before Christmas)
Window lock (debating amongst myself between the lock and the whole window)
Balcony floor (needs tiling) before I can start some serious "balcony gardening".

I'm very proud of my recent huge remodeling/replacements thus no reason to feel guilty:-). Yet...

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Clothes Oct 17, 2007

Clothes - most of my garments with buttons have at least one button missing and I have a little cache of buttons that belong to something, but heaven knows what. Seams that have come undone on duvet covers, boring things like that. I never seem to have time to mend them. Used to do a lot of needlework once.
Regards,
Jenny.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
House and garden :) Oct 17, 2007

Bought a Victorian house last year, which is in good condition but needs things doing if it's to be water- and ice-proof this winter... haven't got round to doing that yet. And I've never had a garden before so have never had to find time to look after it, and don't really know how in any case! It's not too bad yet, but I'll have to find the time soon, or in a couple of years it'll be a pocket-handkerchief-sized wilderness.

I have a load of stuff lying around that I really should put on Freecycle or ebay, but again it's a question of finding the time...

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rolex, Mac SE, antique beaded bag Oct 17, 2007

1. the lovely Rolex I got as graduation present - it's been hiding in a drawer for several years now, waiting to get repaired... repair is so expensive, it's been cheaper to get a swatch in the meantime and change it's wristband every couple of years to keep it going

2. My first computer, a Mac SE - sitting in the bookshelf. It is suffering from "stiction" and I found instructions on how to fix it, which I printed and keep with the SE... one of these days I'll try and fix it

3. Unfinished antique beaded purse, which I got from my grandmother who in turn got it from one of her aunts... it was never finished, and my grandmother thought that I may one day be able to complete this little jewel...

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Electrical goods Oct 17, 2007

A pair of Wharfedale Diamond speakers (now 20 years old and waiting for repair for 8 of these), CD player (stopped working about 5 years ago, but as we've got another we haven't got round to repairing it), amp (also about 20 years old and with an intermittent problem which magically cleared up the last time we took it to be fixed, about 4 years ago).

We've also got an unused light fitting still waiting to be blocked up (the last attempt, about 5 years ago, was abandoned after my partner gouged a hole out of the cover, and we haven't got a new one yet).

I think that's about it.

No, Roberta's bag has reminded me that I've also got two skirts waiting to be taken in (I bought them too big) and a coat and a dress whose zips need replacing.

[Edited at 2007-10-17 12:03]

AND a pair of trousers also needing a new zip.

[Edited at 2007-10-18 08:51]

Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
English to French
+ ...
The house, too... Oct 17, 2007

My husband had bought a house 20 years ago, which was rented to the same people for all those years. That family never fixed a thing for... 20 years, so we are now camping in it and fixing, repairing or changing one thing after another... It's going to take a while!

juvera  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That baffles me Oct 21, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:
Everything needs to be repaired as it's a 30 yeard old house, so we're moving

30 years is the equivalent of a teenager as far as decent houses go.

The best buy when it comes to houses is one needing comprehensive repairs, because you can do what you want with it and don't have to live with somebody else's idea what your floors, lighting, kitchen, bathroom, decoration and such like should be.

It means that if the major points, the house itself, the locality is what you want, therefore you buy the house, you don't have to pay for what they think as "improvements" and take it out and replace it if it is really horrid or bad.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What have you got that's waiting to be repaired?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs